Bonsai on the Bayou Houston, TX April 11-14, 2019

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry to hear that. There is a lot of free content though - be sure to stop in at one of the many seminars. They’ll be going on all the time and admission to them is included with your registration. And be sure and stop by to say howdy! I’ll be the tall guy running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Lol.

Thanks, Mark! I’ll definitely be enjoying all I can.

We’ve met before! You may not remember, it’s been a while. I had a tall Foemina Juniper at one of the BYOT Studies at Quality Feed. I had unfortunately broken the highest branch in transport. It’s healed pretty well!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Supermoon rising over my beautiful city. I took this the other day after my son’s lacrosse game.
96750064-142D-4CCF-9A75-3620AA12AA09.jpeg

Not much better weather to be found than springtime in Houston. Hope you find your way down here for a visit and to join us at Bonsai on the Bayou. We’ll have a cold Shiner waiting for you. There’s still time to register for what’s become the largest bonsai convention ever in Texas. Hope to see you there!

S

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
Do we have to pay the fee to just shop the vendor area?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do we have to pay the fee to just shop the vendor area?

Hi wlambeth. Access to the exhibit and the vendor area is free - you just need a visitor badge. You can pre-register for one or just show up and get it at the registration desk. There are all sorts of paid registration options for you to consider that will give you access to the workshops, seminars, demonstrations, auctions, raffles, and other convention activities. Hope to see you there!

wlambeth

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will look at the other options and see. I’m driving from Dallas so I didn’t want to spend on a hotel as it leaves more money for shopping!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the info. I will look at the other options and see. I’m driving from Dallas so I didn’t want to spend on a hotel as it leaves more money for shopping!

Be sure to check at the convention hotel if there are rooms left - we negotiated an excellent rate. And let me know if there are no more rooms in the convention block. We might be able to negotiate for more.

S

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Will Mirai have anything set up in the vendor area? I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of Lime and tell him he's got the coolest name ever.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Will Mirai have anything set up in the vendor area? I'm hoping to catch a glimpse of Lime and tell him he's got the coolest name ever.

Afraid not. Mirai will not be vending at the convention. But there are abt 60 table worth of vendor material. Hopefully you’ll find something you like.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I went on Saturday afternoon. Overall, it was quiet a show. This is my first time to a real bonsai show. Camera taking terrible photos
IMG_20190413_143738.jpgIMG_20190413_145017.jpgIMG_20190413_144418.jpgIMG_20190413_144551.jpgIMG_20190413_144356.jpgIMG_20190413_144539.jpgIMG_20190413_145133.jpgIMG_20190413_143738.jpg

Score a couple vintage Japanese low profile planting pots/trays. These are 30 or 40 year old. Always love these nice clean lines pots.
The second one is closer to 2 feet long.
IMG_20190415_063849.jpgIMG_20190415_063723.jpgIMG_20190415_063751.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scott, someone posted some video snippets of Ryan's show critique on a private facebook group (saw you lurking in the background at one point). Do you know if there will be
any publicly available videos of the critique or maybe the discussion of "American Bonsai" I read about?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scott, someone posted some video snippets of Ryan's show critique on a private facebook group (saw you lurking in the background at one point). Do you know if there will be
any publicly available videos of the critique or maybe the discussion of "American Bonsai" I read about?
Scott can easily lurk from behind a crowd since he’s about two feet taller than everyone else!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the photos @markyscott. Any info or a link to who the winners were (names)?

There were a number of winners - Pete Parker (Best in Show, Best Deciduous, Best Tropical, Best Kusamono), Mark Fields (Best Shohin Display), myself (ABS award, Best Shohin Tree), Dawn Koetting (Best Texas Native), Rob Kempinski (Tropical Honorable Mention), Vern Maddox (Best Suiseki), Luis Teran (Joshua Roth New Talent Winner), Howard Smith (Best Conifer).

There are more, but I can’t think of them right now.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Hi coh

Yes there will be videos. Bonsai Supply came in from Florida - they took a lot of footage and will be producing a video of the event. Also @BillsBayou was there with a camera glued to his eyeball. He’s already posted several videos.

- S

Top Bottom