Preparing to dig a rather large yew, looking for additional advice in case I am missing something...

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Sweet, yeah I usually allow for the day to work when I grab large trees. Half the day to dig, half a day to pot it up, half a day to drink, half a day to clean up your mess, then to marvel your work after a hot shower. Yes all those halves make a whole.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely stock up on beer and advil for after as well :)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Checked the weather and even if it is a little off this Bear is getting a new home next Wednesday. In the picture I noticed I have a Winter "tummy" so it will be good work :confused:

Attachments

• Target Yew 03242015.JPG
    Target Yew 03242015.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 74

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yews are tough - they are the only conifers I would attempt to be so tough on when it comes to the tops and roots. They aren't wisteria tough though - wisteria can't be killed!
Interesting story about Wisteria. So I went to a public garden about 10 years ago and when I got back I found a Wisteria seed lodged in the tread of my boot. Planted it and it grew. Next year I ran over it with a lawn mower. It lived. The following year I accidentally sprayed with weed killer and it died. Next spring it came back. The following year we moved across country. I had potted it and suddenly it dissapeared. When we got to the new house 3000 miles away, found it wrapped up in a box with the garden furniture. The movers packed it. So after all this thing has been through I figured it deserved a real chance. It is now on the corner of the front porch and is the envy of the neighborhood each spring.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting story about Wisteria. So I went to a public garden about 10 years ago and when I got back I found a Wisteria seed lodged in the tread of my boot. Planted it and it grew. Next year I ran over it with a lawn mower. It lived. The following year I accidentally sprayed with weed killer and it died. Next spring it came back. The following year we moved across country. I had potted it and suddenly it dissapeared. When we got to the new house 3000 miles away, found it wrapped up in a box with the garden furniture. The movers packed it. So after all this thing has been through I figured it deserved a real chance. It is now on the corner of the front porch and is the envy of the neighborhood each spring.

That is a GREAT story and result! Thank you so much for sharing that!

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Checked the weather and even if it is a little off this Bear is getting a new home next Wednesday. In the picture I noticed I have a Winter "tummy" so it will be good work :confused:

Holy organic fertilizer!

I'd skip the before and during beers and get an entire bottle of bourbon for after! A friggin handle.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want a bear so bad. My wife won't let me.
Grimlore. Wow! I like to go after big. I'm trying to talk my sister dig up her 50 plus year old yew hedge. The biggest trunk in there is maybe 6 ".
That is nothing compared to yours. Good luck!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Grimmy,

Since I read this, check out what my genius Google ad turned toWEBPAGE_20150328_053859.jpg

Be careful!

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I want a bear so bad. My wife won't let me.
Grimlore. Wow! I like to go after big. I'm trying to talk my sister dig up her 50 plus year old yew hedge. The biggest trunk in there is maybe 6 ".
That is nothing compared to yours. Good luck!

Best I can tell on this one is the base is at least 10 inches at the soil line but I am guessing there is more. The previous homeowners "topped" the area with landscape cloth and stone, landscape cloth and mulch, and I am not certain how many layers are there:confused: The two main things that might give me a little more work is that red flag indicates where the main power to the unit is and that Yew roots can/will grow into concrete. The unit is on a concrete slab so that rules out winch or a come along making it a hand dig...
In another week or two I am going after a monster wild Wisteria but it will be far easier being in wet soil and neatness will not be required :cool:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Be careful!

Sorce

I expect we are going to have 45 - 55f daytime temps and that the last of the night frosts have passed - That picture rocks!

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree spade also out of the question too. Not enough room. I used to run one.
Glad you posted this so I can see how you fare. You got yourself into a tough dig and really hope it turns out well.
We can't see the trunk in the picture but am assuming it's straight?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tree spade also out of the question too. Not enough room. I used to run one.
Glad you posted this so I can see how you fare. You got yourself into a tough dig and really hope it turns out well.
We can't see the trunk in the picture but am assuming it's straight?

It is difficult to see the base but it appears it is straight for at least 12 - 14 inches and I figure after uncovering the base I will find a few more along with some flare. I am hoping there is a couple of thicker branches that can/could be carved as well.

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy hell Grim.

I really hope that red flag is not a red flag.

You're talking about the weather and I'm talking about whether or not you're gonna crisp up like a J.Maple in the desert! LOL (because I'm pretty sure you will be safe)

I wish for you, A perfect spread of surface roots and excellent feeders in the top layer!

I hope this doesn't lead to a drinking and digging law!
(Tiny signs in the forest. .08 with a shovel instead of a road)

If it tingles, drop that shovel!

This is the most suspenseful thread ever!

Only on the NUT!
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the local hospital and fire house should be notified...you know...to be ready:confused:

Ha! The Fire House is close by and we donate to the Department so I would expect good service if needed :rolleyes: I am being cautious and devoting a day to this one so I suspect all will go well.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Holy hell Grim.

I really hope that red flag is not a red flag.

If it tingles, drop that shovel!

This is the most suspenseful thread ever!

Only on the NUT!
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

I had the line marked so the only problem I "might" encounter "could" be the tap root has grown around it which will require simple hand tools like chisels and such after the chain saw work. It should be an interesting dig if anything :p The only thing I am certain of on this one is it will stay in the box 3 seasons with hopes it survives and allows me to work on it.

Grimmy

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chain saws! Now you are talking my language. Great multitool. As long as you hang on and know how to sharpen them. Have actually shoved them in the grind and cut a circle around a stump before. Very hard on a chain but actually saves a ton of digging. Not recommended for the weak or the weak of heart.
However you go about it. Safety first!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to make sure.. you do realize that yews have VERY dense wood, and my guestimate is that this plant will be too heave to handle alone, even if you cut back to a mere 4 feet..

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Chain saws! Now you are talking my language. Great multitool. As long as you hang on and know how to sharpen them. Have actually shoved them in the grind and cut a circle around a stump before. Very hard on a chain but actually saves a ton of digging. Not recommended for the weak or the weak of heart.
However you go about it. Safety first!

Two heavy duty Carbide chain will allow me to save a bit of time. I will start the dig when we get back from Prince Gallitzin State Park around 11ish and finish before dark. A friend loaned them to me before and I soon learned to proceed slowly as they can get away from you fairly quick. They are fast and the only downside I see is the ground will be wet so its gonna be messy :eek: Those are the only power tools I have ever used on a dig - all the rest have been by hand :confused:

Grimmy

Top Bottom