Heat wave

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Were having a heat wave arriving in 1-2 days and expected to last 4-5 days. Temperature expected to reach around 35-38 degrees celsius (95-100 F) we only get that high temperature at worst days in mid summer (Aug) and that's typically for only 1-2 days and not every year. So to have that this early is very weird. I have around 25 newly reported trees which I can't shade all. To make it worse it is a dry heat wave whereas in summer the heat here is couple with high humidity. I'm planning the following
2 watering per day
Misting the foliage couple times a day ? Is that risky during sunny time ?
Moving all trees to shaded/less exposed side of the garden and possibly grouping trees with sensitive ones in the middle.
Trees are:
Olives not repoted yet
Spruce all reported
Juniper all reported
Acer palmatum repotted
Trident maple repotted
Red woods repotted
Elm repotted
Carmona repotted
Thanks for any suggestions especially pointing out more vulnerable trees. I also have 2 gardens I can move trees to one gets 3-4 hours noon sun and less wind. Other gets sun starting noon till evening with more wind exposure. Can also move 3-4 trees maybe inside the home.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The olive will be fine, juniperus too but since you repotted these I'd keep them in shade.

All the others are also repotted so put them in as much shade as possible
Misting will be good, sun doesn't burn leaves trough water that's a myth. Only thing when that's possible when something like a chemical or fert is added to the water.

We have had some decent sunny days already as well I've seen an item on the news that because of the low flight traffic and lockdowns there is less co2 pollution and because of that less clouds and more direct sunlight causing stronger sunshine I won't be surprised if that has something to do with it!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
35-38 is a heatwave????
That sounds like a balmy summer day to me. We don't count unless it stays above 40C for 5 days.

Acer palmatum would be the only one I would be concerned about. They don't like dry heat at the best of times so if you have a cooler, shady spot for that one I'm sure it would appreciate the help.
Olives and tridents should have no problem with those mild temps if they get plenty of water so twice a day should be good.
It is probably worth giving the other freshly repotted trees some shade if possible but if not the extra water and some misting or just a spray with the hose a couple of times through the day should help.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Its reassuring to see those temperatures ain't really a risk. My concern was.mainlynas temonwas jumping from 20 ish to upper 30s in couple days and just few weeks after repots. Will place Acer inside the home I guess and others will shade and most as advised thanks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ignore it!

In 3 days you'll be like....

'I was gonna do what?, That would have been a waste of time and effort!"

Moving freshly repotted trees is a more dangerous human inflicted action than...
A tree .....growing.....in the sun.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Keep them wet in the daytime. Misting is bad when humidity is high and temps low, and a waste of time when the humidity is low and temps high. If you have any way to shield the pots (I don't suppose you have any mulch like leaves or wood chips) that would help. As long as transpiration is the major force removing water from soil, the trees should be OK, even though they would be happier with mid day and afternoon protection from direct sun (at your temps). Anything to shield the pots, -leaning boards, screen, aluminum foil, etc., that allows air circulation underneath so it doesn't trap the heat, it will make pots cooler and things better.

Top Bottom