Finally got myself a chunky monkey... tigerbark.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right, I think it's the reverse taper that throws me off and the fact it's a lump of wood taking up room in that pot. I love the look of the pruning scars of old roots either side of it. IF this were chopped off then you could have another nice scar, but it's not a pretty trunk so it may be a shame to lose it. I like your thinking with this one, keep going

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You're right, I think it's the reverse taper that throws me off and the fact it's a lump of wood taking up room in that pot. I love the look of the pruning scars of old roots either side of it. IF this were chopped off then you could have another nice scar, but it's not a pretty trunk so it may be a shame to lose it. I like your thinking with this one, keep going
It's an ugly rule breaker for sure. But my kind of ugly/gnarly. 😉 Lumps and bumps all over the thing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I honestly can't believe I was hesitant to add ficus to the mix. Two weeks inside and we have not lost one leaf. And today I noticed signs of growth. 😎 Same with the too-little...it never skipped a beat when I brought it in last year. Man, I would be a hoarder if I had the space.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Going to place an order for more wire. I'm just not sure I have the right thickness I need to finish what I start. But I'm itching to set the apex in place and get this tree more in the direction I mentally see it.

I guess, I've been more in a shell than I realized. You see...my brother has needed heart surgery for several years. Surgeon wouldn't touch him unless he lost weight. (100+ lbs) Cardiologist said he would never see the day of surgery then. Chose to send him to a heart transplant surgeon. Who said his chances of survival was better losing weight and having his heart repaired. He was not a candidate for a transplant with repair an option.

He had an aortic valve which was bad and ascending aortic aneurysm. Also known as AVR and AAA. His aneurysm was a 6. They tend to operate on a 4. Last year during his PET scan. They stated it was now an 8. That he had lost weight...great. because now it was life and death basically. Bring on covid. No room in the ICU for a surgery patient to recover. The surgeon uses a special team for aneurysms. So three schedules also had to line up. ICU room, surgeon and this team.

Meanwhile...his health was declining...rapidly. I kept standing on my faith God orders his footsteps and when it was his time...he would have the surgery. It got to the point my brother doubted he would see surgery. Said as much...and I clearly rebuked that statement then and there speaking health and live over him.

Praise God...he is home recovering from surgery. The surgeon said the aneurysm was a specific term. Basically 2 weeks to 2 months and it would have ruptured. It had gotten that bad. But he's repaired and mending at home thank God. So today...I look at the tigerbark...and I am ready to wire it. Just...need to order some wire so if I start...I make sure I can finish. But life sure can turn our world upside down...and set us into a funk with no inspiration to work out trees. Lost my MIL to covid 5 days before Christmas as well. So glad its been winter and most my trees have been dormant. That took a huge load off my shoulders...as I really didn't have the desire to do much with them.

*Be kind to people...we know not the quiet battles they face.

Can't wait to set that apex in order and bring this tree together. Ordering wire today.

20210307_085558.jpg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Going to place an order for more wire. I'm just not sure I have the right thickness I need to finish what I start. But I'm itching to set the apex in place and get this tree more in the direction I mentally see it.

I guess, I've been more in a shell than I realized. You see...my brother has needed heart surgery for several years. Surgeon wouldn't touch him unless he lost weight. (100+ lbs) Cardiologist said he would never see the day of surgery then. Chose to send him to a heart transplant surgeon. Who said his chances of survival was better losing weight and having his heart repaired. He was not a candidate for a transplant with repair an option.

He had an aortic valve which was bad and ascending aortic aneurysm. Also known as AVR and AAA. His aneurysm was a 6. They tend to operate on a 4. Last year during his PET scan. They stated it was now an 8. That he had lost weight...great. because now it was life and death basically. Bring on covid. No room in the ICU for a surgery patient to recover. The surgeon uses a special team for aneurysms. So three schedules also had to line up. ICU room, surgeon and this team.

Meanwhile...his health was declining...rapidly. I kept standing on my faith God orders his footsteps and when it was his time...he would have the surgery. It got to the point my brother doubted he would see surgery. Said as much...and I clearly rebuked that statement then and there speaking health and live over him.

Praise God...he is home recovering from surgery. The surgeon said the aneurysm was a specific term. Basically 2 weeks to 2 months and it would have ruptured. It had gotten that bad. But he's repaired and mending at home thank God. So today...I look at the tigerbark...and I am ready to wire it. Just...need to order some wire so if I start...I make sure I can finish. But life sure can turn our world upside down...and set us into a funk with no inspiration to work out trees. Lost my MIL to covid 5 days before Christmas as well. So glad its been winter and most my trees have been dormant. That took a huge load off my shoulders...as I really didn't have the desire to do much with them.

Can't wait to set that apex in order and bring this tree together. Ordering wire today.

View attachment 358938
Glad to hear your brother received the surgery and is doing well.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Glad to hear your brother received the surgery and is doing well.
Thanks Carol... hearing him decline was the hardest thing. His heart cough...would make me cringe. So hard on his aneurysm. But he's home...recovering with his mechanical valve and aneurysm repaired. I am so humbly grateful...that he is. Tears of gratitude...hit me off and on. Especially knowing how close we were to possibly losing him. He's 50...just 50 years old. With a second chance at life. Feels so good...knowing that. Everyday...he will get stronger. Moving forward in health.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can hear in your story that you have been through more than words can convey, Darlene. Getting to know you on the forum, I have gained great respect for your kindness and positivity. Thank you for sharing, and I hope that this year continues to bring you healing and hope!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can hear in your story that you have been through more than words can convey, Darlene. Getting to know you on the forum, I have gained great respect for your kindness and positivity. Thank you for sharing, and I hope that this year continues to bring you healing and hope!
Thank you..."you have no idea". So much going on besides the medical. Sheriff involved...I was scared to be outside. Fearful to be alone watering trees in the greenhouse. Laying in bed wondering if our doors were locked when the dogs were out last. Things are settling down...and that my concern for my brother was forefront on my mind a distraction while outside sometimes and I would have to refocus. But moving forward...and I can be outside without fear now. I can close my eyes...and fall asleep without fear of if my doors are or aren't locked. And...I can feel me slipping back into feeling my old positive nature again. I feel...I can honestly communicate with people and not second guess what I wrote as coming off wrong because of my state of mind. I have hope once more...if just today is going to be. Okay.

Thanks for the kind words.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

View attachment 358938

That's pretty scary Darlene. I hope he makes a full recovery.
On a happier note I love this funky ficus.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad he finally got the surgery Darlene.
Praying for a fast and healthy recovery

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think I fully appreciated the size of it until this last picture! I have heard that "tigerbark" can refer to just about any variety of f. microcarpa with striped bark, and maybe that is why yours is so different from mine. The tigerbark that I have, and all of its children, has leaves that average around an inch long, compared to the leaves on my standard microcarpa that are 2"+. I am guessing the leaves on yours are tending more towards the large side?

It does look like that light is giving you strong growth!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't think I fully appreciated the size of it until this last picture! I have heard that "tigerbark" can refer to just about any variety of f. microcarpa with striped bark, and maybe that is why yours is so different from mine. The tigerbark that I have, and all of its children, has leaves that average around an inch long, compared to the leaves on my standard microcarpa that are 2"+. I am guessing the leaves on yours are tending more towards the large side?

It does look like that light is giving you strong growth!
I don't have enough ramification to help with leaf reduction. Right now I'm feeding heavily to develop taper and structure.

Leaf reduction comes when the tree is further developed. Not a real concern of mine at this time. 😉 they will deduce.

Top Bottom