• Do it regardless.

Votes: 46 31.1%

• Total voters

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
when you do collect, replant what you take..... follow the principles of yama modoshi

GANGSTA!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when you do collect, replant what you take..... follow the principles of yama modoshi

Do NOT replant anything to replace things you collect. The species you replace it with is not of the same environment, could be a different subspecies or even different species. Local seeds will find their way on their own. They rarely have to be assisted in planting themselves. It's a false sense of satisfaction. You may, in fact, be doing more harm...Simply fill in the hole you left and dont' dig everything in sight.

BTW, if you collected in a federal or state land, you could also be breaking the laws that aim to protect local environments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Do NOT replant anything to replace things you collect. The species you replace it with is not of the same environment, could be a different subspecies or even different species. Local seeds will find their way on their own. They rarely have to be assisted in planting themselves. It's a false sense of satisfaction. You may, in fact, be doing more harm...Simply fill in the hole you left and dont' dig everything in sight.

BTW, if you collected in a federal or state land, you could also be breaking the laws that aim to protect local environments.
as the article says, you replant the spot with cones and seeds you find in the area of the same species, not bringing anything foreign into the area. If all yamadori collectors did this, we wont become like japan which is essentially devoid of natural yamadori

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
as the article says, you replant the spot with cones and seeds you find in the area of the same species, not bringing anything foreign into the area. If all yamadori collectors did this, we wont become like japan which is essentially devoid of natural yamadori
Nope still not buying it. This is doubling down on intervention in the environment and a self-indulgent salve for your conscience. You've already taken something, yet feel compelled to dictate what should replace what you've taken. Nature doesn't need you. It will replace what you've taken with what IT wants. A vacancy in the wild is soon filled. There isn't a valid reason to search out and find a seed (if it's the right seed or not a local cultivar, etc.) Filling in the hole you've created is about as far as you should intrude after collecting a tree. Nature will take care of the rest. Plenty of other plants there to take the place.

There is no danger of hoards of yamadori collectors depleting a stock of literally BILLIONS of trees here in North America, a continent 35 times larger than Japan with fewer people, fewer bonsaists, and a relative handful of yamadori collectors. Ain't enough of us to clear cut ten acres for crying out loud...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nope still not buying it. This is doubling down on intervention in the environment and a self-indulgent salve for your conscience. You've already taken something, yet feel compelled to dictate what should replace what you've taken. Nature doesn't need you. It will replace what you've taken with what IT wants. A vacancy in the wild is soon filled. There isn't a valid reason to search out and find a seed (if it's the right seed or not a local cultivar, etc.) Filling in the hole you've created is about as far as you should intrude after collecting a tree. Nature will take care of the rest. Plenty of other plants there to take the place.

There is no danger of hoards of yamadori collectors depleting a stock of literally BILLIONS of trees here in North America, a continent 35 times larger than Japan with fewer people, fewer bonsaists, and a relative handful of yamadori collectors. Ain't enough of us to clear cut ten acres for crying out loud...
That kind of thinking is why we almost lost all our Buffalo

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Our native Bison were nearly wiped out due to government policy of intentional slaughter. There is not a comparable policy targeting the thousands of acres of drought and wind tortured junipers and other conifers here in the west. @rockm is right on this, at least as far as the west is concerned. I have no familiarity with what other parts of the country offer.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh for crying out loud. No it's not. I don't see thousands of collectors out there digging up trees. Maybe a hundred (at the outside) collecting a dozen trees a piece on 345 million square acres (only a tenth of the total U.S. land base, BTW) of BLM land, add in another 1.3 billion square acres of privately owned land...yeah, quite a dent in the tree population. 😁

Last edited:

MeredithSK

Seed
Reaction score
If it's on NFS/BLM land just go get a permit. I just got mine for the sierras and it was $24. They show you what's listed as protected or endangered. Bonsai should be a hobby showing appreciation of nature, not selfish gathering. Support our lands.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see that this lively debate started in 2009 (before some of today's 8th graders were even born), which got me wondering: what's the oldest thread on this site?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see that this lively debate started in 2009 (before some of today's 8th graders were even born), which got me wondering: what's the oldest thread on this site?

I joined in 2006 and I think I was one of the early group. I'm guessing 2005 or 2006 as the oldest.

Will i am bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I’ve just recently collected without permission from a site that is up for housing development, I wanted to ask but didn’t want to go through a lengthy process through emails etc or eventually be denied so just went for it and would of played dumb if I’d been caught! 🫢

CptnGlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’ve just recently collected without permission from a site that is up for housing development, I wanted to ask but didn’t want to go through a lengthy process through emails etc or eventually be denied so just went for it and would of played dumb if I’d been caught! 🫢
I’ve got my eye on a couple of hornbeam around the corner from mine. They are technically in the car park border of a well known UK based supermarket, but their grounds maintenance guys have been treating them the same as the adjacent privet hedges and have just been hammering them back with trimmers a few times a year for at least 14 years now. As a result they have pretty good taper and a mass of ramified branches, but they are gradually gonna go down hill with that treatment year after year… at least that’s my justification. Maybe one day il liberate them!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"It's juuuuuust so hard. and they might say noooooo...".You realize this is a three year old toddler's argument, right?...yeah, here in adult land sometimes the answer is "No" and you do all the right things and you don't get what you want.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

Theft that nobody notices is still theft. Not something to be proud of.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Bit like stealing from a shop ( people steal from my business all the time - we have over 20 live cameras which record all the footage )
The footage can be given to the police ( but we don't bother cause nothing happens to the culprits )

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Bit like stealing from a shop ( people steal from my business all the time - we have over 20 live cameras which record all the footage )
The footage can be given to the police ( but we don't bother cause nothing happens to the culprits )
I could be wrong but 'I’ve just recently collected without permission from a site that is up for housing development' that comes across to me as if these trees are going to be destroyed/removed to make way for a housing project. maybe they wouldnt be missed in that case, so bit different from walking into a shop and pocketing a few items.

Will i am bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
As far as I’m concerned I’ve done them a favour removing it as it’s all gonna be flattened anyway and I’m saving a tree of English heritage at the same time 😬 it’s a crime in itself all that material is going to waste! It could be dug up and relocated around the town parks etc but no one gives 2 monkeys

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I mean sure its definitely better to ask first, but if theyre being demolished anyway I doubt they'll be bothered much. Is this much different from seeing a tree in a skip and taking it with you, if nobodies around to ask? I guess you could wait for the builders to arrive, but I doubt they'll be bothered much, it was heading out to the rubbish heap anyway.

Will i am bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I tried uploading a video but said the file was too big so here’s a few screenshots of it, the first pic is the oak I just collected but the place is just Yamadori heaven, gutted about the video because it’s even got the sound of construction vehicles going on it, I will try cut the video down later

Attachments

• 127DAD97-7892-4F84-AC17-12B0002663EE.png
    127DAD97-7892-4F84-AC17-12B0002663EE.png
    129.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 3535A902-BE27-438F-93DC-48AB8417C9C3.png
    3535A902-BE27-438F-93DC-48AB8417C9C3.png
    110 KB · Views: 26
  • C8779A13-9D14-4285-9851-D2BDA020D3D5.png
    C8779A13-9D14-4285-9851-D2BDA020D3D5.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 26
  • B5471E92-9D8B-492E-A108-E1DD23209501.png
    B5471E92-9D8B-492E-A108-E1DD23209501.png