Calamandrin Orange

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have had this orange for a very long time, it was started from a cutting that I got from ebay years ago, probably 20 years ago. I wired it out today. One thing to note, orange wood is very hard. It is not brittle so the branches doesn't snap easily, but man, is it hard to move.

DSC04113-1.jpgDSC04114-1.jpgDSC04116-1.jpgDSC04117-1.jpgDSC04119-1.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I forgot to take pictures before I defoliated it, it has made fruit before, they are small tangerine shaped fruit that are very sour, a little bit bigger than a quarter.

John
I had one just for fun, not bonsai and the fruit is really sour! I picked up a navel orange at Lowes today because my husband was taking too long looking for some boards or something. ;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love the way calamondin smells...

The key with the fruit is to use it like a lemon or a lime... as a seasoning. Make sure you leave it on the tree a long time - it takes almost a year to fully ripen. Note that it is not an orange. It is a naturally occurring hybrid between a tangerine and a kumquat.

Very easy to grow from seed. Just don't let the seeds dry out before you plant them.

(Quick edit - like kumquat, calamondin are also much more cold hardy than people think citrus can be. Calamondin is cold hardy down to 20F)

Last edited:

hink237

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How long before it quit making thorns and started blooming?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I have one of these that was gifted by my mother in law. It was given to her by her late husband over 40 years ago. She had always had it in the front picture window of their home in Maine. It never really attained any vigor there but over the last couple years, since I took possession, it has really taken off. It now spends summers outside and comes in once frosts become regular. Here is are before and after pics
Before08EBACB0-A4C7-4A67-B6D5-D5D0982E4DFE.jpeg
This next one is when we brought it inside
5C0D3B3A-8650-4D08-936D-DBE6438DBA92.jpeg
So… I have the tree healthy an vigorous now but I really don’t know how to safely “Bonsaify” it so I have some questions. How much root reduction can these take? What time of year did you defoliate? How do they handle hard pruning and how do you handle wound care afterwards? It seems thin barked but I haven’t done any heavy pruning yet and this makes me wonder how it will handle wiring. Are they very susceptible to scaring? I know it was mentioned that the wood is very hard, I did notice this when testing out some potential bends. I honestly felt at that time this would have to be a solely clip and grow plant.

One more thing, the foliage and flowers look exactly the same but the fruit is slightly larger than a ping pong ball almost squash ball sized rather than being quarter sized. Would this put it outside the possibility of being a Calamondin?

Anyway, I’d appreciate any knowledge and maybe experience you’d care to share. The tree has good bones and an interesting trunk so advice on applicable techniques is what I’m after. Thanks!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very nice ..I wonder if the leaves will reduce, I got a huge one in a pot that I am tempting to find an interesting section and airl ayer.

JonOslo

Seedling
Reaction score
Love the fruit on mine! The oranges are a delicious addition to a vodka tonic!;)

View attachment 461788
I use the same for all of my trees, lava, pumice, and a little pine or fir bark.
Thank you! I was thinking about the following mix for my citrus trees:

25 % Pine bark, fine, 3-10 mm

25% Perlite 2-8

mm

25 % Scoria (lava rock) 2-8 mm

Do you think I can use this mix, or do you suggest some changes? My pots are big, 10-30 gallon.

Top Bottom