Blue spruce HELP!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Facepalm. Well I heard from a few that it was a good time and I read a few things saying summer so I went for it. I guess it was only 12 bucks so if it doesn’t make it it’s a shame but not a horrible monetary loss at least.

It was in such horrible clay that it was like a brick. It was tough teasing out the roots and it really didn’t have any. I did not prune any roots or anything off the top. I tried to leave some of the soil but when I teased the center it all dropped out so there’s goes a half and half. I feel like at least the roots can breathe now so maybe it will be able to pull through. It’s got good growth up too it seems so I’m betting it’ll work out.

It does have a bit of a bulge not sure if it’s a graft? But I don’t think it would be. So we’ll see how that plays out in the long run. But it’s got cool movement and I’m excited to see what I can make of it (if it survives ;) )

below are a few pics and resources that said summer. I have a red line where I think it may go but there’s still great movement above that so who knows I have at least a year to ponder. I top dressed with blended sphagnum and moss to hopefully get moss to grow that way.

I think you may be listening to the wrong people?? I don't see anyone with decent trees routinely performing mid summer re-pots ;) mainly because summer re-pots are controversial at best... I don't do them unless I absolutely have no other choice. Unfortunately, it sounds like your tree might have been balled and burlapped after being grown out in heavy clay. Removing the clay soil from that root system should be done over at least 2-3 re-pots carried out over at least 3-4 years and not done all at once in mid July. I'd get your tree in the shade and spray/mist the foliage every time you're in the garden but be careful watering the pot... and don't hold your breath on its survival. A better plan might have been to reduce the trunk this fall while planning an initial re-pot next spring. Anyway, you're better for the experience even if the tree isn't :p... and I'd go back to HD and grab another one to mess around with but maybe alter your timing and technique with this second go-round.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think you may be listening to the wrong people?? I don't see anyone with decent trees routinely performing mid summer re-pots ;) mainly because summer re-pots are controversial at best... I don't do them unless I absolutely have no other choice. Unfortunately, it sounds like your tree might have been balled and burlapped after being grown out in heavy clay. Removing the clay soil from that root system should be done over at least 2-3 re-pots carried out over at least 3-4 years and not done all at once in mid July. I'd get your tree in the shade and spray/mist the foliage every time you're in the garden but be careful watering the pot... and don't hold your breath on its survival. A better plan might have been to reduce the trunk this fall while planning an initial re-pot next spring. Anyway, you're better for the experience even if the tree isn't :p... and I'd go back to HD and grab another one to mess around with but maybe alter your timing and technique with this second go-round.
Yes it was BB and then shoved in a pot with potting soil around it. The soil was wet but inside the burlap was 100% dry and like concrete / bricks. This was the main problem with trying to remove anything, I would try to chip out a little bit and a large hunk would fall out, so it ended how it ended, Haha not holding my breath but hoping for the best. It is in a good spot getting good after care and that is that, we'll see in about 1 year how it is looking (if it makes it that long). I may go back, there were tons of nice trees for 75%+ off! Yeah if this one does pull through it would be interesting doing the same species just a different season and see the differences (might be one is dead and one is not or maybe difference in vigor etc)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes it was BB and then shoved in a pot with potting soil around it. The soil was wet but inside the burlap was 100% dry and like concrete / bricks. This was the main problem with trying to remove anything, I would try to chip out a little bit and a large hunk would fall out, so it ended how it ended, Haha not holding my breath but hoping for the best. It is in a good spot getting good after care and that is that, we'll see in about 1 year how it is looking (if it makes it that long). I may go back, there were tons of nice trees for 75%+ off! Yeah if this one does pull through it would be interesting doing the same species just a different season and see the differences (might be one is dead and one is not or maybe difference in vigor etc)
A hose with running water, a chopstick or two, an outdoor stereo or speakers hooked up to your iPhone, and a six pack of your favorite beer is what I would have together the next time you consider working on a balled and burlapped root system :). Plan on spending two or three hours gently picking at the clay then washing it away with the hose and only removing about 1/3 of the clay in that time. For what it’s worth, I don’t think you’re going to have to wait a year to see where your recently repotted tree stands as far as the work done to it recently 😬.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A hose with running water, a chopstick or two, an outdoor stereo or speakers hooked up to your iPhone, and a six pack of your favorite beer is what I would have together the next time you consider working on a balled and burlapped root system :). Plan on spending two or three hours gently picking at the clay then washing it away with the hose and only removing about 1/3 of the clay in that time. For what it’s worth, I don’t think you’re going to have to wait a year to see where your recently repotted tree stands as far as the work done to it recently 😬.

😂😂😂 yea I know you and most others (not meant to sound mean). It’s ok like I’ve stated numerous times I am totally ok learning and being comfortable telling people I am not an expert and don’t know what I’m doing (while also documenting so others can learn from mistakes). Every time I make a silly mistake I find more resources , people , and ways to reduce them in the future.

But I do like how you go about root work with some beer and good music hahah

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
😂😂😂 yea I know you and everyone else (not meant to sound mean). It’s ok like I’ve stated numerous times I am totally ok learning and being comfortable telling people I am not an expert and don’t know what I’m doing (while also documenting so others can learn from mistakes). Every time I make a silly mistake I find more resources , people , and ways to reduce them in the future.

But I do like how you go about root work with some beer and good music hahah
For the record, the time spent wiring, pruning and simply enjoying your bonsai are enhanced with a good IPA and your favorite song list😎

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was just wondering if your tree is a columnar type. Doesn't make any difference on the repot timing question, of course, just wondering what its plant tag says.

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s only been about what 10 days…. And… tree still looks great ahah. I’m sure it’ll take longer than that but nothing is browning, dropping etc.

Fingers crossed I’m still doing bonsai not bonfire as @Shogun610 says

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Spring bare root from b&b clay here -100% success. All success had with this tree is completely attributed to the wealth of advice given in this thread :

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Spring bare root from b&b clay here -100% success. All success had with this tree is completely attributed to the wealth of advice given in this thread :

@TN_Jim as you can see I did a bareroot out of BB as well. It seems like there was a lot of pushback but I have read more and more people doing this. I am not saying it is the best way (and probably later summer was not as ideal as spring in many climates) but when it was suffocated in the clay and the roots were not thriving I would say anything is better than nothing.

When I did mine it looks like there are basically no roots, but I went through and broke up the clay after I did it and saw very MINIMAL roots in the clay, meaning I didn't rip off many roots at all. Maybe it was the fine hair roots etc whatever.

I am thinking this thing is thriving because it has I would say 85-90% of its roots but now it actually has room to expand and breathe.

So again I am not good at bonsai nor giving advice, but I think dependent on climate, timing, and circumstance (heavy clay and suffocating) bare rooting will work fine. Yes I am sure HBR is more conservative but hey $10 bucks and a heck of learning is worth it to me to try! But again we will see in the spring how it rebounds. :)

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well I went out and was taking a look at this tree and got curious so I tipped it on its side and look what was peaking out! I think shes recovering just fine. TONS of large strong roots coming out all over.

Attachments

• 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 82

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! I have to admit I am a little surprised - that was a pretty aggressive repot. But sometimes you roll the dice and get a good result :)

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! I have to admit I am a little surprised - that was a pretty aggressive repot. But sometimes you roll the dice and get a good result :)
I cant say im not a bit surprised myself. The only thing I can think of why it made it was it was so suffocated in that hard clay that maybe once the roots could breathe/ get water it was happy enough to come back??

No idea, rolled the dice and won. NOT SAYING this should be how people do this before people get angry about how I did it haha. I know it was a bit of a gamble but hey paid off this time. We'll now see how winter goes.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I cant say im not a bit surprised myself. The only thing I can think of why it made it was it was so suffocated in that hard clay that maybe once the roots could breathe/ get water it was happy enough to come back??

No idea, rolled the dice and won. NOT SAYING this should be how people do this before people get angry about how I did it haha. I know it was a bit of a gamble but hey paid off this time. We'll now see how winter goes.

In my opinion, it’s not really black-and-white, that “spring works and summer doesn’t work.” I would view it as more of a gradient of probability of success. I tend to think that spring offers the greatest probability of success, but that doesn’t mean that summer will never work. Just more risk of failure, I think. Perhaps some food for thought :)

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Update on this tree it’s thriving this spring with tons of buds on it. I am still deciding if it’s worth going forward with. The graft point is pretty rough and bulging. Any opinions?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update on this tree it’s thriving this spring with tons of buds on it. I am still deciding if it’s worth going forward with. The graft point is pretty rough and bulging. Any opinions?
Drive on with this, please.
The graft can be buried or almost buried without looking terrible.

Top Bottom