Collected ponderosa pine styling

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I collected this pondy in May, '10. Some photos about the collecting trip are here. This tree is the last image in post 4.
Today, I worked on it with Bjorn, who is a great guy and talented artist.

Before:
IMAGE_EA4CA37C-63B2-4855-AEF5-CCC636D57862.JPG

After first styling...the main branch movement and profile is great, but pushing back the growth will facilitate a cleaner branch structure:
IMAGE_16D97C6E-3A42-494E-9B86-19BB0B03DEFD.JPG

Much more detail about the styling is here...Photos are easier to upload to the blog site.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree! And I really enjoyed the full story at your blog. :) Thanks for sharing.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do love the new profile, really great blog progression!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice beginnings for a nice piece of stock. Is there a plan to eventually reduce or even remove that long shallow portion of root? All the collected ponderosas seem to have them. Hope it continues to grow well for you in 'Bama'.

Dave

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Really a great stock material! And you and Bjorn did a first rate job of it's first styling! Seemed like a lot of fun too ;)

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Strong work. Techniques like these should be more widely practiced or at least better known. I always enjoy your posts Brian.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I have two ponderosa's that were yamadori. Really enjoyable trees. Yours is very nice and nice to have such a good coach to help you with it. One of these days I'd love to get Bjorn out to Seattle for one of our events.

Regarding the long root, I think most yamadori trees have something like that to work on over time. At repotting time the addition of more smaller roots along the length, allows the bigger one to eventually be nibbled away at each subsequent repotting!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looking good Brian.... :) :) I might have wanted to gnarl the branches some more myself but I like em looking all ancient .... wondering what your plan for inducing back budding is as it a very slow process on Ponderosa

most collected Ponderosa that have those roots were collected from a crack or shallow crevice .... I presume this one is no different ... :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks all. It's an exciting tree and off to a great start. I probably won't reduce the long root, it's half of what I liked about the tree. In fact many of the pondys from that area have that look. Likely I will carve some Shari into it and plant it on a long slab some day.

As for back-budding, my buddy who collected these with me has styled a couple and got tremendous back budding, so I'll have to wait and see. For now, it will be a matter of keeping it growing, then trimming back to new buds in the wintertime to further compact it.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking tree and great initial work! I don't mind that long root at all but how well you place and pot it up and the final pot decision will be a major player in the final look.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Larry Jackle from the denver area of Colorado has an excellent book out on pondrosa's. I'd encourage everyone interested in this pine to get a copy.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Larry Jackle from the denver area of Colorado has an excellent book out on pondrosa's. I'd encourage everyone interested in this pine to get a copy.

I second that... its a really good book and its entirely devoted to Ponderosa ....

Top Bottom