Frankenstein Tamarix

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Second year in training...left some foliage branches on to allow it to strengthen the tree. Will remove some next year.
image.jpgimage.jpg
There was a boaring larva in that right deadwood section. Not sure why it chose the deadwood. Pondering if I need to treat with anything. But there is a hollow and worm hole area where it went in. It goes back in like a puzzle. So kept the piece of deadwood if I decide to later use it. But might hollow the base on that side maybe instead. Still pondering...
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 1

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice going, Darlene!
Just remember they need repotting every year and cut 1/3 of the rootage each time.
Otherwise they will decline after some years because they fill the pot and die due to lack of adequate water absorption
Searching for a while on the internet for the species I have read the above along with some other notes made by Bob Pressler during a workshop at the California Bonsai Society 2012 Convention.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice going, Darlene!
Just remember they need repotting every year and cut 1/3 of the rootage each time.
Otherwise they will decline after some years because they fill the pot and die due to lack of adequate water absorption
Searching for a while on the internet for the species I have read the above along with some other notes made by Bob Pressler during a workshop at the California Bonsai Society 2012 Convention.
Didn't know that...thanks for the heads up! Will start on that regiment next year. To late this year for that. He knows his stuff...so I will lock it in the mental vault.

Thanks on the complement!
The hubs likes this tree...as do guests...yet he was the first to question me when he said he was tired of looking at it in the yard and I wanted to "save" it. Dasu bonsai have some nice specimen of these. This one was quite pathetic but, I had hoped I could create something like they had. I no longer hide this one around back where company don't visit. It's far less ugly as it once was.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice!
May I suggest that you make your branch selection now and keep only 3 - 5 of them (the most) and cut off the rest.
In this way you save energy for the branches of your design for growing them more vigorously.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice!
May I suggest that you make your branch selection now and keep only 3 - 5 of them (the most) and cut off the rest.
In this way you save energy for the branches of your design for growing them more vigorously.
Was hoping to encourage roots this season. This thing had basically no roots at all a year ago in the spring at repot time. Several aren't wired just there to promote root growth. When it had excessive die back...the roots died back as well with that artic spell.

I am also studying google images as to how many I wish to encorperate into my final image. But appreciate your direction. I have one live vein. So my roots may be one sided when it comes time to repot. Dead wood = no roots.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What is happening...?
I could see the photos while typing but when I posted they are not showing. I can also see them if I hit "edit"
I copied "Image location" and pasted it at the appropriate image icon in order to upload them to forum
Can anyone give me instructions what I have done wrong?
Try this: Download your photos to a file on your computer. Hit the link below attach files. That will call up a list of files on your computer. Double click the file the photo is stored and when the contents of that file are revealed click on the photo and hit the choice below that says choose and it will automatically go to this site. When it loads to this site you can also choose full image and the results should be as below.

Tree below is the first working of an Hinoki Cypress from this spring.

DSC_0214.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@my nellie if you feel that the roots aren't being overly effected by the foliage branches. I will remove a few I mentally have already envisioned gone already. They say these need repotted yearly. But again...it had hardly any roots to support it. That I skipped that this year in hopes the canopy growth would encourage roots.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@my nellie if you feel that the roots aren't being overly effected by the foliage branches. I will remove a few I mentally have already envisioned gone already. They say these need repotted yearly. But again...it had hardly any roots to support it. That I skipped that this year in hopes the canopy growth would encourage roots.
I understand what you say and your action plan.
Winter cold damage is an issue, of course.
Perhaps my suggestion was kind of irrelevant to your conditions... but I do believe that you will have a decent amount of rootball at next repotting.
These are literally "root generators" at my place.
Keep us updated on next repotting, Darlene!

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I understand what you say and your action plan......
...........These are literally "root generators" at my place.

Yupp here too. I made a 2 in branch cutting with no foliage from a Tamarisk tree about 6 months ago and the roots are already circling the 1 gallon nursery pot and coming out the bottom.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I understand what you say and your action plan.
Winter cold damage is an issue, of course.
Perhaps my suggestion was kind of irrelevant to your conditions... but I do believe that you will have a decent amount of rootball at next repotting.
These are literally "root generators" at my place.
It has only had one year in good quality bonsai soil. Being in a controlled greenhouse wintering artic cold should not be an issue any longer. I went ahead and took some off...because I peaked and do have new roots forming. Heavy fertilizing of BioGold and maybe will force the one's kept into hyperdrive. Lol noticing fuller foliage by adding more to the pot. Still do liquid every other week as well.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I use organic, too.
Solid form slow release every month or so and liquid (fish and/or kelp) every other watering for all my trees.

Top Bottom