Haydee

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you, Scott for all the information. I was "googling" about cedar elm and found this thread :). Trying to learn after collecting my new projects at the Houston Bonsai Society dig.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you, Scott for all the information. I was "googling" about cedar elm and found this thread :). Trying to learn after collecting my new projects at the Houston Bonsai Society dig.

Thank you Haydee. I'm glad you found some value in the discussion. That was a fun dig - you'll like your elm. They're great to work with!

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Time for fall cut back. Summer wire should be removed and branches cut back for structure and taper.

Here's the tree before cut back.

View attachment 124757

Scott
Nice Scott but not enough fertilizer. On a tree like this.....20 cakes at a time! Then you will be able to cut and grow maybe 6 times over the summer ;)

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice Scott but not enough fertilizer. On a tree like this.....20 cakes at a time! Then you will be able to cut and grow maybe 6 times over the summer ;)

Timely advice, Michael. Spring is here for many of my trees and just around the corner for this one. Four to six weeks early this year.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey Scott! I saw that Lady Gaga was in your neighborhood last night! From her outfit, it looked like she had just finished cleaning your pool! Hey, that was a good idea to deliver her to the stadium by drone. Flew over all the traffic! You must have really good connections to have them open up the roof like that!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey Scott! I saw that Lady Gaga was in your neighborhood last night! From her outfit, it looked like she had just finished cleaning your pool! Hey, that was a good idea to deliver her to the stadium by drone. Flew over all the traffic! You must have really good connections to have them open up the roof like that!

Well. She came to town looking for the best bonsai artist/drone pilot that Houston had to offer. The choice was obvious.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Breaking bud yet, Scott? So much gold in your threads. I started back from the beginning on this one. Curious how those root grafts from the first post look now.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Breaking bud yet, Scott? So much gold in your threads. I started back from the beginning on this one. Curious how those root grafts from the first post look now.

Hi TP. It's just starting to break. I repotted it last weekend - two of the root grafts took and the rest failed. I'll post some pictures soon.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Time for some root work. It's been a couple of years since the last repotting. Not great light, but here is the before picture.

IMG_0117.JPG

We're going to put it into a training pot as the tree moves to the next stage of development. It's been in the grow box for two full growing seasons and the box is full of roots. We're going to check some of the root grafts, remove some of the larger ungainly roots and change the planting angle.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Working the bottom of the root ball. I rake the bottom with a three-pronged root rake and make it flat. Cut all the downward growing roots.
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0126.JPG

The large tap root was cut back hard about five years ago during repot. It's callousing over nicely. There's a bit of old field soil in there that has to come out. I scraped it out with bent nosed tweezers.
IMG_0130.jpg

Top Bottom