Cypress sitting on a cliff ROR, help needed.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe. Good thing I am not trying to make a wale fly and land in a tree then because I am already committed. I really doubt I will kill this tree and I have no intention to do so. I have outlined my method a couple times and it is the longer safer route I take for a few reasons. Now we sit back and wait a couple of years and one of us will get to say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!" while spinning around in a righteous fervour hahaha.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
so, when are you going to transplant it? Is your repot season over?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
IMG_1979.JPG I placed it on the front third. I also rotated the rock 90° because I saw a view I liked in one of my pictures. This is the only picture I took of the repot. I used masking tape to hold the roots close to the rock. The rootball was exactly what I was hoping for. The tips are all pointing in the right direction with no effort. All covered in 30 liters of soil with an Anderson flat style bottom.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
View attachment 143871 I placed it on the front third. I also rotated the rock 90° because I saw a view I liked in one of my pictures. This is the only picture I took of the repot. I used masking tape to hold the roots close to the rock. The rootball was exactly what I was hoping for. The tips are all pointing in the right direction with no effort. All covered in 30 liters of soil with an Anderson flat style bottom.
A pic is worth a thousand words. Well done. The roots may take as long as everyone suggest, but who cares? Your vision for the composition stays intact, "Your" vision.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A pic is worth a thousand words. Well done. The roots may take as long as everyone suggest, but who cares? Your vision for the composition stays intact, "Your" vision.
I agree but I am reminded of a so called brilliant engineer who built the most gorgeous, innovative and interesting bridge ever, but it collapsed after the first car passed over it. The fruit of this piece of work will depend on whether or not the tree survives the initial creation of the image.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree but I am reminded of a so called brilliant engineer who built the most gorgeous, innovative and interesting bridge ever, but it collapsed after the first car passed over it. The fruit of this piece of work will depend on whether or not the tree survives the initial creation of the image.
Vance,
True, but who among us has not tried and failed only to try again?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,
True, but who among us has not tried and failed only to try again?
That's true but when one makes such a big deal out of big claims for big dreams amidst big controversy I think evidence of results is required.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
The tree died.

Naw, it is growing very well. Lots of new growth. The tree didn't skip a beat. Thanks LeonardB.

I agree but I am reminded of a so called brilliant engineer who built the most gorgeous, innovative and interesting bridge ever, but it collapsed after the first car passed over it.

Do have a link I read about this? I have heard these stories all my life. The roof top pool that can never be filled because the engineer forgot about the weight of the water. The emergency stairs all turned 90º so they are useless and in result, condemning the building. I have never found an example of one of these actually happening. I'm just curious after hearing about these for so long. If any one of them are true, I can guarantee the project engineer never made the mistake again, one way or another.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How about the bridge over the Columbia River built back in the early 40's, they even have that one on film. The Tacoma Narrows bridge.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The tree died.

Naw, it is growing very well. Lots of new growth. The tree didn't skip a beat. Thanks LeonardB.

Do have a link I read about this? I have heard these stories all my life. The roof top pool that can never be filled because the engineer forgot about the weight of the water. The emergency stairs all turned 90º so they are useless and in result, condemning the building. I have never found an example of one of these actually happening. I'm just curious after hearing about these for so long. If any one of them are true, I can guarantee the project engineer never made the mistake again, one way or another.
I'm glad the tree is alive I would love to see a current picture.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
How about the bridge over the Columbia River built back in the early 40's, they even have that one on film. The Tacoma Narrows bridge.
Vance,
Case in point. If the wind had never blown again, the bridge would still be there today! lol

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Have you given any thought as to how you are going to attach the tree to the stone? There does not appear to be any rough features, crevices, or indentations that give the stone character that would support a tree. Have you ever done anything like this before?. That's one of the things that makes bonsai so frustrating, we know this stuff can be done and we automatically figure it's pretty easy to pull off. Sadly most of the time it is not. So now we see one of the problems with this site. I have had this happen a number of times. I will prepare a response and post it just to find out between the two events an entire page of additional information has been posted that I had not yet seen. Now I cannot delete my now ridiculous post.
Vance,
I didn't see anything close to ridiculous, only info exchanged ( good info too to be used by all ).
I did have a question for you about trying to grow on the rock though. Doesn't this become the same situation as if he were planting on a slab ( and you were right about still needing drainage holes). If you can plant on a slab in muck with moss covering to hold everything in place can't he apply the same logic here? If he wants to cultivate longer roots to be around the ( huge ) rock he could expose them over time to do so ( while maintaining the muck bed all around to keep everything else thriving?). Even while hardening the longer roots over time, the ends ( feeders?) would still be part of the tree support system. Again, over a whopper of a time frame if I am interpreting correctly.
Am I getting closer to the core theory here? I think it would be much easier on everyone concerned if we discussed these ideas to root out what we know and what we want to learn ( I want to learn everything so no question is too dumb in my book of learning ). Remember what we learned on our Vietnam tours that stuck with us to this day ( 45 years later, holy crap! ).
Regards,
Leonard

Top Bottom