Bonsai near balcony door... did i just kill my bonsai?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had a caffra at Bok Tower Gardens that eventually succumbed to root fungus.
Did it just wilt one day, and then died shortly after? I had that happen to one, I had no idea why.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Did it just wilt one day, and then died shortly after? I had that happen to one, I had no idea why.
I believe it turned pretty quickly. It was Armillaria fungus. Check under the bark for white fungi next time it happens. The fungus attacks a lot of hardwood plants usually around the base or right underground. It was bad there, camellias, podocarpus, Aloysia and lots of other stuff got it.

MalcolmMc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The tree is alive and growing again. Should I pinch the leaves growing on the trunk as soon as I see them? I left these ones for a bit because I didn't want to go in and harm the tree further.

Attachments

• 20190204_181347.jpg
    20190204_181347.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 22

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You can let the branches low on the trunk grow out for a distance, to help thicken the lower trunk. Just let them run. When they are a couple years old, cut them off, prune flush with the trunk. If new sprout you can let them run if you still want to thicken the lower trunk.

Or if you are happy with the diameter of the trunk, then prune them off now. You won't hurt the tree.

MalcolmMc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You can let the branches low on the trunk grow out for a distance, to help thicken the lower trunk. Just let them run. When they are a couple years old, cut them off, prune flush with the trunk. If new sprout you can let them run if you still want to thicken the lower trunk.

Or if you are happy with the diameter of the trunk, then prune them off now. You won't hurt the tree.

Thanks for the help. Begin new I'm still working out when I'm allowed to prune and when I need to wait to prune.

I removed the leaves growing on the trunk

Top Bottom