I really need some help/guidance! Is it too late?

OrganicSeasonal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello all. I have been researching what to do with my jbp, and constantly held off doing work on it. I think I know to snap off candles(also that they become branch), and you must do so strategically for structure of tree. Can some people chime in where I should start, I'm afraid to do anything. I feel the candles are already too big. I'm really in over my head here, it's just that I paid so much and care so much for the tree. This has been causing me great anxiety. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is not too late - DON'T PANIC!!

Sometime around the 4th of July is when these spring candles would be removed, for example. New buds will form at the cut and 'winter shoots' will grow that will probably have shorter needles. Further, you likely have way too many branches in whorls. August is a good time to remove extra branches - again, for example.

Meanwhile, you need to decide what you are wanting to make of this tree. My first reaction is that everything above the first whorl on the left trunk is a sacrifice - its sole purpose is to thicken the trunk from the ground up to the first whorl. My first thought about the right side trunk is that it could be the mother or father of a mother-daughter or father-son composition, but then, ... hmmmm, ... I dunno about that, ... , wonder if the trunk can be bent at this point, ... hmmmm. Oh yah, forgot. It is your tree. You must decide what you envision. Then you likely will get better advice.

Again, get your towel (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ;)

OrganicSeasonal

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks guys... I was about to drink myself to death to deal with the anxiety, I think I'll just go for a jog instead now. Currently in the process of buying some rapeseed cakes to add to his fish emulsion regime. Thank you so much.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why don't you find a teacher in your area? I think Peter Tea is in San Jose - that's not far from Gilroy, is it?

Scott

Top Bottom