Chinzan Satsuki Azalea

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I did not hit it too hard, just the long runners. I hope to have some flowers in spring.

John

I have a few runners on mine as well but most where repotted this year, so, while I want to trim them I'm gonna wait till spring. Nice azalea!

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
at this point in the year, do most people wait to trim their bonsai until spring since fall is fast approaching? aka let them harden up a bit and refrain from causing a lot of new leaves to grow? obviously this is very climate zone dependant...up here in ohio the cold weather comes a lot sooner than in alabama

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It depends on the tree and location, here, azaleas do fine with trimming this late, just don't trim too much or you will lose the flowers. It really doesn't start getting cold here until late October. I did not trim it a lot, just some of the longer runners to keep it in shape.

John

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In our area, I think they start setting buds around October for most Azaleas... You should be able to prune right up til September or so without damaging. Ext year's flowers... Varies a bit depending on species. This is about the time of year I usually do my last pruning on them just to be sure I am not popping off all of next year's flowers...

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Nice tree! Where did this one come from? Did you build those branches yourself or was it already ramified when you got it?
Ian

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I grew it from a cutting, struck, about 10 ten years ago. Chinzans root easily. I have built all of the beaches my self, even had to regrow the one on the right when a storm dropped a limb from an oak on it and snapped the original limb completely off.

John

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I very much like this Chinzan. You say it didn't have many flowers. I'm confused.... aren't satzuki's flowering time around May in the North, therefor still coming ?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The Chinzan usually blooms late April, early May here in South Alabama. I have several others that are blooming or starting to bloom. I pruned this one too late last year, in July, and must have cut most of the flowering tips off. I thought that it was still early enough, but not so, I guess. It made two.

John

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's got a very nice trunk line. I need to get busy with my azaleas. I've let them go a little to long I think.

Top Bottom