Bonsainut Zoom meeting idea?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I believe in 2020 we had a new years zoom meeting. It was great to know each other even though I was just watching and typing in the chat 😂 Due to the season we couldn't show our trees and I was wondering if should have a zoom meeting where people can show their trees. Personally, I think it's better to see live videos and ask questions other than just forums. Just a thought but I think it's a great idea.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my experience with bonsai zoom meetings.....

OK everybody mute
Who has chickens? Please mute unless you're commenting.
Tom, you're dog is making it impossible to hear the presentation.
Jane, you're on mute. You're on mute. If you're trying to respond, you're on mute.
Bill is emailing that he doesn't know how to make his screen bigger.
Bill now is talking, but has his own speakers on mute. Will somebody hold up a sign for him and tell him he won't be able to hear us until he turns his speakers on?

and so on......:D

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I missed the last one..

I've since been unable to forgive myself.

Here's my experience with bonsai zoom meetings.....

OK everybody mute
Jane, you're on mute. You're on mute. If you're trying to respond, you're on mute.
Bill now is talking, but has his own speakers on mute. Will somebody hold up a sign for him and tell him he won't be able to hear us until he turns his speakers on?

and so on......:D
That sounds, honestly, like a BLAST!

Am I "Bill"?...

..It seems like I'd be Bill.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My own experience with Zoom:

Me: Who is DementedFurry? This is first grade and you should be logged in to your school account, using your real name.
Me: Sam. Take the camera out of your nose.
Me: Zeke, please sit down with your laptop. We are getting sick.
Me: Marin, sweetie, I know you've been speaking Spanish all day every day while you're at home, but we need you to speak English in class.
Me: Naomi, I'm impressed that you figured out how to set up a class and invite everyone. This isn't our scheduled time for class. What's on your mind?
Me: Sam, you're logged in as your sister again. It's OK, but remember that you won't be able to see our assignments unless you log in as you.

Maybe it would be more fun if I weren't responsible for any of it.

Last edited:

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK everybody mute
Spot on. Sounds like the past 2 years at the office. Thankfully, I bill by the hour.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My own experience with Zoom:

Me: Who is DementedFurry? This is first grade and you should be logged in to your school account, using your real name.
Me: Sam. Take the camera out of your nose.
Me: Zeke, please sit down with your laptop. We are getting sick.
Me: Marin, sweetie, I know you've been speaking Spanish all day every day while you're at home, but we need you to speak English in class.
Me: Naomi, I'm impressed that you figured out how to set up a class and invite everyone. This isn't our scheduled time for class. What's on your mind?
Me: Sam, you're logged in as your sister again. It's OK, but remember that you won't be able to see our assignments unless you log in as you.

Maybe it would be more fun if I weren't responsible for any of it.
You'd think it'd be better with a high school that specializes in virtual classes.
It's not.

You get used to it after a while.
Ok, not really, but after a certain point the lunacy becomes a fuzzy balance of numbness and tears of pride.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Only if you sit down because you’ll make us all sick

:D
Dang!

People are ALWAYS telling me to "sit down".. and "I'm making them uncomfortable"... And to "...No need to yell everything I'm saying." and to "Calm down." Because my "Energy is scaring them."

😂

I sound alot like Matt Foley when I type that out.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You'd think it'd be better with a high school that specializes in virtual classes.
It's not.

You get used to it after a while.
Ok, not really, but after a certain point the lunacy becomes a fuzzy balance of numbness and tears of pride.
I was fortunate in that I only had to do virtual first grade for 2.5 months. I had turned in my retirement notification 2 months prior to the start of the pandemic, didn't see anything happening that made me regret that decision. I attended graduate school in mostly virtual settings. Can't remember the system we were using, but it was much more sophisticated and secure than Zoom. Also the students were mature and motivated and there was no shenanigans.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was fortunate in that I only had to do virtual first grade for 2.5 months. I had turned in my retirement notification 2 months prior to the start of the pandemic, didn't see anything happening that made me regret that decision. I attended graduate school in mostly virtual settings. Can't remember the system we were using, but it was much more sophisticated and secure than Zoom. Also the students were mature and motivated and there was no shenanigans.
Studly Rob teaches 5th grade.. mostly virtually these last few years, in Oregon.

He pretty much said that, too.

The kids who would "make trouble" would do so EITHER way.

He said he actually enjoyed the extra "barrier" between them...

I responded with a "Skeptical stare" of an inquiry response..

...He no longer teaches...

He's a "House-Husband"..

Now THAT'S the dream...

Need me a "Sugar Mamma"

😂😂

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We use MS Teams. Used to be Skype For Business, but it's pretty much an entirely different thing now days.
Our biggest issue is getting students to even show, or do anything when they do. We're mostly a last ditch school if you judge by our demographics, so it's either no shows or bad excuses for the most part.
The ones who are interested do amazing though.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Back to @Njyamadori's original thought, seems like a nice idea but @Bonsai Nut is very busy I know.
If we did part of it as a virtual live tree, pot and accessories auction, it would make going through the trouble much more worthwhile.

Top Bottom