deshojo maple

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So it only stuck on some parts...
I stupidly removed the ziptie to early.
What should i do? Reharm the cambium and push it in our start over with another sapling?

20190709_222152.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks like it might be necrotic, but YES, put the zip tie back.

If there is indeed some dead tissue where the bark looks black in the pic, the cambium should regrow over the next season or two anyway. It could be a long wait, but there is little choice, IMHO, as this would still be the fastest way to recover.

MAPLE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
last try or i will get someone better than me to do it.

View attachment 254777

Best of luck! im attempting several grafts in the coming weeks. Would you perhaps had better success using a more pliable rooted cutting?
Do you have any concerns when using large approach graft that the transition from trunk to nebari will look irregular compared to the rest? would a thread root graft be more appropriate?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Best of luck! im attempting several grafts in the coming weeks. Would you perhaps had better success using a more pliable rooted cutting?
Do you have any concerns when using large approach graft that the transition from trunk to nebari will look irregular compared to the rest? would a thread root graft be more appropriate?
I basically have no idea of what i am doing

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
last try or i will get someone better than me to do it.

View attachment 254777

Using a large graft here doesn't worry me.
My concern with not using a retaining material more flexible is that the maple will grow deformed at that spot as it thickens. Personally, I'd have either used two tacks on either side or tin one screw down the center that would be left on.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One more repot... it has a thick root I didn't know if I should've cut.

I left the graft to thicken the roots.

20200725_171450.jpg20200725_165339.jpg20200725_165343.jpgScreenshot_20200725-203110_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20200725-203222_WhatsApp.jpgScreenshot_20200725-203316_WhatsApp.jpg

It might go in that pot in a couple of year.

It went back into the same wooden box

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great success!

I would remove the graft though, to ensure it really connects to the main tree and does not remain dedicated to the whip? Anybody any thoughts?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great success!

I would remove the graft though, to ensure it really connects to the main tree and does not remain dedicated to the whip? Anybody any thoughts?
I saw it once on a m5 thread and dav4's one... ( I think)

And to get roots comparable to the others, I had to let the graft run. I will thin the graft section a bit.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw it once on a m5 thread and dav4's one... ( I think)

And to get roots comparable to the others, I had to let the graft run. I will thin the graft section a bit.
Hey.. I would not dare go against M5!

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would considered keeping the graft. It could work in the future as a twin trunk, perfect spot to arise from the main trunk. If possible, I would get the wire off the trunk down low soon. It would be a a bad place to have a wire scar.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The graft is not a deshojo... so not quite probable to work.
I would considered keeping the graft. It could work in the future as a twin trunk, perfect spot to arise from the main trunk. If possible, I would get the wire off the trunk down low soon. It would be a a bad place to have a wire scar.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One more repot... it has a thick root I didn't know if I should've cut.

I left the graft to thicken the roots.

View attachment 318487View attachment 318488View attachment 318489View attachment 318490View attachment 318491View attachment 318492

It might go in that pot in a couple of year.

It went back into the same wooden box

Nice feeder roots buddy, looks like it has a solid base of roots which should make EVERYTHING easier..
I think I and perhaps other people, underestimate how much of a role roots play in everything.. sounds silly to say out look.
If you've got the roots right, I think the rest of the tree is a lot easier to deal with.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice feeder roots buddy, looks like it has a solid base of roots which should make EVERYTHING easier..
I think I and perhaps other people, underestimate how much of a role roots play in everything.. sounds silly to say out look.
If you've got the roots right, I think the rest of the tree is a lot easier to deal with.
Yeah, for our hot weather roots are essential!
I think its looking better and better.
I usually use Brian's shindeshojo as guide, and I think my roots look similar!

(Bummer that the first pictures dissapeared even though I uploaded them as attachments.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ask @Bonsai Nut if attachments on the forum, are purged after X amount of time..
Id be curious to know too.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ask @Bonsai Nut if attachments on the forum, are purged after X amount of time..
Id be curious to know too.

No they are not purged or deleted. However in January, 2015, we upgraded all the site software to our current platform. At that time, I went through a process to import images from the old database to the new database. It was not particularly effective, and many old images were not transferred by the import utility.

I still have the old images, but they are buried in the old database archives, and are difficult to retrieve.

However going forward, all images are stored in a completely different (and improved) fashion. One of the reasons why I upgraded to this new platform was the vastly improved structure.

Top Bottom