Has anyone used PlantIt clay pebbles?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm just wondering if anyone uses this and if it's suitable for bonsai (maybe with a little soil or bark added). It says it can be used as a soil substitute for container growing on the bag.

13188_4390_large.jpg

I just can't seem to find a source for most of the recommended bonsai potting materials like pumice or lava or even turface (well I can get lava rock, but only in pieces that are too big). And it just seems impractical to have potting media shipped.

Edit: I looked around more and it seems that they are probably not suitable since they drain too well.

Last edited:

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like a product called Hydroton, I use it for my hydroponic ficus. I know it wicks water and is high fired so it won't break down. What I have, 85% is too large for bonsai, and they're almost round. I've seen a "popcorn" type that looks smaller and is irregular in shape, I would like to try that kind in a bonsai mix.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would try Napa Floor Dry #8822.
I found a few Napas around Milwaukee....

I personally, would go to the one in Beaver Dame!

Why not!?

But seriously....

It is the easiest to acquire always and just needs sifting to be awesome!

Sorce

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I found it was too big for bonsai use, although I was able to crush/break it down into better size. For my environment, it also doesn't hold enough water.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@karen82 ,

if you could get 5 mm or 4 mm or 3 mm sizes, with a little organic matter [ peat moss or compost ]
peat moss hold 15 times it's weight in water
compost holds 20 times it's weight in water ;
Will also hold fertiliser in solution.

You might have heaven,

The ball bearing effect.

[1] Freely draining ----------- oxygen rich soil

[2] Porous and water retaining ,will also retain fertiliser.

We did 2 separate tests at 8 mm [ hand rolled ] clay balls and 3 mm glass spheres ------- perfect.

Trees are all going strong. Also tested glass pitching marbles - works.

Good Growing
Anthony

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have not used these but looks like it might be ok as a filler to mix with other soil.

I use perlite and expanded shale to increase amount of soil mix and decrease the cost of my soil mix. I buy lava, pumice, and a couple other aggregates online. No local sources for some things unfortunately.

If you only need a gallon or two of soil it might be best to buy premixed to start.

Note: When I started, I potted my first couple trees in 100% fine lava. They did ok. There are lots of decent online sellers.

I currently buy various soil aggregate from:
http://www.dallasbonsai.com
https://www.americanbonsai.com

Have fun!

Last edited:

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks again. I've thought about the Napa Floor Dry, I just prefer the idea of using something meant for plants. But it just seems horribly impractical to have large bags of rocks or soil shipped. Maybe I will try ordering a smaller bag of pumice or lava and mixing in perlite.
As you can probably tell, I am kind of new to bonsai, just trying to start getting back into it, I haven't had any for years, ever since I lost some trees over winter. The trees I have now are just potted in what I had at home - potting soil and course sand, and just badly need to be planted in something better draining.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks again. I've thought about the Napa Floor Dry, I just prefer the idea of using something meant for plants. But it just seems horribly impractical to have large bags of rocks or soil shipped. Maybe I will try ordering a smaller bag of pumice or lava and mixing in perlite.
As you can probably tell, I am kind of new to bonsai, just trying to start getting back into it, I haven't had any for years, ever since I lost some trees over winter. The trees I have now are just potted in what I had at home - potting soil and course sand, and just badly need to be planted in something better draining.

We all try reinventing the wheel with soils, and honestly, it seems most folks stumble on an answer that works best for them, years later discover something they feel works better, and then loudly swear off the old way completely, regardless of what it was.

I can second that those pellets are too big (unless you maybe tried mixing them like Anthony suggests, hadn't considered that before), napa 8822 (or the O'reilly's equivillent. both are 100% diatomaceous Earth [DE]) is a fine product (just don't breathe it), and that you can make almost any combination of porous inorganic media work as long as you don't forget to add humic acids. This is a gross generalization, of course, but when it comes to soils there has been plenty of ink and blood shed on the topic.

(If you don't want to order clay from Japan or buy bags of Boone's mix, the next most common mix I see, and I'm fond of myself, is 1/8" to 1/4" particles mixed as one parts each of DE, pumice, and scoria. I then dose my soil regularly with humic acid whenever I fertilize.)

tree4me

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone tried it for just the drainage layer at the bottom of the pot?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you can make almost any combination of porous inorganic media work as long as you don't forget to add humic acids. This is a gross generalization, of course, but when it comes to soils there has been plenty of ink and blood shed on the topic
I've never added humic acid.
Just miracle grow.
And I've been using the Napa #8822 longer than most people.

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Has anyone tried it for just the drainage layer at the bottom of the pot?

I didn't have a better pot when I collected this lodgepole so I used hydroton as a drainage topped with unsifted lava. The trees still in its original clay soil. The pics not the best but you should be able to see the water banding. From the rim down the pot is wet then a dry band then wet at the bottom. The dry spot is about where the lava is so the hydroton + whatever fines are washed down are keeping the very bottom wet. 20170720_170236.jpg

Top Bottom