Bristlecone pine?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
growing native

From what I have been told dormancy requirements can be very importaint as well. Here in Santa Cruz, CA (sorry:p ) I have been told by many that it does not get cold enough for some pines like JWP because it does not get cold enough long enough to kill off canker fungus (am I correct on this?), and could be the reason no one grows them around here that I am aware of. Maby same for Bristlecone? However most other pines do fine here if given enough water, for instance if Monterey Pine goes through to many drought years it can be much more succeptible to decline from canker fungus, so they do not like it to dry and not to wet either. As for Monterey Cypress, this is a very eco sensitive species because it has adapted to absorb water through its foliage like a juniper so needs to be in a foggy costal environment and have watering requirements similar to Monterey Pine, little but enough in summer (in a container) and lots in winter. You do not see M. Cypress inland from here where there is no marine layer in the summer.

I know I am rambling but my point is that sometimes plants native to other areas can be easy, like Beech and sometimes they can have one or two very specific requirement from their area instead of the growers area. Sometimes this could be simulated by misting but I for one do not have enough freezer space for my food let alone trees:) .

Last edited:

onthefringe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila Soos,
Cool, I wouldn't count out the valuable experience you've gained through caring for your container grown tree. It will undoubtly pay off if you do aquire a worthy yamadori.

Fourmilemark,
While it is true that many species require cold dormancy, individuals within a given species may not. Alot depends upon provenence(Where the tree's in particular are believed to have evovled) ,and which species. Just for example a given Red Maple found in the Maine woods would likely set buds and harden off much sooner than a Red Maple found in South Carolina. So that if you were to move either tree to the other location they are likely not going to flourish in the other location because their provenence. The tree from the south would likely not harden buds soon enough losing most of its buds before spring and the tree from the North may not take full advantage of the longer growing season being passed up in vigor by native Red Maples in the South. Even though they are both technically Red Maples where they have originated from has much to do with where they would do best at. The other thing about provenence is that while some species are very conditioned to location others are apparently unaffected so it is a bit of a slippery slope to generalize completely.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Onthefringe,

I agree completely. This would apply more for collected material I believe.:) , however...

I emailed Brent from Evergreen Garden Works about the viability of JWP in my area and he really echoed my current education on fungus problems with these pines where it does not get cold enough (way below freezing for a long time in the winter). My experience is in Arboriculture as a tree service owner and not so much in Bonsai which has come of late. Your example of Red Maple I believe is a little different than that of Monterey Pine or Cypress in that this species only grows in this small confined area and from my observation is because of its susceptablity to canker fungus which almost all carry but do not decline from due to perfect environmental conditions that they have evolved in. Take them out of these prefered conditions, as in the landscape environment in a slightly different eco-tone (like up 1000 feet) and they tend to decline from fungal diseases like Seridium Canker. This area I live has many drastically different ecotones in a very short distance and altitude gain.

Just so that I am not misunderstood I am talking about humidity requirements for the native trees here and not dormancy requirements, although I am curiouse about whether JWP has a cultivar that might do good w/o a cold winter.

Last edited:

onthefringe

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FourMileMark,
I see. I did kind of head down a bit of a rabbit trail didn't I. I'm sure this won't be the last time. :D

I must confess Insects and Diseases are my weak point. They are the only classes left I have even a remote interest in but since they really wont help with a digree I find it really hard to talk myself into taking them. I'm told the Professor is a gas since he's passionate about both and realizes most people aren't he tends to lean on the easy side.

I tend to really on a few friends a bit much who are in on the know with diseases. Just saying it really makes me sound lame. Wow I really gotta take those classes now.:D

Chances are pretty good if there is a JWP that doesn't require cold dormancy it probably exists in literature somewhere. I could not see the Japanese not documenting such a tree. Considering The thousands of Azaleas, and Maples cultivars I'm sure a list must exist for JWP. IT's finding the list then someone who is familiar withit to help you swim through it.:)

Reaction score
FourMileMark
I tend to really on a few friends a bit much who are in on the know with diseases. Just saying it really makes me sound lame. Wow I really gotta take those classes now.:D

It took me a while to realize you meant "rely";) Maybe a spelling class would help you too:D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I emailed Brent from Evergreen Garden Works about the viability of JWP in my area and he really echoed my current education on fungus problems with these pines where it does not get cold enough (way below freezing for a long time in the winter).

I have not been successful keeping JWP in Orange County, UNLESS they are grafts on JBP root stock, in which case they seem to do fine. I still have some JWP seedlings that are going into their second year with me (on their original roots) but they are very weak and I don't have a lot of hope for them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an interesting thread! I'm not sure how I missed it first time around. I will be glad to see what progress you guys can make down the road.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd also like to know how its doing. I recently aquired a large bristlecone pine and I'm trying to get as much info as I can on them.

Gary S

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
I just purchased a 3 gallon that had been sitting for a while. Pictures soon.

BckCntry

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also got myself into a Bristlecone. I'm hoping this thread can be my guide.

BckCntry

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is what I will be working with: A nice little nursery stock Pinus Aristata with a decent trunk. I've also been seriously teasing my 6 year old son that he will need to take over and pass along responsibilities to his son. Teasing but serious.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 148

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is what I will be working with: A nice little nursery stock Pinus Aristata with a decent trunk. I've also been seriously teasing my 6 year old son that he will need to take over and pass along responsibilities to his son. Teasing but serious.

Curious of your location? Your tree "may" be longaeva instead of aristata. Why I say is that aristata normally has much more white resin specks on needles. Longaeva normally has very few to none. If the latter you are most fortunate as all I have found is small seedlings for sale. What seller did yours come from pleaseo_O?

BckCntry

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Curious of your location? Your tree "may" be longaeva instead of aristata. Why I say is that aristata normally has much more white resin specks on needles. Longaeva normally has very few to none. If the latter you are most fortunate as all I have found is small seedlings for sale. What seller did yours come from pleaseo_O?
I live in Ogden, Utah but the tree came from Wasatch Shadows in Sandy, Utah. I couldn't find the tag, however I'm pretty sure it was called out as a Aristata. I do recall this tree being the smallest of many much larger (and expensive) options.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have any updates or anything new to add about bristlecone? I've acquired one from a local nursery. I make the rounds to all of the local nurserys every so often, and I happened to visit this one a little before Christmas and they were selling Christmas trees and they had gotten some new various conifers that didnt have their roots chopped off, for us weirdos that like our trees alive. When I first glanced at them, i thought they were those cheesy trees with the fake snow painted on, because of white resin specks all over their needles. Long story short, even though I saw a lot of info that should have discouraged me from buying one (my locale mainly) I just couldn't pass it up. Most of the ones they had were in a larger size pot for double the price, but I bought one that they had in maybe a 10 or 15 gallon pot (I'll have to measure it but I know it was quite a bit wider than a 5 gallon). The tree is about 3 feet tall. I didnt realize at the time, but the roots were wrapped in burlap and then placed in the pot which they then filled with compost. Once I got the burlap off, I found a thick layer of pretty much pure clay soil. I raked pretty much all of this out, and found that quite a few roots had extended into the clay; but inside of that was another layer of roots encircling themselves like in a pot bound situation. They seemed to be in a soil that was some kind of potting mix with compost and perlite or something like that.

Although I wanted to, I decided not to disturb the inner section of roots, and took the more cautious approach. I then potted it in a mixture of approx 50%pumice 20%perlite 15% monto clay, and 15% 'palm, citrus, and cactus mix potting soil' in a larger sized terracotta pot I had prepared before I realized the roots didnt fill the whole nursery pot. I added a small amount of a trusty organic plant food mixture, and then some 'garden lime' derived from dolomite limestone.

<I just remembered that earlier I said "long story short" and now i suddenly feel like I wrote way too long of a post. >

So....long story short, I acquired this tree because I simply could not pass it up, and at the time I figured even if I didnt use it as bonsai material I would still love to be able to see it every day, so long as I'm able to keep it alive where I live. Oh and its pinus aristata btw. Happy new year

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So....long story short, I acquired this tree because I simply could not pass it up, and at the time I figured even if I didnt use it as bonsai material I would still love to be able to see it every day, so long as I'm able to keep it alive where I live. Oh and its pinus aristata btw. Happy new year
PIC?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why so rude of me. Not sure if it relates but one time I heard someone say something about a picture and its value relative to some amount of words. Probably worth ten thousand of mine. I haven't had time to attempt a proper picture (or learn how to take a proper one either) but this should help a little. I've mostly just watched from the sidelines and not sure if anyone would even see/care about this post. Disclaimer : # of pics and scrutiny over which ones was done when I couldn't pay the closest attention, so I just included most that I took. And what's that little cali juni doing in there jealous of the attention?,and does that shrimp really have all adult foliage? They grow up too fast these
days.
Disclaimer #2. Bottom of trunk was still wet when I took these making it hard to see. Will take better pics when time/ability permits

20200101_123139.jpg20200101_123301.jpg20200101_123735.jpg20200101_123713.jpg20200101_123927.jpg20200101_124114.jpg20200101_125833.jpg20200101_125929.jpg20200101_123538.jpg
20200101_123139.jpg20200101_123301.jpg20200101_123735.jpg20200101_123713.jpg20200101_123927.jpg20200101_124114.jpg

Attachments

• 20200101_123814.jpg
    20200101_123814.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom