Defoliated Chinese Elm in our Local Fall Show

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I showed this defoliated Chinese Elm in our club’s fall Show.

C31287D9-092C-4F77-A823-DA13B84025A1.jpeg

I bought it as a pre-bonsai in 1997 from a bonsai nursery in Lilburn, just outside Atlanta when I was on a business trip.

0A457BAC-7323-4768-AC66-6C5841DAE298.jpeg

It was trained largely by clip-and-grow to achieve the ramifications. My wife helped me defoliate it. It took us a combined 6 hours to remove literally thousands of small leaves.

B500F005-0725-4C17-B453-A7D1BB50E5EF.jpeg

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Absolutely beautiful work. If you have any pics showing the progress from 1997 to now, please share.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wonderful work Dr. Hoe! I see you have Soon well trained! 😊

Miss you guys!

Last edited:

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score

Miss you guys!

Miss you guys!
Sergio, this was a last minute entry. I submitted a Chinzan azalea, couple of days before the show the club emailed members asking for more trees. Sound familiar for most club shows? I asked Soon if she was willing to help defoliating, then I would bring this elm to the show.

Attached is the azalea with a dwarf Japanese mulberry, and of course my boss’s shitakusa.

Attachments

• EFBACDD2-8A7B-44FA-8EE8-26AE882C6A29.jpeg
    EFBACDD2-8A7B-44FA-8EE8-26AE882C6A29.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 77

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why would anyone want to defoliate a Chinese elm? The species already has super small leaves ... and beautiful fall colors ... What's the point?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
to add to that, the other reason is to wire out a tree. there's a bit of misconception that people defoliate only to reduce leaf size, but ive often done it in summer to wire out a tree and a few professionals ive observed do that here too.

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
  • show off perfect ramification
  • Increase ramification
  • Ensure light reaches the inside for backbudding
In late autumn? Usually defoliation needs to be done in late spring or early summer ... I see no benefits doing it in fall? Don't you like yellow, orange and/or red fall colors? Anyway, the ramification is really nice :)

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For a winter show yes, or to begin wiring/styling, people will often pluck off the remaining leaves once theyre beginning to turn as it wont affect the health of the tree and it will just resume growing in spring as normal.
fall colours arent reliable on all species anyway.

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Nice unique tree! The combination tree/pot could be much better in my opinion. I think its too deep and too narrow. This fits better in my opinion. Also a ovale/round is fine...virt.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like the same tree I commented on 9 years ago, in this video. I also enjoyed hearing Colin lewis's commentary on it. its great to actually see it again from the front view finally:)

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks like the same tree I commented on 9 years ago, in this video. I also enjoyed hearing Colin lewis's commentary on it. its great to actually see it again from the front view finally:)
Thank you for posting my old video from the 2013 Lone Star State show. It is a different Chinese Elm, also trained using Clip-and-grow. one great feature of this tree is the nebari spread radially outwards without forming a pan-cake roots seen in some Japanese maples and trident.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for posting my old video from the 2013 Lone Star State show. It is a different Chinese Elm, also trained using Clip-and-grow. one great feature of this tree is the nebari spread radially outwards without forming a pan-cake roots seen in some Japanese maples and trident.
oh ok, they do look similar. do you have a photo of this one now? or then and now

Top Bottom