Collected Bonsai Orientation

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
With all due respect to an artist I admire in many ways. Perhaps policies that were used to de-legitimize the lifestyles of a minority group and erase the identity of Americans who fought hard for my freedom isn't particularly lighthearted and funny to everyone.
Sorry, if ths was not funny for you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, if ths was not funny for you.
Don’t worry about it, you don’t know. But “Don’t ask, don’t tell” was an American military policy concerning homosexuality. The military won’t ask and you don tell them and we all can serve together as one. The guys I knew that were swinging that way didn’t seem to mind the policy but I wouldn’t worry about it. People get butthurt here real easy. Lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don’t worry about it, you don’t know. But “Don’t ask, don’t tell” was an American military policy concerning homosexuality. The military won’t ask and you don tell them and we all can serve together as one. The guys I knew that were swinging that way didn’t seem to mind the policy but I wouldn’t worry about it. People get butthurt here real easy. Lol
I'd like to think I phrased my post pretty politely given the nature of the subject matter. Perhaps some of us get indignant so future generations don't have to listen to anachronistic, ignorant old men assert that my people were totally cool with being oppressed!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
With all due respect to an artist I admire in many ways. Perhaps policies that were used to de-legitimize the lifestyles of a minority group and erase the identity of Americans who fought hard for my freedom isn't particularly lighthearted and funny to everyone.
“Erase the identity…” that’s part of being in the military. You are no longer you, you are a soldier and part of something much greater than yourself.
And that dude from another country, I’m sure he’s not keeping up to date on every social justice issue that goes on in our stupid country.

Reaction score
Unfortunately Pixar, I think she may have gone to the bonsai gods.
Start cutting into the wood from the ends of the branches back and see if you find any live wood...stop if you do.
Repeat the cutting back process with every branch, again, seeing if you find live wood...and then stop.
The bottom of the tree may have some life left but once a yamadori lepto transplant dries too much, as it seems this tree may have done, it's goodbye.
I believe your mix has gotten too dry between waterings and that spells death for many lepto's at this very important stage of transplanting.
Get that water on there, soak it and keep the soil dark/moist to wet-ish for atleast 3-4 weeks.
If leptos havnt responded (started budding) within that 3-4 week timeframe...discontinue and bin it!

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Get that water on there, soak it and keep the soil dark/moist to wet-ish for atleast 3-4 weeks.
Sorry,but it’s been raining here for the last three weeks , and the tree has only just had one fine day in that period . i Have sprayed today with copper and neem oil and some dish washing liquid . I believe the tree has still got a chance ,so I will wait for a month and see what happens

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry,but it’s been raining here for the last three weeks , and the tree has only just had one fine day in that period . i Have sprayed today with copper and neem oil and some dish washing liquid . I believe the tree has still got a chance ,so I will wait for a month and see what happens
If thats the case (tree receiving rain for past 3 weeks), id say she's gone to the bonsai gods.
Rain water is the best thing for your tree at this stage and if it hasnt started showing signs of life yet, id personally disregard it.
Spraying the tree with copper and neem will have added to the stress the tree is going through basically sending it to the grave a lot quicker.
A mild solution of water/dishwashing liquid would have been enough for now but i personally wouldnt have treated the tree with anything at this stage.
If run-off from those sprays, particularly the copper,has found its way to the root system that will have definately knocked the tree out there and then.

The only way to really tell if she's dying/dead is to cut back into the branches from the ends...keep cutting until you find live wood.

Please be aware Pixar that youve picked one of the hardest trees to transplant.The scoparium has a pretty high failure rate as yamadori so dont be deterred by this.
All the best.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We will see how this goes or I'll have to find another ( I've already got two other ones in mind , just require a bit more digging )

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
i just finished cutting back to good wood on the whole tree . Hopefully it’s got a chance now

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am careful to place my trees same orientation to sun when I move or transplant, but there are some shrubs that I think wouldn't care, because they lean into sun and all leaves are turned to it, not ever bothering to grow an upright stem even, just around what shade they get.
So many things I do with no scientific reason just habit, or compulsivity.

Reaction score
i just finished cutting back to good wood on the whole tree . Hopefully it’s got a chance now
You've found good wood...that's awesome!
Im really glad she's still hanging in there for you Pixar...well done my friend : )
When the buds emerge, you can definately give yourself a HUGE pat on the back because you'll have pulled off something thats very difficult to do.
Thank the gods for all that rain you've been getting...its given the tree a HUGE helping hand.
Keep the moisture up and it shouldnt be long before you see new buds emerging.
Im happy for you mate, thats great news : )

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's looking a bit bald ,but definitely got good wood on it . I'll get a photo for you shortly

Reaction score
It's looking a bit bald ,but definitely got good wood on it . I'll get a photo for you shortly
Dont worry about the baldness,it actually helps the tree at this stage (but i agree...it makes the tree look a bit empty when this happens lol).
Its very common for many native species to drop a certain percentage, if not all, of their foliage during this stage of the transplanting process.
Id love to see photos....thanks mate.

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos Pixar.
Thats perfect...youve just given her a big advantage by doing that.
Love the bark on leptos. We used to roll it up and smoke it as kids lol...nice taste but shit it makes you cough hahaha!
Good job mate.

Top Bottom