Comparing size with Clicio

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree has no thorns.
I will happily send seeds - free - when the virus is over.
Seeds are normally - April / May
Anthony

Bark also flakes
Surface roots are also odd,
Cold tolerance ?

View attachment 328287

trunk

View attachment 328288

This tree got THORNS! (Ceiba erianthos also got butt😜) Credit: Very interesting article from Bonsai Empire
Dragon bonsai, back side

Back of the tree.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Is it a BRT or an Ironwood?
It's a Paineira, very common on the streets of Sao Paulo. The flowers are beautiful and big, but as a bonsai it never blooms.
Ceiba Erianthos.
I have never seen a good bonsai out of it except for this one from the picture. A Venezuelan bonsaist, right?
@leatherback I know a guy selling one here in SP for less than €50.
Should I reserve it for you? It's HUGE.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio, ruler time I would say? Summer is about to start here. So expecting bulking up to soon start too.
Hummm...
Always in winter here... Not fair!
hehehe, joking, I'll grab a picture as soon as I can and post here.
In fact they have had a weaker growth this season due to the rainy summer and not so high temperatures throughout the year so far.
As for the other one, the thornless, I have got one that is going to flower very soon, after being 5 months leafless. I thought it was dead for good, but now it is sprouting at the wrong time, it's the beginning of the winter.
SURELY a slow grower the thornless cultivar. But yours is way healthier than mine.
Below the pictures from 3 days in a row. Look at those flower buds!

Three days ago:
20210606_140357.jpg

Two days ago:
20210612_114105.jpg

This morning:
20210616_085435.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have got one that is going to flower very soon, after being 5 months leafless
I had that happen to me last year. Stupid tree lost it's leaves in the winter and sat like the dead, even once it was outside. Then it just decided to grow and flower. 🤷‍♀️

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio, ruler time I would say? Summer is about to start here. So expecting bulking up to soon start too.
Here we go.
Same age as yours, unhappy with the temperature - 12°C - and rainy, but...
2cm base, almost 1 inch.
I guess it is root bound again. In the Spring it goes to a large shallow pot to fatten up. Or if I manage do move to a new house, to the ground, let's see.
20210617_090019.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It’s so refreshing to see the men with the rulers out “comparing who is biggest” and the subject be some very beautiful trees!
Yes, it's quite a relief!😇

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2cm base, almost 1 inch.
Clearly, yours is thicker due to the heat. I think the girth swells more when it is hot. Mine are noticably slower now.
Maybe I should consider a bigger pot for the biggest one, and let that one just run for the summer, and cut back just before moving indoors in 3 months.

1624016856926.png

1624016886559.png
1624016945255.png
1624016966009.png

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Clearly, yours is thicker due to the heat. I think the girth swells more when it is hot. Mine are noticably slower now.
Maybe I should consider a bigger pot for the biggest one, and let that one just run for the summer, and cut back just before moving indoors in 3 months.
Yes, it makes sense.
I am quite sure mine will double this size if it goes to the ground, or even to a large grow box.
One of the issues here is they get rootbound very fast, and it stalls the growth somehow.
I am glad yours is doing so well in such a harsh climate for tropicals. Congrats!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ok.. time to move the tropicals indoors.. Wired a few sacrifice branches to propagate next summer.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio you asked for it!

Well Mr @leatherback , I have left a comment right there but I will reproduce it here below.

"Jelle, congratulations, very well done.
First comment is... Your thornless one is doing much better than mine. Mine was an air layer from a big one (and that´s how they propagate here - not from cuttings) and the mother tree is also difficult to keep. A loot of dieback and coarse growth..
Next, I do wire them! In fact I have a sapling from the same batch as yours that is fully wired right now. The secret is wiring the young branches and taking the wire off some three to five weeks later, as they will cut and mark the trunk quite badly. In fact, now I prefer the clip and grow method with them, to keep the nice bark unscratched.
Then, about pruning. I usually leave a small stub because they do die back very often, and then clean the stubs on my next pruning session. As you´ve said, they are perfect to be conducted only by scissors.
Thanks a lot for such nice videos and I hope you manage to propagate them. As you know, they are very, very easy to grow from seeds, and that´s my preference here in the tropics.
Please keep doing this great work!"

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As you know, they are very, very easy to grow from seeds,
I know. I do not have easy access to seed though. And I find it is a hard to get species in this part of the world, yet very much sought after! Insane!!

Thank you for the feedback. It helps me understand the specie sbetter!

Top Bottom