Corylus "Contorta" Avellana #2

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
"cishepard" has convinced me one can make a decent bonsai with this crappy species :rolleyes: 😄
Lol, there are plenty of posts out there that started with a good old mallsai chinese elm, turned in to great things.

Who is cishepard, any links I can check out?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not so boring angle of the tree.
620F7014-F2C3-44BB-8CA6-F721FA99DBBA.jpeg

The other tree yet to be pruned which I think I can turn to something cool and less abstract..

0AC87423-5E98-441E-AD6B-580A20977DF7.jpeg
See the big long straight 4ft high shoot? Lol from root stock. I left it on to give more thickness to the base but probably waste of time, I’ll remove it shortly as I fear it’s draining energy from the tree. Also only just noticed that other sucker in the ground!! I’ve cut it off now

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m just a hobbyist who likes to collect pictures of oddballs. They are not my trees and I did not save the credits for the photos ... sorry about that.

Oh you posted above, and I replied to you even! Sorry I’m clearly not paying attention. Thanks for posting pics :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Lol, there are plenty of posts out there that started with a good old mallsai chinese elm, turned in to great things.

Come on, how can you compare Chinese elms that are so easy to work with with other species.

I'm pretty sure someone can post pictures of Catalpa bonsai. Or a shohin horse chesnut, except that apart from trimmed seedlings that you never hear of again after the second year, I've never seen a decent horse chesnut bonsai.

I have weeds that can be trimmed for one or two years and look like "bonsai".:)

;)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Come on, how can you compare Chinese elms that are so easy to work with with other species.

I'm pretty sure someone can post pictures of Catalpa bonsai. Or a shohin horse chesnut, except that apart from trimmed seedlings that you never hear of again after the second year, I've never seen a decent horse chesnut bonsai.

I have weeds that can be trimmed for one or two years and look like "bonsai".:)

;)

Lol, no no, I am talking actual Bonsai, not pretend or temporary.
I am one of those that believes any tree can be turned in to Bonsai. I think there are far more difficult species than this Corylus Avellana. I dont know of them but I'm sure there are!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've never worked with this species but I've almost picked one up on several occasions. In my opinion, I would remove the tall branch. For such a contorted cultivar, this section is overall very straight and uninteresting. From there, if you're determined on a literati, you may grow a new leader with more interest. However, given the nature of the species, i think it would be best to proceed with a windswept design, as the nature of the branch growth is already well adapted to the windswept style. This is appropriate given the other comments saying it is best shown out of leaf, where you can most appreciate the windswept aesthetic. Hard to see the branches, but you can use Google to get some ideas and go from there- starting by lowering the first right branch. Looks like you're good with wiring so should be no problem

Maybe even an informal upright with branches trailing almost to the pot.

To be honest, I think I am probably going to end up going this route.. Id call this more windswept than informal upright? I need to get the right mind to go change its styling. I prefer this. Won't be following it like a plan but I like that, smaller tree with flowing branches.

It back buds well:

DSC_2017 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2016 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2015 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr DSC_2014 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the branching on these plants, and the flowers. But I find that these trees don't often grow the way you wish them to. They have their own minds set on something else and as soon as you think you know where you are going with it the tree changes its mind and goes another way.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree was restyled, very much completely. Now I am happy with it and excited to continue it. With its few surface roots, I think i could even get a bit of nebari out of it. Ill repot in to something more appropriate, next year.

Now it is windswept, much better suited.. don't mind the leaves, they will be off soon and it can be seen properly. This tree and its species are known for Winter image, not with leaves.

DSC_2301 Front, Tilted, leaf removed by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
This is tilted forward a bit, which I like. Also photoshopped out 1 branch which is purely there for vigour gaining at the moment, not part of design. I am happy with the job of removing the previous trunk, nice flush, slightly concaved wound. Clean.

O4iMTHo by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2304 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2308 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2310 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Now the tree has a proper direction. It will be left to grow for the rest of this year. I've not treated this tree will proper attention, all year. Ill try to get as much health and vigour in it, before more work next spring. Small amount of work in Winter, to clean up.

Welcome to thoughts, opinions and suggestions :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fell to the 2014-16 polar vortex. 😢😢
Dang...that sucks. A few old mature ones in town was taken down by the polor votex as well. I offer burlap wind break around mine in the ground...its by far not the specimens that were lost. But hope to see it one day reach old age. Again hated to read that.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A disease swept through MI about 10 years ago and killed most of them around here. They are as rare as Pyracantha around here now.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pruning and adjustments to direction.

I am just winging (pardon the pun) this windswept "form" or "style" I guess one day I should probably google it, but .. Its more fun if I don't.
Basic theory "wind blow branch that way" .. "apply to whole tree" = windswept.

This is not an overly vigorous tree, grows medium-slow. I noticed some branches certainly had more energy than others. I have cut leaves and removed leaves, to try and redirect growth, either to induce back budding or simply to slow down growth.

Contorted hazel spring prune by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I had a strong growing apical branch which I did originally bend round to go the correct direction but decided I couldn't explain it, for the windswept form and I was not overly attached to it + it was too thick, so it was removed.

1624987622591.png

I really like this little tree. Its much less stressful than others. Its potential is whatever I make it. Its a nice little tree, in a few years with some ramification it will look great in a nice wide oval, shallow and winter image with catkins all hanging.

Top Bottom