Chinese Elm Dead

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my elm.

It has dropped all its leaves in recent weeks, normally it does this and bounces back really quickly.#

There are some small buds and ive done a scratch test and its green.

Please see attached photos.

Is it dead?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-05 at 17.00.13.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-05 at 17.00.13.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 51
You say it normally does this, but this is never normal this time of year.

Could you perhaps provide your location as well? This helps us understand your location's specific conditions.

it goes through phases from dropping alot of leaves to massive growth, but its never dropped all of the leaves before.

Location is Manchester UK and at the minute the temperature has been either 7degrees c to 22 degrees.

Welcome to the site!

Are you keeping your tree outside? Or inside?

If you are keeping your tree outside, it should behave like a normal deciduous tree - i.e. drop leaves in the fall, push new buds/growth in the spring. Total defoliation should never happen - it is a sign of something extremely bad happening.

the tree was kept inside but as the weather warmed above freezing i moved it outside so that it could receive some sunlight.

the tree was kept inside but as the weather warmed above freezing i moved it outside so that it could receive some sunlight.

Ah I see, it probably dropped its leaves due to the shock of the move from indoors to outdoors. Moving it from 20 degrees C indoors to just above freezing is still a big difference in temp. I would have timed the move a little later when outside temps are closer to indoors and there is no more risk of night frosts.

There is a good chance it will bounce back. Just keep up regular care and let it do its thing.

Sudden changes in light and temperature can sometimes cause a tree to drop its leaves. If it's healthy, it will regrow a new set of leaves that's better suited to the new light conditions. I've mostly heard of this with tropicals, but that's my guess as to what's going on.

I know some people keep their elms inside, but you're almost certainly better off keeping yours outside. Elms live natively in much harsher environments than Manchester.

Best of luck, and welcome to the site!

I'd say there is something going on with this tree, judging from the purplish color on the top sections of the trunk and branching. Chinese elms don't drop leaves because of a change in light--unless the sunlight is Texas intense and direct all day, which is unlikely in the U.K. Can't really tell from the photo but the roots don't look all that great on the surface. Black is never a good sign on roots.

Since it's dropped its leaves, I'd pull it out of the pot and have a look at the roots. If there is considerable rot, I'd think about an emergency soil cleanse and repot. 100 percent dropped leaves on a Chinese Elm is cause for alarm.

Back
Top Bottom