Callus on Trident maple

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I started an air layer on a trident that had an interesting top and a rather boring bottom and middle section. The layer callused but did not issue any roots. Should I cut into and remove the callus for this growing season and treat with rooting hormone again or will it root on its own?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
You are most likely going to have to try it again by re-opening the callus. Try making the cut wider and deeper this time. I had the same problem with my trident, and that's exactly what I did, but we'll have to wait to see if it worked or not...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did it callous in a ring or bridge back together?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
it calloused in a ring and flaired out quite a bit.

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Don't remove the callous. Take advantage of the flair that was produced. Just make your new cuts at the bottom of the callous. Some people use this technique intentionally to create flair.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
no worries, without pics it is hard to tell. I'll try to post some today if I can. Smoke might like it, it looks like some of his sumo tridents.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
no worries, without pics it is hard to tell. I'll try to post some today if I can. Smoke might like it, it looks like some of his sumo tridents.

More excellence....

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Update

Well I was finally able to get this thing rooted and allowed it to just sit, get strong and push out some growth the last year. There is a fair amount of flair still buried under the soil and it will be raised up with the next repotting in a few months.

Any suggestions Al for next steps? It is kind of an ugly tree but we all have at least one of those on our bench.

Attachments

• Ugly Trident 005.jpg
    Ugly Trident 005.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Ugly Trident 004.jpg
    Ugly Trident 004.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Ugly Trident 002.jpg
    Ugly Trident 002.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Ugly Trident 001.jpg
    Ugly Trident 001.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 54

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have alot of those. Mind you this is from a two dimensional photo and I am not sure about some cuts because I can't see around corners.

I am really trying to get away from tapered tridents. If there is any way I can spread them out, I feel it is worth pursuing. While this trunk is not top notch, it is worth working with. I think a respectable tree is in there. I think I am using your no. two photo.

The red lines are of course chops. seal well. The one with cross hatching on it is because the shape is weird and I wanted you to understand what I was trying to do. Keep the smaller part and get rid of the mass.

The one with an arrow, kind of a back branch is hard to see. I would take this one back to a viable bud. It is too long and straight with out taper and it should be improved.

Will be interesting to see where you take it. Good for you with the roots. Skip the hormone next time. I think hormone on some species actually hinders rather than helps.

Attachments

• Ugly%20Trident%20005[1].jpg
    Ugly%20Trident%20005[1].jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry but I see lots of problems (thanks to the all around pics esp #3 and #4). Might be easier to start over to something like this?
View attachment 44789

Smoke's suggested cut is nice...but I think only if you are only concerned from that front view.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry but I see lots of problems (thanks to the all around pics esp #3 and #4). Might be easier to start over to something like this?
View attachment 44789

Smoke's suggested cut is nice...but I think only if you are only concerned from that front view.

There ya go...the easy way out. Perfectly formed taperd trunk that looks nothing like a maple. Five years ago I might have done the same. I look for a better maple than that.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There ya go...the easy way out. Perfectly formed taperd trunk that looks nothing like a maple. Five years ago I might have done the same. I look for a better maple than that.

I would agree with you 100% if not for pic #3 and #4. I actually didn't think it is the easy way out rather the long way but you know better, having done this before. :)

Top Bottom