BioChar For Real.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Seems to be a good link between BioChar and lessening the need for root growth, as we may have increased the availability of space for good fungals to populate, thereby lessening the need for roots to go searching for the life converting nutrients for them.

This can prove very valuable in our quest to Repot less.

get off of YouTube references and into a real science based discussion

The Sorceress has this bias against YouTube too, so I get it, I reckon it's all about how you train the algorithms.
Sad that greed ruined the integrity of scientific papers and almost the University system in it's entirety, but there's always that 20% of Good(as opposed to Evil not bad info.)
I believe there is a skill one must build to be able to notice the Good from the Evil, to suss out the correct information.

One of the Largest things I guage as Good information by is it's costless availability.

This is why I find Intelligent, Observed information on YouTube a highly valuable and more reliable resource than elsewhere.

I'm glad some Indian kid got a useless degree by writing a useless paper, but....

I am on your side, not sure where that may have got misconstrued. Forgive my delay in addressing it. Some folks tend to get so damn anal they completely ruin threads and worse, threads of thought that lead to righteous conclusions!

Anyway.....this contradiction hit me hard after I watched this one ....

Interesting how some of those charts show that natural twigginess and taper is actually improved with the use of BioChar.

Once the BS is sorted, I believe we will find this to be a part of the actual "perfect soil".

😊

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scored a couple of these extra large cookie tins at the thrift yesterday. Marked the official first actual purposeful making of BioChar.
20220608_073810.jpg
20220608_073756.jpg

I Japanese super scissored 4 holes on the bottom, 12, 3, 6 and 9. The tin on the bottom fired well, mostly good dry juniper, some wetter deck wood leftover from the garden beds didn't burn all the way through. The tin I tossed on top half way through for education, mostly wetter deck wood, didn't burn at all, expected.

Got some good stuff from the firing woodstock too.
Now to utilize my, now 3, jars of urine.

Cascaded energy went to child entertainment, it was fun!

This is garden bound, still trying to come up with a plentiful amount of something bonsai soil size for pots. I may screen out some of this for pots.

Fire.

Sorce

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scored a couple of these extra large cookie tins at the thrift yesterday. Marked the official first actual purposeful making of BioChar.
View attachment 440980
View attachment 440979

I Japanese super scissored 4 holes on the bottom, 12, 3, 6 and 9. The tin on the bottom fired well, mostly good dry juniper, some wetter deck wood leftover from the garden beds didn't burn all the way through. The tin I tossed on top half way through for education, mostly wetter deck wood, didn't burn at all, expected.

This is garden bound, still trying to come up with a plentiful amount of something bonsai soil size for pots. I may screen out some of this for pots.

Fire.

Sorce
Is there an... how you call it... olive orchard in IL? If they also process olives, you may be able to get the olive kernels. then make biochar from these pits. The advantage is that these are more compatible with the particle size of our bonsai substrate.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 440980
View attachment 440979

Fire.

Sorce

You got the bin up and running nice!!

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
L
View attachment 440980
View attachment 440979

Fire.

Sorce
Looks alot like mine. Only difference is I use a 35 gallon drum for the inner tub.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got the bin up and running nice!!

That's just my lil "firepit", I forgot you were there when I found that drum!

I got my eye on a
35 gallon
ish drum at the thrift store. Ish cuz it's old, eyeing cuz it's full of skiis, skiis? Really? I been thinking about using ski poles for garden stakes!🤣

Sorce

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's just my lil "firepit", I forgot you were there when I found that drum!

I got my eye on a ish drum at the thrift store. Ish cuz it's old, eyeing cuz it's full of skiis, skiis? Really? I been thinking about using ski poles for garden stakes!🤣

Sorce
I have about 2 inches of sand in the bottom of the 55g drum. While I dont use ski poles I do use rebar to hold the 35g drum up. When its time I pull out the rebar alow the 35 to set down in the sand to seal the bottom. I guess ski poles would work.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Check a oil change place and ask for a grease drum. Most of the time they are free as there not a deposit on those like some of the bigger drums

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
i use this:

Im very happy with it. i also throw some granular mycorhizae in. im not promoting any products. i just know trhis is innoculated and ive seen results. I use very little of it.

ChadA2

Seedling
Reaction score
Feel like the only way we’ll know for sure is for someone to do a DOE and to carefully analyze the data ;)

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Feel like the only way we’ll know for sure is for someone to do a DOE and to carefully analyze the data ;)
I don't think there is a need to do an experiment with it as it is a proven fact that biochar works. The issue would be getting particles the correct size for bonsai soil. That can be easily overcome using the biochar sold be The Andersons. They use a DG technology that allows the granules to break up and disperse into the bonsai pot, allowing them to build up the CEC of whatever inorganic material you use.

I have used it in my lawn, which is sitting on top of clay. The difference is pretty obvious when you look at it, in comparison with the rest of the yards in the area. The only time the other yards look the same is on spring when people do their top dressing with compost, but about a month later, mine is still dark green while the rest start to fade. I started incorporating it in my trees, and so far the results are pretty good. Especially on my trident maple. The one I am using now have extra components, in addition to biochar, it contains microbials (mycorrhiza), humic acid, corn distillates and molasses.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This means corners are being cut on shipped product.

I recently started working for the guy in the first video (Bob Wells/New England Biochar) on the weekends (just for shits and giggles).

I can assure you that no corners are being cut on his products. He readily admits that he sells one of the most expensive Biochar products on the market but, he also proudly boasts that it’s the best. Basically he breaks even on the Biochar. Consulting and the manufacturing/sale of large commercial retorts make up the core of his business.

I just brought a cubic yard of the tree mix home to start playing with. Can’t wait to get started.

Top Bottom