USDA Zone
Quick question....

Why for take off the right branch?

This is a test.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a fair answer. I was just curious why people seem to choose the line of a tree with the least movement or drama. While the tree you have chosen in black shows pretty good taper, it lacks any drama or visual speed in the line of the trunk. How about taking off the larger bulk of the left trunk, rotating the tree to the left and utilize the great directional change in the line of the trunk while creating much better taper.

Might be a year longer project being you may have a larger scar to deal with but big deal, IMO the tree would reflect more charecter.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thats a fair answer. I was just curious why people seem to choose the line of a tree with the least movement or drama. While the tree you have chosen in black shows pretty good taper, it lacks any drama or visual speed in the line of the trunk. How about taking off the larger bulk of the left trunk, rotating the tree to the left and utilize the great directional change in the line of the trunk while creating much better taper.

Might be a year longer project being you may have a larger scar to deal with but big deal, IMO the tree would reflect more charecter.

Oh. I see what you mean. You've definitely given me something to think about now. I'll think it over while the tree recovers....

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sorry Al, I thought about what you said but I just wanted to see what I could do with this guy using my own ideas, aka making the tree my own with my own styling thoughts, ya know? Here is the tree as of today, showing backbud from the chop on October 23rd:
001-150.jpg

002-156.jpg

003-149.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This tree became sick (probably due to bugs) and dropped lots of leaves since I last updated. I'm hoping a big reason it did this was due to being extremely potbound. So I slip potted it today and picked a new front.

Before:
018-12.jpg

Repot:
004-35.jpg

007-28.jpg

New front:
016-13.jpg

18.jpg

Comments are always welcome.

reg-i

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience being pot bound wouldn't do that ficus don't mind did it get to cold

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
In my experience being pot bound wouldn't do that ficus don't mind did it get to cold

Yeah I'm doubting it would do this as well. Must've been bugs. Oh well, trees been sprayed down now, so it should recover just fine.

Here's a better shot of the future tree:
025.JPG

Only problem is the branches that I want to use as future branches come from the back side of the tree instead of the sides of it. Hmm.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What happened to the top half you layered off? I would've like to see you keep one of the 2 left branches you said you were cutting from the 1st picture. The reason is air layered trees usually have nice root spread and therefore the tree can be lifted up to expose them over time and having low branchese close the the soil surface help keep the tree short and compact looking.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What happened to the top half you layered off? I would've like to see you keep one of the 2 left branches you said you were cutting from the 1st picture. The reason is air layered trees usually have nice root spread and therefore the tree can be lifted up to expose them over time and having low branchese close the the soil surface help keep the tree short and compact looking.

Unfortunately the top didn't make it. Actually, I was out of town for a few days and the "plant sitter" failed to do her job, so those cuttings were the victim of what happened. Oh well :(

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately the top didn't make it. Actually, I was out of town for a few days and the "plant sitter" failed to do her job, so those cuttings were the victim of what happened. Oh well :(

I always wondered the best way to take care of a air layered cutting. Last year I did a couple where I just lean the tree against the side of its pot without holes on the bottom. Soaked the soil with alot of water and left for vacation for a week. They survived quite nicely. I usually see roots in the spagnum moss in just 2 to 3 weeks and I pot it up by the 4th week w/o waiting. Good luck with the rest of the tree, there's plenty more where that came from.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
This is what I'm shooting for, only with the right branch a little higher:
fvi.JPG

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like your plan. I got a few that's growing in my outdoor grow bed. When they get think enough I'll chop some down like yours.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like your plan. I got a few that's growing in my outdoor grow bed. When they get think enough I'll chop some down like yours.

Thanks. I cut it back today.

Before:
002-53.jpg

After:
005-52.jpg

006-49.jpg

Comments welcome.

linlaoboo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
are you going to remove more of the top of the trunk with a concave cutter some more and wire the leader into position better? Since there's still a litt that sticks out, I'm thinking it might throw more shoots up there.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Well, I'm going to see if I get any shoots to pop in that area I left above the current leader. If I do, I may just choose one of those buds to become the new leader. If not, I'll cut it back.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I cut the branches back to the first set of leaves or so in order to get some backbudding on the branches to occur:
008.JPG

I've had this tree for one year come this May 9th. Crazy how much it's changed since I bought it...

Baldemotions

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Did you take any one year birthday pictures? Ok I know from April 30th to may 9th there will not be much growth but just wondering.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Did you take any one year birthday pictures? Ok I know from April 30th to may 9th there will not be much growth but just wondering.

Shoot. Should've done that. I packaged this tree all up for this coming week when I won't be home, and I forgot to take pictures of it. It's budded back mostly on the branches. I'll post an update picture when I get home from my cruise next Saturday.

Top Bottom