Best book for a beginner

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just wanted to see if I was ordering the correct book and not wasting however nominal amount of money it is. So I am not sure who I need to give a break too.

To me, I've been ordering more books recently from this forum. Amazon books links are an almost insta-buy.

Have fun bud :) It's a beautiful day.

AuBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To me, I've been ordering more books recently from this forum. Amazon books links are an almost insta-buy.

Have fun bud :) It's a beautiful day.

Ha sorry about that. I know what you mean I just joined and my shopping list is growing quite rapidly.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As fourteener said, http://bonsai4me.com is a great resource if you want to get some basic knowledge. The author, Harry Harrington, has three books out (at least), Bonsai Basics, Bonsai Inspirations I, and Bonsai Inspirations II. I have the latter two books as I had already read a lot about what he covered in Bonsai Basics. In the inspiration books he goes into detail on different techniques he used on different trees and each individual tree has a series of progression pictures to show you how he transformed them. Plus each different species he works on has a sort of cheat sheet with information on their specific needs and requirements. His books are much more detailed than the old books I found at my library. I definitely recommend both of them. The digital versions are both $9.99 a piece, or you can buy a paper copy for quite a bit more.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm re-reading Harry's books now. Bought them both last year for Kindle. Reading them again and there is so much more "clicking" this time around. I recommend those books for a beginner. And I would strongly suggest picking them back up next year also.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai -

Deborah Koreshoff
Amy Liang

Penjing-

Hu Yunhua
Wu yee sun

The first 35 Bonsai Today

Indoor Bonsai by Brooklyn Botannical gardens.

Harry Harrington is great for showing how fast you can grow in a zone 8 to 9.

Good Morning.
Anthony

Top Bottom