First indoor setup! tips and tricks wanted!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does everyone do regarding fertilizer when they bring in their tropicals? Keep the full schedule? Reduce a certain amount?
I use liquid fertilizer indoors about every 4 to 8 weeks depending on the type of plant ( I have much more than bonsai), its location (light and heat) and my intention (grow or hold). Outside I fertilze every 1 to 3 weeks depending on time of the season and current environmental conditions ( rain, temperature, light, etc).

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting that several of you are doing 18 hour days. I decided to go with 12 hour days last winter an my BRT grew like gangbusters. My Gmelina went to sleep as usual but the BRT was perfectly happy. I now have a Desmodium to winter indoors, too. Maybe I'll add some light but I don't think I'll go to 18.

The original scientific paper I first saw suggesting 18 hours was the optimum day length for species that were not photoperiod sensitive, was back in 1975 or 1976, while I was a student at UW-Madison. I used to "live" in the Ag library. Back then I read a paper on a UW-Madison Sylvitics Department (the Wood Lab) using Pinus strobus in growth chambers. THAT is where my statement about using 18 hours initially came from. The references are out there, some are from the "before the internet era", and may not be accessible on line. That is likely why the factoid seems like "received knowledge" in that studies were done in the 1960's and 1970's and it has not been thought necessary to repeat them. The technique of compensating for lower light output with longer day length was when we were doing our under lights growing with old fashioned 40 watt T-12 fluorescents in 48 inch shop light fixtures. And that was all we had to work with for under lights growing.

@leatherback - the key sentence in the review you posted, backs up my assertion above is

"Furthermore, lighting at a lower irradiance over a longer period may be more efficient than a high irradiance SD treatment due to the hyperbolic relationship between PAR and photosynthesis. Low intensity LD lighting can, at least in part, offset respiration. The LD growth phenomenon has yet to be exploited in commercial crop production, but the potential benefits are clear. "

SD = short daylength
LD = Long Daylength

The underline emphasis is my insertion into the quote.
Thanks, your reference essentially restates the results of the Pinus strobus study I read almost 50 years ago.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, your reference essentially restates the results of the Pinus strobus study I read almost 50 years ago.
Nice to see they had it right then already :)

It is tricky though. There is the "minimum amount of light needed for break even" to keep in mind too. Which depends on the species & circumstances under which the tree grew up. And the maximum amount of light untill you max out photosynthetic capacity. Within that range it is beneficial for a plant to get light. How long a dark phase is needed for the plant to "reset the photosynthetic cycle" is again species specific. All this makes it a bit of trial error and guessing. But with generic papers such as that one, some direction is given.

I do not like to run heaters and lights for my plants so an 19 hr day will not happen here. I will add a little light to get to 12hrs, because that is what is in their natural habit the normal cycle.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice to see they had it right then already :)

It is tricky though. There is the "minimum amount of light needed for break even" to keep in mind too. Which depends on the species & circumstances under which the tree grew up. And the maximum amount of light untill you max out photosynthetic capacity. Within that range it is beneficial for a plant to get light. How long a dark phase is needed for the plant to "reset the photosynthetic cycle" is again species specific. All this makes it a bit of trial error and guessing. But with generic papers such as that one, some direction is given.

I do not like to run heaters and lights for my plants so an 19 hr day will not happen here. I will add a little light to get to 12hrs, because that is what is in their natural habit the normal cycle.

The Pinus strobus study clearly stated that the "dark cycle" would be satisfied with 6 hours of darkness.

12 hours of light is "natural" for only 2 days per year, the vernal and autumnal equinoxes. That's it. Only plants living exactly on the equator get 12 hour day-night cycles, everywhere else, away from the equator, plants get varying light regimes. It is helpful to stop thinking of 12 hour photoperiod as being normal, as it is not. LOL. Free your mind.

Lights give off some heat, the lights off period allows a natural cooling, helps with the lowering of metabolism to augment sugar accumulation. Ideal would be a 10 C or greater day-night temperature change, though indoors, in a home this might not be practical.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12 hours of light is "natural" for only 2 days per year, the vernal and autumnal equinoxes. That's it. Only plants living exactly on the equator get 12 hour day-night cycles, everywhere else, away from the equator, plants get varying light regimes. It is helpful to stop thinking of 12 hour photoperiod as being normal, as it is not. LOL. Free your mind.
Part of the year longer. Part of the year shorter. Balance...?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12 hours of light is "natural" for only 2 days per year, the vernal and autumnal equinoxes. That's it. Only plants living exactly on the equator get 12 hour day-night cycles, everywhere else, away from the equator, plants get varying light regimes. It is helpful to stop thinking of 12 hour photoperiod as being normal, as it is not.
This is very true but respectfully, not of much importance. There are many many tropical bonsai that are in the range of the equator. I am not sure how much the day changes within a few hundred miles of the equatorial line but I am thinking a long day is 14 hours and a short day is 10 hours over a considerable region where many of our tropicals grow. I do 14 hour days because I am interested in keeping things growing, but 10 hours would be just fine for holding plants. There are no tropicals or subtropicals for which a 18 hour photoperiod is normal. Yet 18 hours is a go to for many people growing tropicals. When you have 40 lights burning you may want to rethink this.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Yeah, but she is the major bread winner. She pays the mortgage and buys me a car so its a great deal.
Here are the trays I am using. Sizes are approximated.
22 x 16 x 2 31 x 16 x 2
View attachment 330532View attachment 330535
46 x 16 x 2
View attachment 330540
I just ordered the Bootstrap Farmer trays. Kind of pricey, but the cheaper ones had terrible reviews and unless we move, I'll be needing them every winter. They even come in colors. I really wanted the pink, but that would not have gone over well, so settled on the blue.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just ordered the Bootstrap Farmer trays. Kind of pricey, but the cheaper ones had terrible reviews and unless we move, I'll be needing them every winter. They even come in colors. I really wanted the pink, but that would not have gone over well, so settled on the blue.

I use these and they have other sizes but the prices arent bad at all.

tainoson

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use these and they have other sizes but the prices arent bad at all.

just checked out that site, awesome! wish i had known of it before i bought my trays haha

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These trays are super heavy and will last many years. I have the full trays and the half trays, both with and without holes. I have black and blue trays. They were out of green when I ordered. Pink would have caused some riding from my friends.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Heres a glimpse of my setup, of my south windows. 4 white led supplemental lights on during evening and darker days. Warm mist humidifier as well on low near the tropicals in this corner. Oscillating fan on often. Mist 1 a day water for trop corner then drier plants in other window both watered 1 weekly. Biweekly for hoyas and maybe bougainvillea soon. Lots of mosquito bits I top with for gnat control.
20200926_091253~2.jpg20200926_091332~2.jpg20200920_083310_HDR~2.jpg

@Carol 83this is the game changer along w trays, can fully control and draw water. Did all 50ish of mine prerty clean w 4 refills and 15 mins just now use a screw from the inside out until you see pen tipsize of it on other side
20200926_094805.jpg

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
These trays are super heavy and will last many years. I have the full trays and the half trays, both with and without holes. I have black and blue trays. They were out of green when I ordered. Pink would have caused some riding from my friends.
I received them today, I know on a Sunday! Very pleased, they are really sturdy. I think some of my heavier pots may have cracked or broken the cheaper brands. My husband doesn't like the blue, said I should have gotten black. I told him they didn't have black, not exactly true but they weren't available until November, so no good for me. They are going to make my winter watering SO much easier.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Went ahead and brought mine in this evening. Temps are going to be at or below 50° every night now. Had just the blurple light last year. My parrot's beak went to sleep but my larger BRT went nuts with growth. This year I added a desmodium which obviously required a new light so I got a Spider Farms to supplement. The BRT on the left will head to my office at work probably next week and stay there all winter.

2020-09-30 19.07.39.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Went ahead and brought mine in this evening. Temps are going to be at or below 50° every night now. Had just the blurple light last year. My parrot's beak went to sleep but my larger BRT went nuts with growth. This year I added a desmodium which obviously required a new light so I got a Spider Farms to supplement. The BRT on the left will head to my office at work probably next week and stay there all winter.

View attachment 332310
This made me realize I have a ridiculous amount of trees inside.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
FWIW i get the boot trays at Home Depot, $5 apiece for like 18”x36”. Not sturdy enough to pick up with plants but plenty durable otherwise.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is my messy, sub optimal setup. I’ll use this thread as motivation to get it tidied :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 15

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
these are what i run, two of the 24s for windowsill, plastic and made in America, was in absolute awe. i cant think of anything else made of plastic in the US off top of my head. they are a very nice quality.

Top Bottom