Ficus Akadama Repot Leaf Drop

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
If that's the only plant you're using it for, might be alright and better than nothing.

Yeah, I'd only really use it on this tree, and if it responds well I could use it in general for the winter months. I had a look at the actual website for the bulb, and it looks pretty good. It's my only real option at short notice and where I live, so lets see how it goes!

I'm thinking I'll set it up overnight and let the tree get daylight during the day.

Here is the link with full specification if you're interested:

https://venso-ecosolutions.de/shop/.../e27-pflanzenlampe-winter?number=E501200&c=33

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Interesting, so just extra light during the day time? Is that more favourable than supplementing at night?
It's been discussed on here that more than 18 hours is not beneficial and they actually need some dark time.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
It's been discussed on here that more than 18 hours is not beneficial and they actually need some dark time.

I really appreciate how much I've learnt in this small space of time, it's the things we do wrong that teach us the most!

Got the lamp set up ready for collecting the bulb tomorrow. My girlfriend is going to hate me with this lamp on during the day! 😂

IMG_20210226_233621.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update, picked up the bulb, and quite surprised how much light it gives out. My girlfriend definitely isn't happy with the violet colour 😂

View attachment 357186
Hehe!!! BLURPLE!!

People will think you are a “Worm Farmer”

;)

(I have “blurples”, too! Not judging. 🤓)

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hehe!!! BLURPLE!!

People will think you are a “Worm Farmer”

;)

(I have “blurples”, too! Not judging. 🤓)

Hey I was limited with what I could get at such short notice! It seems really nice quality though.

Any thoughts how long it'll take for the sad lad to recover with the grow light on 12-16h a day? (and a big window)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey I was limited with what I could get at such short notice! It seems really nice quality though.

Any thoughts how long it'll take for the sad lad to recover with the grow light on 12-16h a day? (and a big window)
My flowering plants REALLY like “blurple” ;)

Not sure about exact time... but photo-changes to the environment are normally one of the first noticed/expressed(Foliar) by a plant.

He already looks more happy.
🤓

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
My flowering plants REALLY like “blurple” ;)

Not sure about exact time... but photo-changes to the environment are normally one of the first noticed/expressed(Foliar) by a plant.

He already looks more happy.
🤓

I'm excited for this :)

I normally mist once a day at night if I remember, will he still appreciate that whilst in recovery-mode? The misting will probably knock off most of the dying leaves 😂

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm excited for this :)

I normally mist once a day at night if I remember, will he still appreciate that whilst in recovery-mode? The misting will probably knock off most of the dying leaves 😂
“Misting” is a LOADED topic... I personally notice LESS fungal issues withOUT misting.. i use a “cool mist” humidifier, though.

I would take off the dying leaves... “from the ashes..” y’know?

:)

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
“Misting” is a LOADED topic... I personally notice LESS fungal issues withOUT misting.. i use a “cool mist” humidifier, though.

I would take off the dying leaves... “from the ashes..” y’know?

:)

I think as I only have the one bonsai (quite a lot of other plants though 🤓), and our apartment is well ventilated, in general I don't have problems with fungal issues.

I took off most of the really yellow leaves earlier.. I'm actually glad this has happened in a way, as it was kicker for me to finally get a growth lamp, feels like I'm cheating now 😈

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Monday update: he's had 2 days under the grow light (and was nice and bright yesterday too), and the yellowing of leaves has really slowed down a lot. I'd say the tree lost half its leaves so far, but I think most of the ones left now will stay 🤞

In terms of new growth when it starts again, do you guys think the tree will send out new shoots and make the current bare shoots even longer? Or will it more bud back on the existing shoots?

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wednesday update: I was wrong and it's still losing more leaves unforunately, however they aren't really yellowing. They just are able to fall off with a little touch. I'd say it's lost about 75-80% of total leaves from its lushest now.

General question for those far more knowledgeable than me, some mentioned it may lose all its leaves completely before bouncing back. If a tropical tree loses all its leaves, how can it know when to grow new ones if there's no signalling via light and photosynthesis due to no leaves? Please excuse my lack of knowlegde on this area! I'm just curious about the particular mechanisms and physiology that would cause it to grow again after losing everything.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
Hi I have had figs loose all there leaves in winter and bounce back in spring it can be quite a shock. I had a willow leaf fig do this to me this year and it sat leafless for two months, now it is starting to leaf out again. I think heat plays a large roll also the green twigs and stipules still can detect the light to some degree.

Aryto

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8ab
Hi,

First-time poster here. I'm also in Switzerland (Léman region) and also started bonsai in 2014 with two ficus (the ones sold as ficus ginseng). I learned a lot with these trees as they survive pretty much anything (severe or multiple repottings, out-of-season work, wiring and rewiring constantly, you name it).

However, contrary to what a lot of people report here, I can fortunately say that I have never experienced leaf drop. The only time I lost a ficus was when I repotted, pruned and wired a cutting all at the same time, and just months after striking it...

I had the luck of finding articles on Ficus from Jerry Meislik when I started out. These are a few of the outstanding points which I think can help you succeed with ficus:
  • Soil: very free draining (I use the classic Akadama Pumice Lava).
  • Indoor lights: I use full spectrum fluorescent lights (Narva Biovital, but I think it is sold under another name now). I turn them on when the sun rises and turn them off when it is getting dark outside.
  • Watering: practically every day, even during winter (hence the importance of very free draining soil).
  • Fertilizing: I fertilize A LOT (pellets and liquid, all organic) almost all year round (I stop around November and restart February).
  • Also, I bring them outside as soon as the temps get to an average of 10° C. On sunny and warm winter days, I also bring them out.
Best of luck to you and your trees!

Regards,
Miguel

PS: very nervous as this is my first post...but I just couldn't resist sharing with a fellow Swiss resident!

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi,

First-time poster here. I'm also in Switzerland (Léman region) and also started bonsai in 2014 with two ficus (the ones sold as ficus ginseng). I learned a lot with these trees as they survive pretty much anything (severe or multiple repottings, out-of-season work, wiring and rewiring constantly, you name it).

However, contrary to what a lot of people report here, I can fortunately say that I have never experienced leaf drop. The only time I lost a ficus was when I repotted, pruned and wired a cutting all at the same time, and just months after striking it...

I had the luck of finding articles on Ficus from Jerry Meislik when I started out. These are a few of the outstanding points which I think can help you succeed with ficus:
  • Soil: very free draining (I use the classic Akadama Pumice Lava).
  • Indoor lights: I use full spectrum fluorescent lights (Narva Biovital, but I think it is sold under another name now). I turn them on when the sun rises and turn them off when it is getting dark outside.
  • Watering: practically every day, even during winter (hence the importance of very free draining soil).
  • Fertilizing: I fertilize A LOT (pellets and liquid, all organic) almost all year round (I stop around November and restart February).
  • Also, I bring them outside as soon as the temps get to an average of 10° C. On sunny and warm winter days, I also bring them out.
Best of luck to you and your trees!

Regards,
Miguel

PS: very nervous as this is my first post...but I just couldn't resist sharing with a fellow Swiss resident!

Amazing insight thank you! My new substrate is from bonsai.ch, and it's their house blend of Akadama/lava rock, its super free draining. I've been doing a similar thing with my grow light, but turning it off a little later at about 10:30pm at the moment. The previous greenkeeper in me likes that you fertilise a lot! I am holding off from fertilising now though, as I heard I should wait for signs of new growth before fertilising..

Some people say Ficus really don't like to be moved around, interesting that you bring them out to the sun.

Is wiring very supple branches stressful to the plant? I was planning to do a really thorough re-wire if it dropped all its leaves, as I can finally see the shape really well. But if that will stress it further then perhaps I should not..

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
I would not wire whilst it is sulking just incase, I keep my figs outside when the weather permits, this is essential to good health. No grow light compares to the big fiery grow light in the sky.

Ed_Inc

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would not wire whilst it is sulking just incase, I keep my figs outside when the weather permits, this is essential to good health. No grow light compares to the big fiery grow light in the sky.

I learned this last year, as soon as the temps are up a bit he'll be heading back outside. The night time temps are still around freezing at the moment here. Once there are signs of fresh growth would wiring be okay?

I did some moderate wiring before potting it, perhaps that added to the stress.. I didn't realise wiring stressed the plant!

Top Bottom