Changing pots? (Portulacaria afra)

Afasnacht83

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi! I’ve just gotten a new cutting from a few months ago and I’m looking to let it grow out for a while so i can maybe (hopefully) begin the process of turning it into a bonsai. This is my first plant ever so I’m very very new to the game. I have him in a bit of a small pot right now, but it’s been suggested to move him to a bigger pot. I’m just curious what width and depth would best help him grow safely? Thank you! I added a photo of his current one ☺️ It’s about 4&1/2 inches tall and five inches wide. 256782

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like to start with a 10” bulb pan. Or put it in the ground for a few years.

Once porttys are in free draining soil, you can pound them with chemical ferts

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1. Where are you located?
2. Where will you be keeping the P. Afra?

Afasnacht83

Seedling
Reaction score
1. Where are you located?
2. Where will you be keeping the P. Afra?
I’m from Missouri! I have been putting it outside in the mornings but we have really intense summer days so I move him to a well lit window in the afternoons. I have a grow light for the winter months since it’ll be way too cold to keep outside 😁

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn’t move it around like that every day. It can take Missouri summers no problem. :)

I’d leave it outside all summer and only bring it in once the nighttime temps start getting down towards the 40s. These are surprisingly cold hardy, but since it’s so small and will be repotted soon I wouldn’t let it go below 50 just to be safe.

As others mentioned, the pot is much less important than the “soil.” If you google “bonsai soil” you’ll find plenty of options. For now since you just have one plant I’d recommend just purchasing something already pre-mixed. Try to find a mixture that is primarily (if not exclusively) akadama, lava rock, and pumice. Works great for my p. afras.

I’ll second the bulb pan recommendation.

Cheers and welcome!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m from Missouri! I have been putting it outside in the mornings but we have really intense summer days so I move him to a well lit window in the afternoons. I have a grow light for the winter months since it’ll be way too cold to keep outside 😁

I second everything Colorado said.

You can put your location in your profile so its easy for others to give you recommendations catered to your climate.

P. Afra is extremely easy to care for.

Repotting midsummer shouldnt be a problem for them.

With any succulent, cactus, or euphorbia my practices for watering are to drench then wait until the soil is completely dry... then wait another 1-2 days. Then repeat. They dont grow roots unless soil is dry.

Enjoy!

Afasnacht83

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you! I really appreciate all the tips 💛 I definitely need to get new soil! Do you guys have any recommendations on pre mixed ones? I have also been looking at some pots and was hoping to get some opinions. They’re nothing that’s gonna break the bank and I think with the plants being so small they should be fine 😁 The red one is 6”256810256811

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My concerns with attached water resevoirs/drainage cups for succulents kept indoors is that it will continuously draw moisture back into the soil. You want a pot that drains and which wont allow standing water under it. If you find a pot with large drainage holes. You can always place a removable saucer underneath which you can empty after watering.

Size wize those are fine.

I use a saucer under pots where I have species that like continuously wet soil such as alder or willow.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi! I’ve just gotten a new cutting from a few months ago and I’m looking to let it grow out for a while so i can maybe (hopefully) begin the process of turning it into a bonsai.
Reading this.. I would go for a very wide, yet shallow, bonsait pot. Give the roots lots of room, but side-ways. The pots you show now are small and deep. I would think there you have too much water holidding capacity. Shallow and wide would hold less water, dry out quicker and force roots to grow wid, creating the wider rootbase you might want on your tree.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you guys have any recommendations on pre mixed ones?

I’ve used this one...but the brand really doesn’t matter much. Sometimes the akadama can be too soft for my taste (which means it breaks down quicker) but the above is pretty good in my opinion.

When (not if, it’s addicting ;) )you got more into bonsai you may end up wanting to just buy the components separately and mix your own. That’s what most of us do.

Top Bottom