First large yew project

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It looks like a good piece of material - good score. Rather than just leave it alone a year I'd humbly suggest you use extension growth as your guide. When it's throwing 6 inch extensions you know it's recovered and is ready for the next step. Yew tend to need a few seasons to kick back into high gear so patience is needed. Good luck.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd leave it alone for more like 3 years. My sense is that these trees will push growth and look like they have recovered, but what they have done is deplete all their stored energy and will weaken and slowly die thereafter.

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found that you can cut them to no foliage the spring BEFORE digging and sometimes they will bud all over. The sometimes seems to be dependent on the age of the yew or possibly the cultivar, around here the oldest ones are a different cultivar and more recently they are mostly hybrids with Japanese yew... Im not sure what the X factor is. if you cut it back after collection I think you will just set it back or kill it.

The job of digging is much easier with a spade, that flat shovel is the wrong tool. Also an old pair of loppers for cutting roots and a branch saw for cutting bigger roots. Then I like to use a 69 inch digging bar to pry it up as I cut. Anyway, something to think about for next time! Makes the job no prob.!

the yews that have recovered quickest in my care were those that I washed all the field soil off of with the hose imediatly after collection. Keep only that upper fibrous roots and saw off the bottom chunk on next repot. (next time when collecting). And potted in a mix that was about 50% perlite (thats whats cheap around here and they seem to love it)

I agree that six inch extensions are a sign of a very happy yew. Feel free to work hard at this point.

Tony tickle has great youtube vids on handling foliage and yews in general

great dig! good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I saw a similar post on here yesterday about a collected yew so i just thought i share mine. It has exploded with new growth everywhere. I know that that doesn’t necessarily mean anything because it could be growing from stored resources. But, hopefully all of this growth is helping the roots establish themselves.

My other thought now is, if it doesn’t backbud way back on old wood near the trunk, I’m going to have to work with what i got and it is super leggy, and all towards the front and ALL really rigid and old. Styling ideas welcome ?. This might be slightly above my skill set and i might seek help when it comes time to actually work this material.

Disclaimer: I know that i won’t be touching this for about 2 years at least (or 6 inch extensions) and i know the design could completely change.

Front
Closer front
Side
back
side

Attachments

• 36753671-1396-49A8-9B75-209FFDC6455C.jpeg
    36753671-1396-49A8-9B75-209FFDC6455C.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 23
  • CA6441B7-B3B6-40CC-84BE-AAC08AEE90D8.jpeg
    CA6441B7-B3B6-40CC-84BE-AAC08AEE90D8.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 7D2F616F-4145-489F-8BAA-5DE510702587.jpeg
    7D2F616F-4145-489F-8BAA-5DE510702587.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 74B7F7FC-9021-49AC-944E-6A1FEDB44D02.jpeg
    74B7F7FC-9021-49AC-944E-6A1FEDB44D02.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 20
  • F304DAAC-692B-45D1-B5D7-8DA469752A41.jpeg
    F304DAAC-692B-45D1-B5D7-8DA469752A41.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree.

if it doesn’t backbud way back on old wood near the trunk, I’m going to have to work with what i got
You will get more buds than you like once it is established. Prune half of the branches and two million buds will come to you. Key is getting it settled first.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I saw a similar post on here yesterday about a collected yew so i just thought i share mine. It has exploded with new growth everywhere. I know that that doesn’t necessarily mean anything because it could be growing from stored resources. But, hopefully all of this growth is helping the roots establish themselves.

My other thought now is, if it doesn’t backbud way back on old wood near the trunk, I’m going to have to work with what i got and it is super leggy, and all towards the front and ALL really rigid and old. Styling ideas welcome ?. This might be slightly above my skill set and i might seek help when it comes time to actually work this material.

Disclaimer: I know that i won’t be touching this for about 2 years at least (or 6 inch extensions) and i know the design could completely change.

Front
Closer front
Side
back
side

All that new growth is a good sign, true, not out of the woods yet. Let it grow, but sure looks like it will make it.

Top Bottom