Feeling guilty about pest control

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Not directly bonsai-related, but when moving some trees from my deck rail, I noticed what I thought was a large spider egg sac hanging underneath. Upon closer inspection it was a paper wasp "nest". I watched this single wasp going to each grub in each comb cell and then she took off. I removed the nest and then researched the critters from the safety of the house.

I kind of felt bad - she was the young queen setting up her own colony. Paper wasps are hardcore caterpillar killers in order to feed their young, and are also great pollinators when they collect nectar. If it weren't for the fact that we don't want a nest right there 5 feet from where we hang out I should have left it alone. Poor little grubs were all wiggly in there... sniff... Another cool thing is they spit out some funky saliva and spread it all over the nest stem and the supporting surface and that keeps the ants away so they don't raid the nest and kill the babies.

Now that I look at the photos she is a gorgeous creature - didn't mind me being 4 inches away with the camera at all. I guess as wasps go these are kind of the good ones - gardeners' friends in a way.

Attachments

• 1-web.jpg
    1-web.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2-web.jpg
    2-web.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 3-web.jpg
    3-web.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 30

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I personally do not mind them but I remove them...just because my daughter is highly allergic to wasp sting and I cannot risk it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have these wasps build nests around our deck every year. I leave them alone and have never had a problem...they don't seem to be aggressive (like yellow jackets or hornets). However, we don't have a lot of people using the deck (other than ourselves). If we did I might remove them.

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've been stung by paper wasps more then once...OUCH!! They may be beneficial predators, but I wouldn't tolerate them anywhere on my deck....my daughter also appears hypersensitive to certain insect stings, too, so their close proximity to my family's living space is a no go.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Now that I look at the photos she is a gorgeous creature - didn't mind me being 4 inches away with the camera at all. I guess as wasps go these are kind of the good ones - gardeners' friends in a way.

Yes, certain wasp species can be of huge help to gardeners and farmers alike. Certain parasitic wasps lay their eggs in many common crop pests... in fact the Organic farm I work on is talking about releasing a parasitic wasp species that would help control the leaf miner grubs that have really been doing a number on the spinach and swiss chard crop this year. Very interesting.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Insects or rodents of any kind try to build a home on my home, it's war. Since the ownership of my home I've killed a shitload of stuff. They should have known better.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have cans of spray that shoot 30 feet. They get the job done. I have been stung too many times to ever let a nest go un-killed. But then again I'm not squirrel friendly either.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Insects or rodents of any kind try to build a home on my home, it's war. Since the ownership of my home I've killed a shitload of stuff. They should have known better.
Be careful of what you wage war against. Many of those "pests" eat the bad guys that destroy your stuff. Just a thought.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Murder in your heart and a grudge on your shoulder, I love it! People may find your words harsh, and I know you were probably kind of kidding, but real talk- this type of attitude is the essence of man. Without the "this is my cave stay the F*** away" mentality, our species wouldn't have made it through caveman times. I can appreciate the beauty and importance of wasps, roaches, ants... When I watch the Discovry channel! In MY HOUSE, they are the enemy. It is war and I am gonna win!

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Be careful of what you wage war against. Many of those "pests" eat the bad guys that destroy your stuff. Just a thought.

In the yard I leave em be, they can do their thing. But so far killed a rat burrow under the deck and in a wall, killed yellow jackets in the wall that ate through Sheetrock to come to the interior of the house, smashed a wasp nest on my overhang, slayed a wild mouse in the basement, killed a squirrel by accident, a few birds died by flying into the windows and I'm pretty sure an autopsy would reveal the rabbit in the back died of natural causes.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the yard I leave em be, they can do their thing. But so far killed a rat burrow under the deck and in a wall, killed yellow jackets in the wall that ate through Sheetrock to come to the interior of the house, smashed a wasp nest on my overhang, slayed a wild mouse in the basement, killed a squirrel by accident, a few birds died by flying into the windows and I'm pretty sure an autopsy would reveal the rabbit in the back died of natural causes.
I'm with you on the rodents and larger mammals, birds, etc. I was really talking about bees, spiders, and non-threatening insects that actually do eat the other insects that chew on trees. Bees pollinate plants that feed us and keep the cycle of life going. I dont know too much about wasps vs. bees, but I know I dont like to get stung, and know that some of them make it possible for me to eat, so I try to cut them some slack. Rats, squirrels, most birds, rabbits, insects in my house? F* em. But if it's on my trees and not chewing leaves, I leave em alone.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Same here. Kill them all.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Now that I look at the photos she is a gorgeous creature - didn't mind me being 4 inches away with the camera at all.

Those are excellent photos. Point & Shoot camera, or dSLR w/ (true) Macro lens?

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Canon DSLR with stock 80-200mm lens. I just was able to literally get the lens as close as possible and still stay in focus.

Top Bottom