Beuvronensis pine worth it?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is Pinus sylvestris Beuvronensis better for bonsai than the usual scotts pine? Are the needles shorter? Are they grafted or grown from seed?

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
They do have shorter needles and are only found grafted....might be possible to ground layer them in the long term?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was hoping it was a regional variant that could be grown from seed. Layering scots pine sounds like a massive pain in the ass. Think Ill just dig up a normal one then.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
Air layer, low chance of success. Ground layer on the other hand, I find young Scots Pine happily produce a new nebari if wire looped and buried in a deep pot or the ground

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn, the cultivar has such short needles tho. Might buy one and make cuttings + sow seeds. Google says if you do it right a certain percentage will strike, up to 50%.
Theres some scots pine and beuvronensis scots pine in this video, for reference

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Damn, the cultivar has such short needles tho. Might buy one and make cuttings + sow seeds. Google says if you do it right a certain percentage will strike, up to 50%.
Theres some scots pine and beuvronensis scots pine in this video, for reference
Oh, wow. I suppose that when in a large nursery setting with thousands of trees, that’s about the best he can do.

But look at those old imported trees he shows... he’s ruined them!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not done yet, here is a vert of where its going.

View attachment 323121
Good. It may not even need that lowest “drop” branch. The foliage is so far away from the trunk, it spoils the image. There’s just too much mass there.

On the other hand, if it were Jin, that might aid in depicting an old tree.

Something to think about...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good. It may not even need that lowest “drop” branch. The foliage is so far away from the trunk, it spoils the image. There’s just too much mass there.

On the other hand, if it were Jin, that might aid in depicting an old tree.

Something to think about...

Possibly, will have to think on that when it gets further along.
Also might be some trunk carving in its future on one side where I have removed the octopus branching it had when I got it.
Been slowly eliminating them over the years. One left that Ive kept only because I wanted to try some grafting,

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Only if you can pronounce it.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some small needle cultivars produce fat twigs which make a tree not fit to scale down.
I'd look into that first before anything else.

Italian scots pines naturally have smaller needles. Norwegian type scots pines backbud really well. The watereri cultivar does both, and has a nice blue shine, but it also has super fat twigs which makes it less ideal for a small tree.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You could grow some regular Scots Pine from seed, do the cutting thing on them to start a great nebari, then do a really low graft of the Beuvronensis onto that as the root stock.

This is what I plan to do, I've got a lot of recently cut Scots Pines right now, hopefully they'll pull through like my JBP did earlier this year.

I Like keri-wms' ground layer idea though, if it works a 3+ year head start on my approach.

win320

Mame
Reaction score
You could grow some regular Scots Pine from seed, do the cutting thing on them to start a great nebari, then do a really low graft of the Beuvronensis onto that as the root stock.

This is what I plan to do, I've got a lot of recently cut Scots Pines right now, hopefully they'll pull through like my JBP did earlier this year.

I Like keri-wms' ground layer idea though, if it works a 3+ year head start on my approach.
Thanks, Jeff,

Could you please share Scots pine seedling cutting pic (I am trying), do they root well. Have you tried grafting beuvronesis yet? thanks

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Win320,

Sadly my scots cuttings got annihilated by fungus gnat larvae. They got in at the cutting point and ate up thru the stems.

I started a new grow of scots and have used tourniquets instead to do early root pruning. Too early to say how well this has gone, I'll now repot them in Aug/Sept, and will update then!

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Win320,

Sadly my scots cuttings got annihilated by fungus gnat larvae. They got in at the cutting point and ate up thru the stems.

I started a new grow of scots and have used tourniquets instead to do early root pruning. Too early to say how well this has gone, I'll now repot them in Aug/Sept, and will update then!
sad to hear about the damage by fungus gnats, my JBP (2-3 seedlings out of 16 have been eaten, I mean only the stem and needles were remaining and I was wondering what happened overnight). It could be fungus gnats (growing media was only milled sphagnum moss).

Did fungus gnats only attack Scots pine seedlings or JBP as well?

Thanks

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just the scots, my JBP were well advanced before the gnats arrived. I'll put some JBP pics in the other thread.

Top Bottom