ficus retusa progression

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sharing progression photos of my banyan style ficus 'retusa' grown indoors all year:)

eric

Photos taken november 2007, december 2008, december 2009

Attachments

• IMG_0092-3.JPG
    IMG_0092-3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_1466-1.jpg
    IMG_1466-1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_3025.JPG
    IMG_3025.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 619
Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Eric,
Nice progression.
How long did it take for the aerial roots to take (it looks like you used the plastic straw method)?
Cheers Gman

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Eric,
Nice progression.
How long did it take for the aerial roots to take (it looks like you used the plastic straw method)?
Cheers Gman

ghues,

thanks, this tree still have a long way to go but its going somewhere.:)

the ariel roots usually takes around two weeks (more or less) from a stub to reach the soil level. i took out the straws after 4 months. now im trying to fatten them up with a good fertilizing regime.

eric

BonsaiMon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work Eric.. for indoor grown you are doing all the right things.. :)
Time to get it into a shallow wider pot and continue with ramification.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work Eric.. for indoor grown you are doing all the right things.. :)
Time to get it into a shallow wider pot and continue with ramification.

thanks tom,

my plan on this tree for this year is to get more ariel roots closer to the trunk and it might require wrapping the trunk with sphagnum moss and plastic. i am also trying to thicken some ends of major branches that i started growing last year before going to a shallower pot.

indoor growing is slow but its getting there.:)

eric

BonsaiMon

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks tom,

my plan on this tree for this year is to get more ariel roots closer to the trunk and it might require wrapping the trunk with sphagnum moss and plastic. i am also trying to thicken some ends of major branches that i started growing last year before going to a shallower pot.

indoor growing is slow but its getting there.:)

eric

my thoughts on the wider pot, not necessarily swallower than current, would help create more feeders for growth and greater moisture area(humidity tray effect).
How do you control the humidity levels in your grow area?

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
A more aggressive root pruning might encourage more nutrient flow through the Aerial roots, thickening the roots as well as the branches to which they connect.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my thoughts on the wider pot, not necessarily swallower than current, would help create more feeders for growth and greater moisture area(humidity tray effect).
How do you control the humidity levels in your grow area?

hi tom,
thanks for the good suggestion. i will try to find a wider pot before july this year. as for humidity control, i don't really do anything about it, the humidity in my grow area hovers around 30% during winter and soon as i open the windows in spring and summer it goes to around 60%. in my observation, the plants react to the extra humidity by producing areial roots during that time.

A more aggressive root pruning might encourage more nutrient flow through the Aerial roots, thickening the roots as well as the branches to which they connect.

hi noisee,
i do aggressively root prune this tree every summer and it always filll the pot with new growth in a short time. :)

eric

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring update on my banyan ficus tree:) While deciduous trees are leafing out, i decided to defoliate this guy! :D

Eric

photos taken april 28 2010

Attachments

• IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_4104.JPG
    IMG_4104.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 286

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just an update after leafing out.:)

eric

Attachments

• IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 215

Dustin Mann

Seedling
Reaction score
I echo Tom's suggestions about (1) prune surface roots, (2) longer/wider growing area. I have wrapped roots to trunk/plastic bag; that is fine and will get aerials. However if you don't prune surface roots your first 2 primary branches will remain thin(not much thicker than a pencil)The surface roots will wrap around pot and under trunk(fig roots are aggressive/invasive)Have had thick surface roots so strong that I used concave cutter and made a wall nebari. Realize your growing conditions different(humidity). I have opposite- 150 trees in greenhouse that humidity never below 60-70%. Some green islands will grow aerials around branches like someone with hairey arms. Dustin Mann

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just an update, bag out and new arieal roots!:D

eric

Attachments

• IMG_4504.JPG
    IMG_4504.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 214

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update. Finally had the chance to re-pot the tree yesterday. I am really happy with the ariel roots that I got this year. Last year, I cut the last of the big roots that i was reducing for the past 4 years. The pot was full of roots and almost all of them are fine fedder roots. The root ball is now as flat as a pancake. Its sat perfectly in the new shallow Sara Ryner 15 x 12.5 x 2 pot that I just got from the Chicago bonsai show. I do hope that this shallow pot will help to produce more surface roots. The tree stands at 12" above the soil line, 24" wide and the trunkline is about 6-1/2".

Its a bit overgrown. Needs a lot of trimming and shaping, but its getting there.:D

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_0878-1.JPG
    IMG_0878-1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 163

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update. Tree is moving along nicely even with the neglect its getting.

Eric

2012 banyan style.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Eric, thanks for updating us on this one. Very nice banyan style. Makes me re-think my big retusa a little...

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice work with this Ficus ! I love the pot, all around you have made some great choices with this one. I am a fan of tropicals my myself.

ed

Top Bottom