How about this bonsai basin?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I got it to work Cofga. Select pot color at left, select size, even though only one size available, add to cart and then it will want you to select color or size again, don't argue with it, just do it again, and then add to cart. A little touchy, but it does work. I am wondering about the freight though on multiple pots.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I got it to work Cofga. Select pot color at left, select size, even though only one size available, add to cart and then it will want you to select color or size again, don't argue with it, just do it again, and then add to cart. A little touchy, but it does work. I am wondering about the freight though on multiple pots.

Yes, I just checked and it works fine on my iMac but not on my iPad. I even rebooted the iPad and restarted the browser. I’ll see what it does when I use a different browser.

OK, works fine with Chrome on the iPad but not with Safari.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well thanks for getting that all set up, but I am a bit worried about receiving them and if I buy 3-10 pots is there a break on shipping? I would also like to know for sure if there is going to be extra charges like the tariff Rock mentioned. Living in a remote area like I do (yes we have flush toilets and running water) where any "port of entry' might be. A little scary and confusing to me.

The port of entry depends on shipping. If the seller ships via ocean, then the port is probably the nearest city to you on the ocean. If it is coming air freight, the nearest international airport. Cheapest shipping is in shipbound container. I imported one off pots from Horst Heinzelreiter back in the day. He shipped two day air freight via Lufthansa. Pots were held at Lufthansa's shipping facility at Dulles Airport which is about 20 miles from me. I had to schedule time from work to go pick them up after they cleared customs. I then had to settle with Lufthansa on extra duties and shipping costs.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/OR

FWIW, I have been avoiding Chinese containers for a few years now. There are better, more easily obtained and mostly cheaper Japanese pots coming into the U.S. by the thousands. I've had high end Chinese pots for years. My big live oak has been in one for going on two decades now. I have found the quality can be a crap shoot. Some are good, some are sold as good but are crap. I've never had that issue with Japanese-made pots...just sayin...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I have seen recently when you buy internationally if it is for personal use and the stated value is under a certain amount (either $800 or $2000 are two values I have seen quoted) then there is no import duty assessed. Importing for business purposes is a whole different thing.
It is far from clear cut-consumer goods are affected. If you're buying more than a couple of pots this could come into play.
https://www.businessinsider.com/rob...de-representative-confirms-tariff-hike-2019-5

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The port of entry depends on shipping. If the seller ships via ocean, then the port is probably the nearest city to you on the ocean. If it is coming air freight, the nearest international airport. Cheapest shipping is in shipbound container. I imported one off pots from Horst Heinzelreiter back in the day. He shipped two day air freight via Lufthansa. Pots were held at Lufthansa's shipping facility at Dulles Airport which is about 20 miles from me. I had to schedule time from work to go pick them up after they cleared customs. I then had to settle with Lufthansa on extra duties and shipping costs.

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/OR

FWIW, I have been avoiding Chinese containers for a few years now. There are better, more easily obtained and mostly cheaper Japanese pots coming into the U.S. by the thousands. I've had high end Chinese pots for years. My big live oak has been in one for going on two decades now. I have found the quality can be a crap shoot. Some are good, some are sold as good but are crap. I've never had that issue with Japanese-made pots...just sayin...

I’ve purchased a lot of Chinese products off eBay for the last couple years, most of it electronics—LED light strips, power supplies, etc. All has been been shipped via mail packets and arrived in about a week without any issues or delays or tariffs. Right now I have more on order from Hong Kong, the UK, and Canada so I will be interested to see how those go. The Chinese pots I gphabe recently purchased were imported by a company in California so they paid the customs when they imported them. I don’t know of any American potters who will sell a 16” oval unglazed pot for under $100. My wife who is a potter with her own studio etc., took one look at the stuff I was buying and told me she wouldn’t make it for that. I have a stash of Japanese pots I bought in Fairfax about 40 years ago that have held up real well and I imagine the recent ones are just as good, but I also remember when Made in Japan was a joke too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve purchased a lot of Chinese products off eBay for the last couple years, most of it electronics—LED light strips, power supplies, etc. All has been been shipped via mail packets and arrived in about a week without any issues or delays or tariffs. Right now I have more on order from Hong Kong, the UK, and Canada so I will be interested to see how those go. The Chinese pots I gphabe recently purchased were imported by a company in California so they paid the customs when they imported them. I don’t know of any American potters who will sell a 16” oval unglazed pot for under $100. My wife who is a potter with her own studio etc., took one look at the stuff I was buying and told me she wouldn’t make it for that. I have a stash of Japanese pots I bought in Fairfax about 40 years ago that have held up real well and I imagine the recent ones are just as good, but I also remember when Made in Japan was a joke too.
I'm just saying I HAVE Chinese pots. They're OK, some are excellent. Some are crap. There are some you can't tell the difference, until they crack, leach through, lose their outer coating (engobe) or glazes...etc. I understand the price point is attractive, not saying not to buy. Just saying that there are a few things to think about as far as value goes. I'd be surprised, BTW, if that 16" pot actually is under $100 when it arrives at your door...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Americans should start to look at supporting local based potters if they are producing quality pots.

Atta' boy!!! @Peter44 you should check out our very own @Soldano666 .....you can ignore the number stuff, he's a great guy. And does excellent bonsai pottery!! That's what counts!:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Plenty of pottery here, why go overseas? Unless your looking for a crate of , well, who know's what?!?!:D:D:D:D:D:D

....sounds like a lot of footwork for everyone involved.....carry on...:p:cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For those that don't know.....when a business imports goods via containers they pay the customs/import fees, as well as the shipping costs. Don't think for a minute that you the consumer is not paying the fees and shipping. All that is incorporated into the price that you are buying the item for. A company is not going to eat those costs and have it affect their return/profit. "We the people" pay it....blindly.

Just think if a company is selling "x" pot for say $5.......what do you really think they paid for it if they bought it wholesale/bulk. I would be willing to say less than $1 on their end.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm just saying I HAVE Chinese pots. They're OK, some are excellent. Some are crap. There are some you can't tell the difference, until they crack, leach through, lose their outer coating (engobe) or glazes...etc. I understand the price point is attractive, not saying not to buy. Just saying that there are a few things to think about as far as value goes. I'd be surprised, BTW, if that 16" pot actually is under $100 when it arrives at your door...

Actually it was 15” and it’s sitting on my back porch and it was only $79.99. Here is a photo. I have it reserved for either my large trident or one of my other big boys.

BC45FFBF-3C07-46D2-89C2-E6D98DEC829F.jpeg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yes the pots the OP shows are nice looking and the price is sure right, but not being able to break him in pieces if they are not good in use, does bother me. Also, how do we even know he is legit?

LanceMac...I have considered using Soldano, but the numbers behind that are scary to me. Knowing what they mean, I have no idea why anyone would brand themselves with that number.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had the pot under this live oak for going on 20 years. It's Chinese 22 x 15 x 6 or so. It's been a very good pot. Unlike a few others, including some larger Chinese pots I've owned over the years.

I've noticed they have particular problems in winter storage outside. Since they're relatively thinner in construction they can crack and spall--sometimes glazes separate from the clay.

This one has been stored with the tree in a cold mostly frost free greenhouse in the winter. It's starting to show one of the other issues that Chinese pots have--mineral leach through the pot wall. It's not a huge deal with it yet, but over time it has become more noticeable. I've also had pots that show this within five years. Haven't had any of that kind of thing with larger (and more expensive) Japanese made pots...

live oak.jpg

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
You should. He makes great pots and is a super nice guy.
Thanks guys. Carol despite having many set backs on your ovals here's a pick of 4 survivors. Let me know which 2 you like and I'll get em out with the other ones. If you don't like holler. I should be back in the studio now that I'm about wrapped up repotting season. Lighting sucks but that one is really purple compared to the teals of the one under it.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190509_202117.jpg
    MVIMG_20190509_202117.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 17
  • MVIMG_20190509_202146.jpg
    MVIMG_20190509_202146.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 17

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Yes the pots the OP shows are nice looking and the price is sure right, but not being able to break him in pieces if they are not good in use, does bother me. Also, how do we even know he is legit?

LanceMac...I have considered using Soldano, but the numbers behind that are scary to me. Knowing what they mean, I have no idea why anyone would brand themselves with that number.
Just a number buddy

Reaction score
WuXi JiangSuChina YiXing DingShu TaoLiRenChangYuan
Well thanks for getting that all set up, but I am a bit worried about receiving them and if I buy 3-10 pots is there a break on shipping? I would also like to know for sure if there is going to be extra charges like the tariff Rock mentioned. Living in a remote area like I do (yes we have flush toilets and running water) where any "port of entry' might be. A little scary and confusing to me.
You can rest assured that 10 pots are far less than $800, so you only need express delivery. EMS is the fastest. If you want to spend less, you can choose some cheaper modes of transportation. Although the customs clearance is slower, there is a platform guarantee that you will not lose money on your products. If the buyer does not receive the goods in 60 days, Al will trade on AliExpress. AliExpress will automatically refund the money to the buyer, so the buyer will not take any risk, all the risk is passed on to the seller.

Reaction score
I looked at your link and have a couple questions. First when I click on the different image selections the main display photo doesn’t change so it is impossible to see the full size image and also leaves me wondering which pot wil be ordered. On Amazon the main image changes when you select a different color product and that color or cinfiguratin is what is ordered. Another question is what temperature do you fire your pots to? This is a concern for those of use who live in areas that undergo large chanfes in temperature and humidity as it affects the long term stability of the pot. Glad you were able to get the store set up.
I tried, and now I can click on the image to display a large image.
The firing temperature of purple sand flowerpot is between pottery and porcelain, about 1200 degrees Celsius, so it is stronger and more breathable than pottery.

Reaction score
So what you're saying is Trump is making cheap Chinese goods..........expensive cheap Chinese goods, lol?

Americans should start to look at supporting local based potters if they are producing quality pots.

I agree with this point very much, but each type of flowerpot has its own characteristics. The purple sand civilization has a history of more than 2400 years but has not been eliminated, which proves that it is excellent. It is a supplement to the existing flowerpots. It can not replace Japanese glazed pots, pottery pots, stone flowerpots, plastic flowerpots and so on. It's just a different breed.

I've seen a lot of people mocking Trump on the Internet, but I admire him for his effectiveness, even though he doesn't seem to be so reliable.

Top Bottom