Help troubleshoot azaleas in equatorial climate

anakgelap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi... I'm from Indonesia sorry if my English is not good because I use Translation. I just started bonsai, and about a year ago I bought Azaleas (I don't know the specific ID, at the time I bought them they weren't blooming) and I have kept them without messing with them all this year, but never produced flowers. Flower buds always appear, but dry quickly and fall off before they become flowers. However, the tree grows very fertile.

Are there any specific tips for caring for Azaleas in pots?
Or is the climate of the equator unsuitable for Azaleas to flower?

Thank you if you give me advice.

IMG_20210527_001.jpg IMG_20210527_002.jpg IMG_20210527_003.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It shouldn't be unsuitable.

Soil picture? It may remain too wet.

Also, if they were shipped in from elsewhere, it may take some adjustment time before it gets used to having flowers there.

If the green is growing, it is a good sign!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Brown buds can be a fungal infection which is more common in damp, humid conditions. My guess is this is the problem in Indonesia. You may be able to beat it with a fungicide or keep the plants somewhere the leaves and buds do not get wet all the time.
Do you see azaleas flowering in any gardens in your area? There is usually a reason why a particular sort of plant is not grown in gardens - does not suit the climate or soil are 2 major reasons.

anakgelap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

It shouldn't be unsuitable.

Soil picture? It may remain too wet.

Also, if they were shipped in from elsewhere, it may take some adjustment time before it gets used to having flowers there.

If the green is growing, it is a good sign!

Sorce

I am saddened to know that Azaleas are not suited to equatorial climates, but you also gave hope by saying "it may take some adjustment time before it gets used to having flowers there".

Here is a picture of the soil surface in the pot.

IMG_20210528_012.jpg

How about the land I use in your opinion Sorce?

Yes, the tree is growing well and the branches are getting thick which makes me defend it.

IMG_20210528_013.jpg

anakgelap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put the tree in direct sun without shade, and it doesn't seem like it's wet all day. Can you tell what type of fungicide is suitable for the Azalea species?

There are many varieties of local azaleas and they grow in the mountains and bloom in season, photos are often shared by forest managers on their social media pages. However, near where I live, have never seen Azaleas planted. It is rare to sell it here because most of the local species are protected.
Brown buds can be a fungal infection which is more common in damp, humid conditions. My guess is this is the problem in Indonesia. You may be able to beat it with a fungicide or keep the plants somewhere the leaves and buds do not get wet all the time.
Do you see azaleas flowering in any gardens in your area? There is usually a reason why a particular sort of plant is not grown in gardens - does not suit the climate or soil are 2 major reasons.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil looks quite "too wet".

Better to fix all environmentals before applying fungicide to cure poor environmentals.

Sorce

anakgelap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soil looks quite "too wet".

Better to fix all environmentals before applying fungicide to cure poor environmentals.

Sorce

Thank you sorce for your valuable advice. If it's too wet, I'll replace it.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Elevation matters as a moderator of temperature. What elevation do they grow at in Indonesia? Also, the winds shift in your seasons bringing diametric changes in rain/moisture. Do they grow only on one side of the mountains? Most people would be surprised to hear that there are 16,000 feet tall mountains with snow and skiing at the equator. Where there's snow, there's a more moderate zone below that and above the torrid zones below. Mix in the factors of monsoon and dry season winds and the sky's the limit on what grows where. If OP is at sea level maybe he should fall in love with Bougainvillea and forsake his unrequited love of Azalea? This illustration is blurry, but you can see the different zones...
map treeline a.JPG

Last edited:

anakgelap

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Elevation matters as a moderator of temperature. What elevation do they grow at in Indonesia? Also, the winds shift in your seasons bringing diametric changes in rain/moisture. Do they grow only on one side of the mountains? Most people would be surprised to hear that there are 16,000 feet tall mountains with snow and skiing at the equator. Where there's snow, there's a more moderate zone below that and above the torrid zones below. Mix in the factors of monsoon and dry season winds and the sky's the limit on what grows where. If OP is at sea level maybe he should fall in love with Bougainvillea and forsake his unrequited love of Azalea? This illustration is blurry, but you can see the different zones...
View attachment 377410

The local azaleas here mostly grow in the middle to the top of the mountain (probably around 3280-4920 feet). I don't know which side of the mountain they grew.

Unfortunately my knowledge is not that far, but I will learn little by little what you say.

That's right, Bougainvillea grows very well here, they are always in full bloom even if not cared for properly, and I have them already. But I want to nurture and do many things with Azaleas, because I am new to bonsai so curiosity still fills my mind.

Thank you Forsoothe for your valuable advice.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This LINK discusses Indonesian weather extensively with specifics about locations and N,S, E & W directions that mean something to you, but not us outsiders. Hopefully it will help you figure out if you can find species that will grow where you are. Good Luck!

Top Bottom