Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More cut back and the new planting angle. I'll need to adjust the branches for the new angle, but I like the slant. What do you think?
View attachment 135211
I love this one Scott! I think that I would like to see the apex brought back to the right pointing branch at the top edge of the trim of the house. And slightly lower the left pointing branch at that same place. That should yield a nice, softly rounded top. good tree!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I love this one Scott! I think that I would like to see the apex brought back to the right pointing branch at the top edge of the trim of the house. And slightly lower the left pointing branch at that same place. That should yield a nice, softly rounded top. good tree!

I thank you Steve. And I appreciate your insights about the apex and branch position.

Scott

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree Scott, looks a lot like my big collected Cedar Elm. My back hurts looking at yours though o_O

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I dig the tree, but I think I like it better more upright; not sure why yet . . .

Thanks Colin. I appreciate the feedback. If you land on something that made you feel that way I'd like to hear.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually like it a little more with the lean, it seems to create a little more movement in the lower trunk. And that "line" seems to be more congruent with the rest of the tree.

Did feel a "hitch" in my lower back when I looked at it, though....some impressive size!!!:eek::D:D:D:D

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm with Colin. I liked it better before the leaning. I think it has to do with balance. Perhaps when you develop more the second trunk, it'll balance out?

Hi TP. I've gone back and forth myself. I think it was partly because I saw it for so long more upright. Right now I like it, but we'll see how I feel after couple of additional years of development. Thanks for the input.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The original position is very balanced and stable... the new angle is less so and has a bit more tension... I prefer the new version. Get those branches in the upper half of the tree to move upwards a bit and it's going to look great:).

Thanks Dave. I think it could look good either way, but I liked the tension you described in the new image. But it will take some adjustment of the branches. Thanks for your thoughts about how to integrate the branches with the new potting angle.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the new angle too - makes for a more exciting tree. Do you think that the lower left branch should stay with the new position? It's pretty heavy, and might really throw the balance of the tree too much to the left. Always a bit hard to comment though seeing the tree in a picture versus in person.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the new angle too - makes for a more exciting tree. Do you think that the lower left branch should stay with the new position? It's pretty heavy, and might really throw the balance of the tree too much to the left. Always a bit hard to comment though seeing the tree in a picture versus in person.

Future is always open, but I like the lower branch for now. One thing for sure I'll have to grapple with is the branch angles up at the top of the tree. They were developed for the old trunk angle and lack harmony with the slanted trunk. It'll take some time but I enjoy the journey and will learn some things along the way so it's all good.

I've repositioned some things a bit. Here it is tonight, along with some close ups of the big field grown roots I've been reducing. They'll have to be reduced more at the next repot.

IMG_8142.JPG
IMG_8143.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Summer work. I've let it grow strongly all spring. I could have worked it back in April after the new growth had hardened off, but life got in the way and I didn't. If I had, I'd be working the second push now rather than the first.

IMG_9547.JPG

See how strongly the top has grown? If you leave it too long like this, it will totally take over and the lower branches will weaken and die off. Top has to be cut back and thinned. Leaves should be removed to balance the growth and strong branches at the apex should be pruned to weaker growth. Leave more leaves and stronger growth on lower branches.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
New growth I've chosen to keep is wired into position. Note that I've pruned to keep some of this years growth. Don't prune into old wood and remove all of the current growth - that's cut back and it's done in late winter or early spring (or fall for me because there is no winter here).

IMG_9551.JPG IMG_9550.JPG

Scott

Top Bottom