Dogwood - Bonsai - possibly :P

Reaction score
So a little back story here. October I was started to get the Bonsai "hype". I found this naturally air layered dogwood branch at one of the commercial places I do work for. It came up well enough with a lot of good roots. Plus it has some interesting scars and shape IMHO. Next I found some bonsai pots at Garden Works in the clearance section and got this one for .99 cents. ^^ So I put two and two together, planted some moss, and this (see pics below) is what I got (probably breaking every bonsai rule along the way :( ).

A couple weeks ago a deep freeze was moving in and it was only suppose to last a few days (initially). So I put said dogwood into the basement's cold room. However, newbie me forgot about it, and after two or so weeks I checked in on it. Not only was it very dry :confused: but it was growing. :eek: So now it will be an indoor bonsai for the rest of the winter. :oops:

So with the back story out of the way, I would like some ideas / future direction ideas of where I could possibly take this little gal. Hopefully it will bud out a bit lower down, however I do like the scaring on the big trunk. So any ideas / comments are welcome. :cool:

PS - please ignore the horribly visible wiring job. It was the only way I could wire it to begin with... :p
PPS - the top right branch on the larger trunk is deadwood that may or may not be removed...

Cheers. BR.

Attachments

• IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I first started bonsai I put everything in a bonsai container. I even put stones, or mudmen, of figurines, anything to make my undeveloped trees look like real bonsai. After about 5 years when I actually began to collect some nicer material, it seems I took my earlier trees and planted them either in the ground or a nursery container until they developed enough for me to even call them pre-bonsai. That said...dogwood make nice bonsai.

Reaction score
When I first started bonsai I put everything in a bonsai container. I even put stones, or mudmen, of figurines, anything to make my undeveloped trees look like real bonsai. After about 5 years when I actually began to collect some nicer material, it seems I took my earlier trees and planted them either in the ground or a nursery container until they developed enough for me to even call them pre-bonsai. That said...dogwood make nice bonsai.

Oh I know... I love plants so even if it doesn't turn out the way I want it too, I'll still adore it. :p
I too have some nicer material earmarked for collection this spring (two small but thick yellow cedars and three or so mtn hemlocks) in an old cut block not too far from where I live. Those i'll pot or ground for a while, and won't be rushing.

That being said, Dogwoods are tough and a time a dozen around here... :p

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's a shame that all our native dogwood here have succumbed to fungal issues. They used to be so lovely in the spring. Lucky you that you still have them. Good luck with this one.

Top Bottom