Cement pot contest

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How do we actually start? Does everyone just do it and make their own thread?
We might set a timeframe, or it might as well just be a, "show me your cement pots," thread.
A reasonable end date would be enough.

For something like this, full of one-offs, I'm not sure contestants would each need a separate thread. We can just start one, "contest," thread, and everyone makes a post sharing their finished product and maybe a little about their process.
I'm thinking we have diferent categories for e.g

Traditional style pot

Experimental, any crazy design/shape you can think of.

Etc
I like this idea. We can nominate each entry at the end for a given category, and vote via the reactions.
Should we establish a list of categories first, or are we thinking just for fun and we make them up on the fly while judging?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wishing you luck 🤞
I mentioned it in the Happy Thanksgiving thread. I got the job!
It's not great work and doesn't pay great, but it's enough to keep me out of trouble with the landlord once I start getting paid. Start next week.

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
We might set a timeframe, or it might as well just be a, "show me your cement pots," thread.
A reasonable end date would be enough.

For something like this, full of one-offs, I'm not sure contestants would each need a separate thread. We can just start one, "contest," thread, and everyone makes a post sharing their finished product and maybe a little about their process.

I like this idea. We can nominate each entry at the end for a given category, and vote via the reactions.
Should we establish a list of categories first, or are we thinking just for fun and we make them up on the fly while judging?
Good points! Cheers

The two main categories I was thinking were the traditional and experimental I am open to others?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I mentioned it in the Happy Thanksgiving thread. I got the job!
It's not great work and doesn't pay great, but it's enough to keep me out of trouble with the landlord once I start getting paid. Start next week.
Good for you, congrats and Happy Thanksgiving.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good points! Cheers

The two main categories I was thinking were the traditional and experimental I am open to others?
Best Slab?
Best decorated/coloring?
Best overall?
Most interesting crafting technique?

Anyone have other ideas? We don't need as many categories as contestants, and some suggestions might be crammed together into other categories.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best Slab?
Best decorated/coloring?
Best overall?
Most interesting crafting technique?

Anyone have other ideas? We don't need as many categories as contestants, and some suggestions might be crammed together into other categories.
While I am unlikely to participate at this point because I am so far behind in my stoneware pots, I really think KISS is the best course, We humans tend to make things complicated enough as it is.
Just do it.
Anybody done yet?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
While I am unlikely to participate at this point because I am so far behind in my stoneware pots, I really think KISS is the best course, We humans tend to make things complicated enough as it is.
Just do it.
Anybody done yet?
Agreed! The more rules you make, the fewer participants.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed! The more rules you make, the fewer participants.
yup. Just sinple, deadline after NH repotting season (say april) to better showe off your final outcome with a tree in it. Slab, bowl and natural rock categories. Anybody can submit as many as they like, one post for each pot max? Invitation to create a separate thread for more elaborate builds to be linked?

Price eternal fame as best concrete pot builder?

Beanwagon

Chumono
Reaction score
yup. Just sinple, deadline after NH repotting season (say april) to better showe off your final outcome with a tree in it. Slab, bowl and natural rock categories. Anybody can submit as many as they like, one post for each pot max? Invitation to create a separate thread for more elaborate builds to be linked?

Price eternal fame as best concrete pot builder?

Good suggestions. I will start an official thread shortly

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good suggestions. I will start an official thread shortly
Link it here... :))))

I, last year, attempted to order 50 lbs brown stoneware, closeout from a School Supply Company...

They sent me 50 lbs of craft sticks. When brought to their attention, I was refunded and advised to keep/donate the craft sticks.... Hmmm...

Also, @Crawforde makes cement pots this way... We had a few discussions on the topic...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd love to join! Here are two I have made. I hate that cement dye has doubled in cost this year...

Attachments

• 20210308_164900.jpg
    20210308_164900.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210309_173619.jpg
    20210309_173619.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 48
  • FRONT2.JPG
    FRONT2.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220328_122109.jpg
    20220328_122109.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 46

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hate that cement dye has doubled in cost this year..
I've noticed this. At times it's more than the bag of cement.
I've saved dust from sitting different materials, mostly red lava, and I was thinking of trying that. Won't fully color the cement, but it should add character.

Top Bottom