Satsuki Azalea "Chinzan" Repot

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey @Mellow Mullet , remember those two azaleas you sent me? I think they’re Dads White or something along those lines? Are they satsuki? They’re just starting to grow now, and I’m not sure if I should repot now or wait until after they bloom. I don’t even know if they will bloom this year. What’s your opinion?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hey @Mellow Mullet , remember those two azaleas you sent me? I think they’re Dads White or something along those lines? Are they satsuki? They’re just starting to grow now, and I’m not sure if I should repot now or wait until after they bloom. I don’t even know if they will bloom this year. What’s your opinion?

Yes, they are Satsukis, dads white is for sure. Do you remember what they marked? Here, I repot before they bloom, at least a month before. Usually late Feb or early March.

They should bloom, the ones I still have from the same batch are loaded with buds.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yes, they are Satsukis, dads white is for sure. Do you remember what they marked? Here, I repot before they bloom, at least a month before. Usually late Feb or early March.

They should bloom, the ones I still have from the same batch are loaded with buds.
I found the tags, dads white is for sure the name. I cant remember what the blooms are supposed to be like so that’ll be a nice surprise! They are just now growing, but I can’t tell if they have flower buds or not. I think they do, but these are actually my only satsuki sadly so I’m inexperienced.

Is it too late to repot? Here’s some of one of the two.

Attachments

• 676875CC-1F7C-4AB9-AC79-E8B2026024FF.jpeg
    676875CC-1F7C-4AB9-AC79-E8B2026024FF.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 365A1893-1E24-4D80-806F-3D42551E1102.jpeg
    365A1893-1E24-4D80-806F-3D42551E1102.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 5501BB6F-EAE9-405B-B0D5-9E95AE8BF517.jpeg
    5501BB6F-EAE9-405B-B0D5-9E95AE8BF517.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 16

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Do you repot before they bloom in your area because it gets so hot after? And in cooler zones, repotting after blooming is the norm?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I see lots of buds, they are in the center of they new growth. I called them "dad's white" because they came from cutting off a Satsukis that my dad has that we don't know the name of. When my cuttings bloomed, I marked them with the color and type of flower. The mother plant has five or six different colors/variations. Since yours is a white it has the potential to eventually develop all of the variations.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Do you repot before they bloom in your area because it gets so hot after? And in cooler zones, repotting after blooming is the norm?

Judy,

Yes, that is why, it usually starts getting really hot here is May. So Repotting after an April/May bloom is too late, they struggle and early in my attempts, I lost a couple. So now I repot before, at least a month or so ahead of flowering to let them get adjusted before the show. This is for satsukis. For Kurumes, Indicas, and those that are in between, I do it after flowering since they usually bloom late January/ early February, this year is unusual as it was very cold late in the season so they did not start until late February.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I see lots of buds, they are in the center of they new growth. I called them "dad's white" because they came from cutting off a Satsukis that my dad has that we don't know the name of. When my cuttings bloomed, I marked them with the color and type of flower. The mother plant has five or six different colors/variations. Since yours is a white it has the potential to eventually develop all of the variations.
Good to know, thanks. Any idea on if it’s safe to repot them today based on my area and the pictures?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is it too late to repot?

Those won't bloom for a few weeks so as @Mellow Mullet said - go for it! The flower buds are all over ours but even smaller and I could easily repot up until the end of April or Early May here.

Grimmy

Top Bottom