English Elm Yamadori

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I think the branch moving to the left creates a better balanced tree, and as you say that branch has a lot going for it. I don't see going the semi cascade route as improving the image at all. Reducing the right branch as you say may be an option, but I'd want to look at it in 3d for a long time before deciding, and probably study the winter image too.
This tree has such character it's never going to work as a 'standard template' design. Would love to get my hands on it ;)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think the branch moving to the left creates a better balanced tree, and as you say that branch has a lot going for it. I don't see going the semi cascade route as improving the image at all. Reducing the right branch as you say may be an option, but I'd want to look at it in 3d for a long time before deciding, and probably study the winter image too.
This tree has such character it's never going to work as a 'standard template' design. Would love to get my hands on it ;)

13932857_1077555742309466_1713460447331272398_n (1) by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
thats another option, but yeh ill look at again after leaf drop, reducing the right side would make the trunk appear more powerful as well, the canopy is too spreading atm, but reducing the left branch would spoil it

Random User

Reaction score
Bobby!... dude, thats a wicked looking tree you've got right there fella! I know I'm late to comment on this page, but man, thats one of the nicest trees that I've seen in "the little guys hands" to date. What you are looking to do is to take a Picasso and ask how can I dab a little paint on here and make it look better. I know it's your tree and you can do what you like, but before I touched, drilled, carved, or cut any part of that tree I'd ask myself if a little growth, wire, trim or prune couldn't make this exactly what I'd want. I know what I would do if it were mine, but it's your tree and your art... I'm just suggesting that you be certain that doing anything, is the right thing to do.

I don't get envious often, but clearly, I like your little gem.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys and no, i wont be making any drastic cuts, i like the tree as is, but its good to get some design feed back, i will just concentrate on refining the dome canopy, will do some updates over the autumn/winter weeks..

Random User

Reaction score
Auuuuuh!, yer singing the song that I hoped ya'd sing... I love that little tree and it isn't even mine. :)

Random User

Reaction score
BTW, you couldn't have found another rock that would have had the same appeal.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Bobby, I think that you would be forcing it to turn this into a semi-cascade. I think that the current shape, (the pictures from page 1) are fitting for the old feel of the tree. I believe that with a few years of developing the canopy, the tree will grow into the design. I would look hard at the center branching of the canopy, and see if there are some branches that are unneeded that would help to make the image stronger, and create some opening there if they were removed. If there would be a little more separation, the perceived thickening might be reduced. Just a thought...

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Judy, i did do some branch selection and pruning of unwanted branches a few weeks ago, the tree has since responded well
this was a week or two after the branch selection, i was amazed at how quickly it began to back bud
IMG_2117 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2124 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

I think the main branches are pretty much set, just need to build the fine twigging and make further reductions for taper here in there, you can already see how the cut back resulted in a more powerful looking tree, especially from the rear angle, will post some pics when the leaves are off though..

here's what was cut out so far
IMG_2005 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1996 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

the dead branch stub at the back was hollowed out right through also
IMG_1999 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2003 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

these hollows had some rotting wood cleaned out
water now drains straight through from top to bottom
IMG_2012 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_2008 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

and ive wired some branches here and there, but ill mostly use clip n grow

IMG_1998 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1997 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This tree is amazing and really has an old sleepy hollow feel to it. Great tree.

Random User

Reaction score
It looks fantastic Bobby... a little time in that London weather and the tree will regain the uniformity in colouration that was lost when you worked on the trunk... gotta love that weather-beat'n look . Do you have a GoPro?... I'd love to see a short clip of this tree in 3D.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks, ive been tweaking this image, removed some wire that was put on over summer, cut back in areas for taper and branch movement, a little wire here and there..

Autumn

IMG_3204 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

and today, before pruning

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

after
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This will be the new front, let me know what you think folks....
IMG_3283 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

The main branch in the foreground will likely be reduced in the growing season
IMG_3281 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

It will go into this round pot by Erin, had it a while and never really had anything to go inside it, i think it will work
2016-12-18_03-43-26 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

I think the trunk just looks better from the new angle, less in your face

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really great tree Bobby, I love the unique ones like this. I really like the new angle in 2d it makes the tree look more compact and improves the look of the base. But.... in 3D unless I understand wrong, the tree would really be leaning away from the viewer.

Of course this tree doesn't need to follow the "rules", I just think this might be an important thing to think about.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You've done some outstanding work on the tree. Really.....Mighty fine work!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really great tree Bobby, I love the unique ones like this. I really like the new angle in 2d it makes the tree look more compact and improves the look of the base. But.... in 3D unless I understand wrong, the tree would really be leaning away from the viewer.

Of course this tree doesn't need to follow the "rules", I just think this might be an important thing to think about.

Hi Matt, yes i agree, the feeling i get when viewing on my balcony is that from this angle, the tree twists away then comes back, i enjoy this angle rather than the first. the two central apex's...one goes up and the other comes back to the viewer and veers left. with the rear, left n right branches i think the tree has great depth and the large deadwood knuckle from the main angle becomes less in your face, the taper of the tree on a whole is better and of course the base appears more powerful.. as you say, Yamadori are allowed to break some 'guidelines' i believe...

However, i want to build it to look great from all angles, so will go into a round pot.
i think all the primary branches now have good movement and taper, but the apex in the foreground i'd like to cut back a little, from this angle it appears a little thick n straight, it could potentially be removed and the tree built from the three primarys behind it. atm it helps bring the tree back

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree.
I think i would keep the original front where as the trunk goes to the right.
The back is also nice.
The topbranch on the outer right i would like to see come more to the front and go over the shari in a bit just to hide a little of that.
Well, i think anyway thats what i would do.
Special tree
image.jpg

Random User

Reaction score
I don't know how someone who continuously comes up with interesting trees can listen to such horrible music... maybe thats where evil genius gets inspiration?... :p ha ha!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is interesting from both sides. I like the idea of a round so you can work it both ways. I like the compactness and power of the new front, but the other image is pretty stunning as well. This is a special tree, I don't think you can go wrong either way. For the "old" front, I would work on growing some of the branching back toward the viewer, as most of it seems to be reaching away. So nice, easy to stare at this one for a while.

Top Bottom