How to correctly season bonsai tools.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bury in moist soil for at least 3 years. Then ok to use....

View attachment 464807
Salt Bae | Know Your Meme

Add a splash of salt and you are good to go

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
And here I was thinking about coating with oil and baking it so sap won't stick to it... LOL

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
those look pretty pitted. But I’ve totally restored metal tools that had been outside for severa years with simply using citric acid. Tools covered in rust. Pour some citric in a bucket with hot water from the sink and just pop the tools in for a day or maybe even a couple hours. The steel will turn black. Just wipe off and oil. They can look brand new. Warm the tool up to release the moisture in the tool and apply oil or wax for better resistance to moisture. But if it is tempered steel don’t heat to hot to touch. I’m terrible about leaving tools outside lol this method has saved some money for sure.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found one of the simplest maint methods . I simple have a can or several if you like . With automatic transmission fluid in it .after using my most common tools I just place them in the oil working end down. To above he hinge . When you go to use them just wipe them off . I don’t even clean them before dunking . ATF is a light oil that has a lot of cleaners in it they will come out spotless clean no rust hinge always lubricated . Also good long term storage in a zip lock bag with just enough oil to make them damp
. Push out as much air as you can . Use cheap ATF for older cars . Some of the new stuff stinks

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a
How many kilowatt hours does that use? How does the cost of the electricity compare with the cost of a new hammer? A new hammer is pretty cheap. Though it may actually be cost effective for high quality tools accidentally allowed to rust.
Correct, you do this sort of thing for fun

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How many kilowatt hours does that use? How does the cost of the electricity compare with the cost of a new hammer? A new hammer is pretty cheap. Though it may actually be cost effective for high quality tools accidentally allowed to rust.
You run a low voltage current. I have used it to restore some pretty rusted pieces of hardware. However if the iron is gone, it's gone. Usually you end up with a piece of clean, but pitted, iron.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
several uses come to mind . Rusted metal
Chemically or electric cleaned has character . Mounted in clear epoxy maybe in a turntable . Separate the 1/2s you have 2 cool
Handles for a small tray for tools They are hardened steel . Re sharpen and reshape As a pair of deadwood carving tools Attach each piece to a bench as a tie down for trees . Etc etc

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It would be a good test for a products such as WD40/Q20, i know the Q20 (locally produced) product used for lubrications claims to get rid of all rust, i've used it to clean up garden shears that were left in the garden for about a year and was pretty amazed at the results, but they didn't look as bad as these scissors tho. But would be interesting to see.

Top Bottom