clueless about this Larch

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm asking you to please take another look at this j. Larch and offer up any suggestions on what style this could possibly become. I keep thinking "don't make it look like a bonsai. make it look like a tree." I can't think of any tree like this one. If I had an apex to work with I might be in better shape. Could I graft one of the other long branches on the top, straight up? I carved a jinned apex as a possible implant, but I think not. If I had Photoshop this would be easier. I can certainly sketch. I have an art degree in illustration and industrial design, which I would think would help, but I don't know where to start.:confused:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Koyote, In my opinion your first image is your tree. Some simple wiring and you will have an image. If you don't play with it and break the ice you won't move forward. This will never be a great tree, a nice tree yes. It lacks to many things at this point to move into a WOW category. So get your wire and if nothing else wire the tree a challenging job if done correctly. You need at this point to start interacting with this tree unless your going to let it grow

Now saying all that you still want to play around with the design try this free download it is to Gimp a freeware that is similar to Photoshop

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Heath?...

Thanks Tom. I downloaded the Gimp. Not as user-friendly as Photoshop. Maybe I'll try to find the real thing. As for the tree-there are a ton of new shoots emerging. I'm tempted to prune & wire very little, and let it go. Maybe some images will come to me. Someone suggested it having the story of being struck by lightning. I love the idea, I just don't see it in this tree without a major shari. I have 2 guy wires holding one branch up and another down. I look at this tree and wonder "what were they planning" is there a style ready to emerge that I'm blind to. I think after I move this tree will go in the ground to try to achieve some taper. Untill then I'm still lost.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The first picture 0015, according to the information on the JPEG is almost a bonsai now. All you need to do is flatten out the foliage levels and put it in a bonsai pot. I am having trouble understanding why you are at a loss as to what to do with this tree. Sometimes the most obvious is indeed the best option, in this case that would be so. If you want to do something else it must be that you think some other form would suite this tree better? If that is the case what form would that be and what is the basis for that determination?

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with Tom and Vance. Just get out the wire and get started!
Irene

koyote1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's 2 of you saying "the first image is the tree". All pics are the tree. They are just different views. It may look best from that angle, but it looks bad from the others. To me it looks like a bird trying to flap its wings to get off the ground, but can't.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Unfortunately, 2 dimensional images limit the ability of anyone to critique or advise the styling on any tree. You have the best seat in the house to evaluate this tree. If you are uncomfortable beginning the styling process at this point, put the tree away for a while and find another piece of stock to focus on. After a while, you may see something in this tree you hadn't noticed before. I'll do that with some trees that confuse me or have multiple possibilities; just looking at the tree from different angles while watering each day can really help. Finally. there is nothing wrong with beginning to wire the tree out without knowing exactly where every branch is going to be placed in the finished design. Just make sure you don't remove many branches until you feel more comfortable with where the tree is headed.

Dave

ps I agree with Tom, Vance and Irene, the first pic seems to show this tree at its best angle

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's 2 of you saying "the first image is the tree". All pics are the tree. They are just different views.
Koyote, If you are referring to this material as a 360 degree bonsai. I don't see this happening with this piece of material. A bonsai needs a chosen front. Hence people saying that the first image is the tree. That is their chosen front that they would present the viewer and the way it would sit in all but a round pot....then any side could be the front with a simple twist of the pot ;) (gotta love a round pot) However this is not the case here. Not all bonsai look good from different angles. That simple fact makes the difference between a good bonsai and a great bonsai. It is also why the search for a good piece of material is not an easy thing to do. I think you have beaten yourself and this tree to death. Take the leap of faith in what people have told you ( that is why your asking these questions, right?)and go after it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
To begin the styling of a tree you generally choose a front. That's the point where the trunk presents the best possible display, your first picture does that from my point of view. All of the other points of view may not be as good but it is not a bad thing to consider those views when your styling proceeds, or you may well wind up with a two dimensional bonsai like my very first tree many years ago. All of the "not the front" views should be at least balanced with growth as any tree in the wild would be. There should be something in the back to give depth and those branches viewed from "The Front" should not all lay themselves out in the same plane but be off set so as to balance the rest of the tree.

Top Bottom