Dead Wood Question

DreRega

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am fairly new to Bonsai however I have a mildly green tinted thumb. Over the last year I have tried to educate myself in the art. I finally got myself a few trees and I am a little confused on what to do with one of them. It is a white serrissa that I purchased on ebay. It is about 5" or so. Two of the main branches have not show any buds and I fear that they are dead. The problem is that they are in the front and well I think they give that portion of the tree great movement. What if I kept them and made 2 jin? If I did this I could use the 2 smaller and separate growths on either side to replace the growth from the 2 dead branches. I guess in a clump style. I was planning on removing them along with the other growth I was just using to grow the parts of the roots they are on. I planned on keeping the tree under 12" and a wide canopy.
Ok I'm done rambling here is a. Few pictures please any advice, insight etc... Will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Welcome
Serissa's suck! There is no easy way of putting it nicely. Them and fukien teas are the worst trees someone can start with. I would not attempt to use deadwood in the design. If I had to do something with it I would cut the dead branches off clean but start at the top and work my way down as there may be something left alive. Then seal the cuts.
Don't give up on bonsai if this tree dies just about all of us have killed a serrissa or three.
Filling out your profile and letting us know where you are located will help with any futher advice.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to B-Nut . I had a Series a once but it's no longer with us. I think I looked at it wrong or I didn't hold my face right or something. Any way from what I learned and from reading others experiences with them I gather they're kind of touchy. But there is probably someone here who will give you some good advice. There is a lot of learned members on this forum.
Once again welcome to bonsai and bonsai nut.

DreRega

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a few other trees this isn't the only one. I grew a serrissa for about 2 years and then gave it to my mom. It's been doing fine bower it's not in a bonsai pot. Would it look bad if only the ends were worked on.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had one for four yrs now from a small cutting, just doesn't want to trunk up, but has gnarly bark and exsposed roots, I don't cut anything when its indoors for the winter, just let it grow, come spring when its outside ill cut back.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Bob about both the Serissa and the Tea, very touchy and take forever to become anything. They don't wire well either. The branches may have died if cut back beyond any growth. Good luck with it.

ed

Top Bottom