[DIY mortar pots] Sealing the inside of pots to prevent pH affects?

Have you thought about something like this? I've used it to prepare concrete to accept acrylic paint. It seals the surface very well.

I am somewhat familiar with that product. This type of product is a water soluble acrylic polymer. When painted onto the concrete it will polymerize essentially forming a thin, acrylic plastic seal. It is an excellent product. Really, it is the modern, functional replacement, water soluble version of boiled linseed oil. You should never need to add a second coat to seal the concrete. It is easy to clean up, and in the liquid phase is relatively non-toxic, can be disposed of down the drain.

So yes, it is a good product, and a good alternative to boiled linseed oil. It will seal the concrete before painting any other product on. And use of this or similar products makes leaching the concrete before use largely unnecessary.

Reactions: SU2
I have some sulfuric acid drain cleaner. I soak my cement pots in pH 4 until the water stops getting above pH 7.
Or I epoxy the inside of the pot. Varnish seems to work as well, as long as you use the concrete floor varnish, meant to protect concrete floors that are walked on on a daily basis.

I have some sulfuric acid drain cleaner. I soak my cement pots in pH 4 until the water stops getting above pH 7.
I'd swear this was a joke but rarely do you see such deadpan delivery on discussion forums...using an acid in the soak is just going to neutralize the water that's being made alkaline by the chemicals leached from the cement- this does not mean or imply that using sulfuric acid is going to speed-up leaching and really I cannot imagine that soaking concrete in an acid is good for its strength! I use acids to clean-up after making a round of pots!

Back
Top Bottom