Do you like my jins?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I have seen this tree before on Japanese auction sites. At any rate, I am struggling with the deadwood on this tree. Do you feel that it helps or hinders the design?

juni1.jpg

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As this tree sits I personally have a lot of problems with it. Is it Tanuki or just an over bearing piece of deadwood attached to a medicore tree, what I can see of it. If it is a Tanuki, perhaps loosing some volume in the deadwood and shortening the lowest deadwood branch. If it isn't Tanuki then spin it 180 and start again.

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice tree even if Tanuki. However, I would remove the lower branch jin and also the stub that hangs way out to the right on the top jin. I would also minus the two bottom ones to the right. From this view It also looks really foliage heavy for the design. It also looks like you can see the original trunk (if Tanuki) through the dead wood at angle, which is rather distracting.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can't really see much from the back shot, though the base looks interesting in that it looks almost like the trunk was peeled back like a banana peel to create the deadwood. This shot was from before the tree was cleaned up. Even so, there are aspects of this angle that I like much better than the other front.

juni6.jpg

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a Tanuki to me and a poorly done one. The back would be more interesting but then it looks even more fake because the deadwood is sort of supported by the soil

Top Bottom