deshojo maple

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So it only stuck on some parts...
I stupidly removed the ziptie to early.
What should i do? Reharm the cambium and push it in our start over with another sapling?

20190709_222152.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks like it might be necrotic, but YES, put the zip tie back.

If there is indeed some dead tissue where the bark looks black in the pic, the cambium should regrow over the next season or two anyway. It could be a long wait, but there is little choice, IMHO, as this would still be the fastest way to recover.

MAPLE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
last try or i will get someone better than me to do it.

View attachment 254777

Best of luck! im attempting several grafts in the coming weeks. Would you perhaps had better success using a more pliable rooted cutting?
Do you have any concerns when using large approach graft that the transition from trunk to nebari will look irregular compared to the rest? would a thread root graft be more appropriate?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Best of luck! im attempting several grafts in the coming weeks. Would you perhaps had better success using a more pliable rooted cutting?
Do you have any concerns when using large approach graft that the transition from trunk to nebari will look irregular compared to the rest? would a thread root graft be more appropriate?
I basically have no idea of what i am doing

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
last try or i will get someone better than me to do it.

View attachment 254777
Using a large graft here doesn't worry me.
My concern with not using a retaining material more flexible is that the maple will grow deformed at that spot as it thickens. Personally, I'd have either used two tacks on either side or tin one screw down the center that would be left on.