ficus retusa progression

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
thanks for updating. I grow mine outdoors from spring to fall and don't even get aero roots like yours. After seeing yours, I have lots off root pruning to do.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking great Eric... a happy camper for sure... like the pot.

Thanks Tom. Took your advice on the shallow pot and surface roots are starting to show.

Eric, thanks for updating us on this one. Very nice banyan style. Makes me re-think my big retusa a little...

Thanks Mat

Very nice work with this Ficus ! I love the pot, all around you have made some great choices with this one. I am a fan of tropicals my myself.

ed

Thanks Ed, not bad for an indoor grown tree. lol

Great work Eric, thanks for the update.......very nice SR pot.

Thanks Ghues, I was with my 10 month old daughter (at the time) when I picked up this last August at the Midwest bonsai show in Chicago and she gave me a nice cute baby discount! :)

thanks for updating. I grow mine outdoors from spring to fall and don't even get aero roots like yours. After seeing yours, I have lots off root pruning to do.

Thanks, It took me several re-potting to get all of the big roots out and i am really happy with the result of aggressive pruning.

Eric

MBatcho1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I noticed you guys talked about the "straw method". Might I ask how that works? I have a ficus that has little nubs coming out of it but they are very small. Would I just put the litte nubs in the straw and put the straw in the ground?

Just want to get some aerial roots myself.

Thanks

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've used drinking straws that are colored for the purpose of blocking sun light and I also place a string of spaghnum moss in them. Just carefully position the straw under the nub and keep it in place, mist some water into the straw and avoid direct sun light. I've read that you should let the soil dry out more so the aero roots will grow faster seeking water.

I noticed you guys talked about the "straw method". Might I ask how that works? I have a ficus that has little nubs coming out of it but they are very small. Would I just put the litte nubs in the straw and put the straw in the ground?

Just want to get some aerial roots myself.

Thanks

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I used little colored ones that had a bendable top. That sort of helped with the angle of getting it out of the branch and heading towards the soil. You may also want to cut a slit in them lengthwise. I didn't do this on a couple I put on a schefflera, and I had a real tough time getting them off after roots took and expanded.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New Bonsai style.... The 'Friar Tuck' Style! (according to my wife :p)

1-bonsai.jpg

Eric

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Amazing Progression

Awesome love to see such a healthy tree

root_over_rock_Holly-460x360.jpg

Wish I kept a log of this one :(

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is looking really good. nice work, especially for growing it indoors.

Thanks catfish chapstick.

Growing indoors is a slow process in terms of progression, but bonsai is not something you rush anyways.:)

Awesome love to see such a healthy tree
Wish I kept a log of this one :(

Thanks Best-bonsai. You can always start your progression log now.

Eric

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yey!

Just an update.....

The tree was shown at the Midwest Bonsai Show in Chicago and got awarded 2nd place in the novice category by guest master Bjorn Bjorholm!

Desktop1.jpg

Eric- 'A very happy indoor grower!' :D:cool::D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just an update.....

The tree was shown at the Midwest Bonsai Show in Chicago and got awarded 2nd place in the novice category by guest master Bjorn Bjorholm!

View attachment 40271

Eric- 'A very happy indoor grower!' :D:cool::D

And they say you can't grow tropicals in the north :rolleyes:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very impressive! I don't think anyone would be able to tell it was the same tree from the first pic posted. Outstanding work!

Rob

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are the green sticks in the show pics for?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Would you stick those in there after they start growing or place on branch and hope they start?

ptnull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
this ficus is looking really nice and happy. Can you inform more about the current indoor growing conditions? like temperature range, humidity and light conditions?

Top Bottom