Cascade Nishiki Matsu - Where to go

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Didn't anyone else notice the pot? How the heck is this tree going to be removed when it needs root pruning? You'll have a smashing time!

That's the idea. I got the tree already in this pot, and it's summer now in Brazil.
As I am going to repot it in the Spring anyway, I'll break the pot apart.
Yes, it goes into a colander.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Didn't anyone else notice the pot? How the heck is this tree going to be removed when it needs root pruning? You'll have a smashing time!
So called 'bag' style pots bagPot.jpg are quite commonly used in bonsai and are not smashed come repotting time. One simply cuts around the edge, just inside the lip, with a sharp scythe/knife/saw. The root ball will pop out as from any pot after digging out a bit of the severed roots and substrate. Albeit a bit more work getting the tree out of the pot, but ...

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So called 'bag' style pots View attachment 179035 are quite commonly used in bonsai and are not smashed come repotting time. One simply cuts around the edge, just inside the lip, with a sharp scythe/knife/saw. The root ball will pop out as from any pot after digging out a bit of the severed roots and substrate. Albeit a bit more work getting the tree out of the pot, but ...

@0soyoung I'm referring to the terracotta pot in post#1. Your picture is totally different to what I see - are we viewing the same thing or have you just posted a picture of a bag style pot if I didn't know what it was? I'm a bit confused lol.

A beginner trying to get a root bound pine out of a deep, curved terracotta pot is asking for trouble. Because of the depth a sickle is literally not going to cut it. It would be so much easier taking it out asap and putting it into something more suitable.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm referring to the terracotta pot in post#1.
I was and am quite aware that it is a terracotta pot.
However, I thought your screaming panic was about the inward lip curve which bag style pots also have.
If @Clicio prefers to smash it, he can smash it.

My point was that it does not present a unique 'problem'. This problem arises with bag-style pots (I added a pic to be clear to what I was referring). By implication (I thought), I am suggesting that @Clicio try to get the tree out of his pot without first smashing it. And by further implication, then smash the pot if it proves to be too difficult/frustrating. If so, then @Clicio should not buy a bag style pot until he can accomplish this feat.

Since I ranting, this exercise to put the tree put into a pond basket and/or colander can be done now by @Clicio. I do this all the time (repot in summer, meaning between the summer solstice and the fall equinox) with conifers (JBP, JRP, JWP, p. strobus, p. nigra, p. contorta, p. bungeana, p. mugo, Douglas fir, Atlas cedar, junipers, thuja, Hinoki, and more) and waxy leafed deciduous plants (cork oak, rose, rhododendrons including azaleas, zelkova, quince, pyracantha, cotoneaster).

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thanks, @0soyoung .
I am not in panic in any way.
I knew the problems I would face when repotting, with this tree being in a terracota pot since I got it.
Yours is a nice suggestion to repot it trying to save (is it really worth it?) the original pot.
Thank you.
The three is healthy and growing, the soil is ok and draining well, so I will repot it in the spring, even knowing (as you said) that it could be done now.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It would be so much easier taking it out asap and putting it into something more suitable.
Thanks for answering with your concerns, I appreciate them, but...
Sorry, I don't get it.
Why should I "take it out asap"?
It's not rootbound.
The tree is happy and the soil is draining.
Maybe because it can grow more in a colander, trunk thicken faster, etc.?
I will do it in the Spring as I have already wrote, I think can wait, and so does the pine.
The good part is, in six months I will know a lot more than i do now, and maybe I'll manage to do it right!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
... Try and get hands on advice if you can by a person who is proficient in jbp in your area.

@Marie1uk I've just done that.
This very experienced bonsai grower in my area told me "repot it in the Spring and breaking the pot will be less stressful for the tree. The pot is worth £2 anyway."

Top Bottom