Had my trees stolen last weekend.

Dblvisn

Seedling
Reaction score
They took my big Fukien, my small bougie, sea grape,Azalea, the bigger bougie, a small shohin pomegranate, a rusty fig, and tiger bark ficus and my laurel oak.
That’s awful! Happened to me once early in my bonsai career

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Man, I am so very sorry to hear that. A theft is a theft, and no one should have to go through that, but I don't think I'd put your plants out front of the house anymore after this. If you really have no room for them in the back, you may want to invest in a driveway alarm such as this: (Amazon link). You can set up one or more sensors per system, and the receiver will beep inside if anyone approaches within 9 meters (just over 27 feet) of one. They're solar powered too, so no worries about batteries dying. They wouldn't prevent a theft if you're not home, but at night at least you'd know if someone was near your trees.

My outside potted plants, the most expensive of which is only worth $100, are currently in our 6 foot fenced in back yard. I'm not all that concerned with theft at the moment, but when I start building up a collection with trees that are worth several hundred dollars or more apiece, then an outdoor alarm system such as the one above will definitely be put in place, in addition to Wi-Fi cameras around the yard. For the price of one $500 tree, you can set up a pretty decent DIY alarm system.

For insurance purposes, I also recommend having your most expensive trees appraised by a professional to document their value.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I

had them strapped with a metal band. Some just better than others I guess:-/

Ah man, that's awful, I'm sorry. I was looking at the pictures and wondering if maybe it was just some drunks and a crime of opportunity, but it sounds like they were ready for it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oh man. I am so sorry. I saw that your video of the theft made the news.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This sucks so much! Sorry for your loss.
just moved from St. Paul (Hamline/midway area) to burbs. I had my big yew out front chained up and the ones in the back yard had privacy fence on either side. Seemed safe enough, but damn. It does worry me.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Oh, and I will definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for those trees!

Mannythered

Seedling
Reaction score
This sucks so much! Sorry for your loss.
just moved from St. Paul (Hamline/midway area) to burbs. I had my big yew out front chained up and the ones in the back yard had privacy fence on ether side. Seemed safe enough, but damn. It does worry me.
Yeah, I would definitely be careful. This is the third occurance

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My son's dog was once found back thanks to a microchip : I don't know anything about this kind of stuff, but could it be a solution, at least for "valuable" bonsai - I'm not talking about mine.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Time to start getting yamadori trees too heavy to lift.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Someone once joked to me about growing toxicodendron as bonsai.
I think I just might start doing this.
Make it beautiful, make it easy to reach, make the bastards regret it.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's foolhardy to have portable stuff of high value in front of the house, on the street. I have two in front but they are large and heavy and not fine specimens, they are only remotely bonsai that look OK from the road, 50 feet away.
Thanks. What's your address?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Someone once joked to me about growing toxicodendron as bonsai.
I think I just might start doing this.
Make it beautiful, make it easy to reach, make the bastards regret it.
Haha yeah and use asbestos mixed with depleted uranium pellets for substrate

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dam sorry for your loss.
I was doing a small wetland restoration years ago in Michigan, one corner was pretty regularly damaged and many of my plants and decorative FACW shrubs were dug up. It looked like local kids doing the damage, beer bottles and cigarettes butts, bait debris (lol, no fish in the pond I had just built it and it hadn’t been through a flood yet ).
I planted poison ivy all along the trail in, and some poison sumac in the water.
the damage decreased enough that the plants were able to get established.
the threat of discomfort is often more powerful than the authorities.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
"Bonsaiolo" developed this, but so far didn't make any money from it. On the contrary, he seems to have invested a lot of time and some money on it, with no reward. But that's a good incentive, innit ?

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Don't stop watching Craigslist, Ebay, and all social media. They didn't steal them to keep. They don't strike me as plant people. I sure hope they show up. They may just be laying low for a while. They're probably scared they're going to die before they can get some money for them so they'll want to get rid of them quickly.

Top Bottom